Who do you Predict the next UNT QB will be?

Who do you predict the next UNT QB will be?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you predict the next UNT QB will be?

• Jason Bean
    • Austin Aune
    • Will Kuehne
    • Kason Martin
    • Quinn Shanbour
    • Not currently on roster

Bean

22.4% of carries were stopped at or behind the LOS last season. We were bottom 30 in every run blocking metric. With a new OL coach (who I'm not sold on by any means) and a couple JUCO signings who won't get spring practice I'm not high on either I doubt we see a significant jump in run blocking. That's why having a mobile QB is huge if we can actually run the read option and keep a defender at bay to honor the QB keep more holes will open up. The only thing that scares me is whether or not Bean is good enough as a passer for teams to not crowd the box negating the positive. I sure hope Bean is up to the task.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

Who was the QB at Locust Grove this past year ?

Looks like sophomore Jakobe Bible.  Gotta wait a couple more years if you are interested in him. 

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/jakobe-bible/gI3mUZzKEeiAxKkkK9HIDg/default.htm

By the way, Locust Grove had a record of 2-8 last year. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If Bean can show some growth and move past the whole "dear in head lights" thing, the job is his hands down. But he may not be able to do that. If he can't, Austin Aune is ready to lead this team. I'm good either way. 

Also, i still think there's a good chance we add another QB before fall camp.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

14 hours ago, agw0038 said:

If Bean can show some growth and move past the whole "dear in head lights" thing, the job is his hands down. But he may not be able to do that. If he can't, Austin Aune is ready to lead this team. I'm good either way. 

I think nerves got to Bean last season (mainly La Tech game), but I would think with a year under pressure he’ll be good. 
Now I’ve screamed this since right after the UAB game, START AUNE!!!!!!

• Upvote 6

On 3/29/2020 at 6:01 PM, agw0038 said:

Seems like he's been here about three years now. If he hasn't gotten over the "deer in the headlights" thing (or happy feet as I call it) it isn't likely he ever will. When I did my assessment of all the QB's in the fall of Mason Fines freshman year, my main assessment of him was that "he oozes confidence from every pore". 

Now, good coaching helps that situation, and even improves that situation, but it doesn't give it to you. MF had it when he walked onto the practice field. And no amount of getting banged around by what must have seemed to him like freaks of nature was able to change it...…..and it showed.  I wouldn't say that Aune has that level of confidence, but in the limited time that I've seen him in scrimmage situations, and games, he seemed pretty unrattled.

Other QB's I've observed that seemed to naturally "have it" (in chronological order).... Ken Washington (but he still had happy feet), Jordan Case, Joe Stevenson, Greg Carter, Rusty Hill, Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, Jason Mills, Scott Hall, Daniel Maeger, Giovanni Vizza and (for the most part) Riley Dodge.   

I saw Vidal Carlin play twice and Steve Ramsey only in a spring scrimmage. In Vidal Carlin's case I only paid attention to how he got the ball to John Love. The rest of the time, because I was in one of the Bands invited to the homecoming game, I paid much more attention to what the twirlers of the other Bands sitting around me looked like. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Well I think I've had a change in my mind. I think we need a transfer or grad transfer QB with experience. I know Aune is like 27, but does he really have that much experience? Yes the last transfer QB (Alex Morris) got beat out by a freshman, but I mean it's worth it.

I doubt it happens, but I can only dream

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well I think I've had a change in my mind. I think we need a transfer or grad transfer QB with experience. I know Aune is like 27, but does he really have that much experience? Yes the last transfer QB (Alex Morris) got beat out by a freshman, but I mean it's worth it.

I doubt it happens, but I can only dream

QB transfers need to take place during spring ball so that they get ready to really compete in the fall. Yes, I know that Mason Fine was a fall arrival, but we actually have some viable choices this year...….more so than the fall that MF arrived. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

My money would be on Austin Aune.  His composite rating when he left high school was .8646.  I know that was a long time ago but he has kept active and in shape physically over the years   In my limited remembrance of scrimmages he looked to me that he hasn't lost much.  

With the excellent stable of receivers that we have I believe that we need the most accurate passer as the starter and that's Aune.  Kason Martin has shown good passing stats on a very limited basis.  Kuehne had the second highest composite rating of the four scholarship quarterbacks but no experience yet.  Bean is such a terrific athlete that he will likely find a way to play this year in some capacity.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

My money would be on Austin Aune.  His composite rating when he left high school was .8646.  I know that was a long time ago but he has kept active and in shape physically over the years   In my limited remembrance of scrimmages he looked to me that he hasn't lost much.  

With the excellent stable of receivers that we have I believe that we need the most accurate passer as the starter and that's Aune.  Kason Martin has shown good passing stats on a very limited basis.  Kuehne had the second highest composite rating of the four scholarship quarterbacks but no experience yet.  Bean is such a terrific athlete that he will likely find a way to play this year in some capacity.

I wonder why and how Martin fell off the depth chart so far

• Upvote 5