Madness

Greenrex

The NCAA’s decision to cancel March Madness means that at the end of the 2019-20 school year, Division I schools will divvy up $225 million, which is just 37.5 percent of the anticipated $600 million in revenue the group planned to pass on to its member institutions. Of that, $50 million will come from its reserves, and the rest from a line of credit that the NCAA will pay off by next June, which is when it will get the anticipated $270 million event cancellation insurance payout. This will have a massive impact on lots of college athletics programs, many of which will have to contend with no longer being the most important part of their schools’ revenue engine. Typically, about 80 percent of NCAA revenue is derived from March Madness. Most depressing of all, the share of those revenues that go to the very athletes whose labor makes the NCAA watchable is 0 percent. It was also 0 percent before they cancelled March Madness, but that still sucks, and we should probably talk about it more.

Laine Higgins, The Wall Street Journal 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

I am surprised that there is any distribution.  It's hard to distribute money when there is none coming in.  

I  think your timing of bringing up paying college athletes is way off.

Where do you think and I am talking about in good times, the money is going to come from?  Most athletic departments and probably all G5's lose money.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1