UNT Football 2020 QB Analysis

Harry

#5 Jason Bean – redshirt sophomore – Mansfield, Texas (Lake Ridge HS)
Bean has seen the most action out of the group, appearing in eight games over the past two years, including seven appearances in 2019, where he served as the primary backup quarterback for the majority of the season. Bean completed 22-of-35 passes for 176 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions in his seven appearances last season. Additionally, he also carried 13 times for 80 yards on the ground.

Bean made his North Texas debut in the New Mexico Bowl in 2018 after Fine went down due to injury and then-backup Quinn Shanbour was ineffective. Bean was 0-for-2 with an interception and ran for 14 yards on four carries in that game, which was a big stage for the true freshman.

Bean was a three-star prospect according to 247Sports Composite ranking system and held a handful of FBS offers before choosing North Texas. Bean threw for a combined 4,638 yards and 49 touchdowns, while rushing for 1,224 yards and 10 more scores on the ground over the course of his junior and senior seasons at Lake Ridge High School. Bean was also a high-level sprinter during his high school career, and that speed has certainly been on display when his number has been called.

Bean is 6'3" and 189 pounds and like Aune, offers a great deal of athleticism at the position. Expect Bean to be a strong candidate to fill the role as the starter in Denton in the fall.

"I'm so blessed to have the opportunity that I have. This is something I dreamt of for a long time now. Coach Littrell has been unbelievable – it doesn't feel like he's my coach, but just a friend I can joke around with. He definitely knows his stuff when it comes to football. I like to just sit and listen because you can learn something from him every day. I'm also very excited to work with coach Wallis and for the short time I've been with him, he seems like a guy that's just like coach Littrell in that he just wants to win. That's all I want to do as well, so I'm sure we'll work well together."

• Harry featured this topic

My guess is the Bean starts and the QB run game is actually part of the offense.  We quit running Mason during his Sophomore year.  With the depth we have, losing Bean to an injury isn't as big of a deal as losing Mason would have been.

I look for 3 of them to play early since we don't have Spring ball.

I also look for at least 2 of them to transfer at the end of the season.  Too many are the same age.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I'll tell you what I wouldn't mind seeing.....

Aune and Bean.

I'm not talking about dual QBs, swapping series...I don't like that and it rarely works.

But I wouldn't mine seeing Bean in short yardage situations. We could be tough to get off the field on 3rd and 2...

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Eligibility question:

If your clock starts ticking the day you enroll, and Aune actually enrolled at TCU, how did he not lose any eligibility while playing baseball?

My guess is because he left before classes actually started. It starts when you become a full-time student (12 hours or more), so I think just enrolling doesn’t start the timer but the actual attendance is what makes you a full-time student.

• Upvote 5

59 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

My guess is because he left before classes actually started. It starts when you become a full-time student (12 hours or more), so I think just enrolling doesn’t start the timer but the actual attendance is what makes you a full-time student.

So are you saying Joe Burrow still has eligibility?

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

I'll tell you what I wouldn't mind seeing.....

Aune and Bean.

I'm not talking about dual QBs, swapping series...I don't like that and it rarely works.

But I wouldn't mine seeing Bean in short yardage situations. We could be tough to get off the field on 3rd and 2...

Worked for Oklahoma State a few years ago.

They'd use Mason Rudolph to get them inside the 20, then switch to JW Walsh and run some interesting run/pass options and packages to take advantage of his athleticism

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The NT QB race is wide open.   There are lots of good candidates.  

I believe a lot on here are undervaluing Bean.  He has a very good arm and is not just fast.   His issue has been throwing into coverage.

Being the weights having been updated in over a year, no one knows that doesn't have personal contact; how much anyone has grown.  Bean definitely needs to be at least 10 lbs more than his current listed weight. 

Aune has the most experience, but most have no idea what his abilities are on the football field.

Likewise no one knows much about Martin, other than he is very enthusiasic which is not a bad trait for a QB. 

I think it will come down to those three, and at this point, Aune seems the most likely to start the first game.   

• Upvote 2