Defensive Line Breakdown

MCMLXXX

This is an area where better play could improve our defense quickly.  Improvement may come from a different scheme.

We consistently played 3 down linemen (there was actually one game last year where we played 2).  We seldom got any pass rush from our interior, even when we slid the front.  To get pressure, we had to bring people from the second level and play man in the secondary.  We got exposed in man coverage when we tried to stunt. 

Short, fat, and slow is no way to go through life or a season.  We have to be more athletic with our front.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, UNT86 said:

This is an area where better play could improve our defense quickly.  Improvement may come from a different scheme.

We consistently played 3 down linemen (there was actually one game last year where we played 2).  We seldom got any pass rush from our interior, even when we slid the front.  To get pressure, we had to bring people from the second level and play man in the secondary.  We got exposed in man coverage when we tried to stunt. 

Short, fat, and slow is no way to go through life or a season.  We have to be more athletic with our front.

I'm glad Novil is back because he'll be a very important piece to the overall defense. I just wonder who will step up in La'Darius Hamilton's spot

24 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I'm glad Novil is back because he'll be a very important piece to the overall defense. I just wonder who will step up in La'Darius Hamilton's spot

Going to be tough to replace Hambone, but this guy will likely line up in that spot:
https://247sports.com/player/davontae-mccrae-94149/

• Upvote 3

One name that is on the Spring roster (which didn't happen) is Bryce English.  Wasn't he granted another season of eligibility due to his foot injury?

If he could get back to some semblance of his former self and with Novil and McCrae at tackle and end respectively and if Dotson can live up to his billing we could have a very decent defensive line.  I'm thinking that English would only play in a four-man line because I believe that he will still lack agility.

Last year he tried but saw limited duty.  But, he was quoted as saying in effect, the only problem to his recovery was him (the guy in the mirror).