Todd Ford named HC at Plano

Marty

4 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Plano ISD has needed an overhaul of their athletic department for a long time.   Changing out the AD was the first step.  Need to look at replacing the coaches at East and West. 

As a West grad, football has always been awful. Not much gonna change that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 3/24/2020 at 10:34 PM, peanuts104 said:

As a West grad, football has always been awful. Not much gonna change that.

When I was there we were decent. Made the playoffs in 05. We're much better at other sports though. 

On 3/24/2020 at 5:42 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

Plano ISD has needed an overhaul of their athletic department for a long time.   Changing out the AD was the first step.  Need to look at replacing the coaches at East and West. 

1986 Plano East grad here.  I miss the days of dominance in Plano ISD football (prior to the birth of Plano West).   Made me recall this playoff game between PESH and John Tyler.   Amazing comeback for not.  An exciting watch for those that haven’t seen it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

1986 Plano East grad here.  I miss the days of dominance in Plano ISD football (prior to the birth of Plano West).   Made me recall this playoff game between PESH and John Tyler.   Amazing comeback for not.  An exciting watch for those that haven’t seen it.

I graduated in 1989 so fall of 1988 was my senior year when we beat Plano 26-0.  I followed Plano football growing up in Plano in the 70's but my blood turned Black and Gold when East opened.  John Clark was a great AD but things started to slip with Kimbrough and spiraled out of control under Brence (Brence was not well liked even when he was HC at Plano).  I'm glad they went outside the district to hire the new AD. 

I was at that East - John Tyler playoff game.  Tyler physically dominated the game and we were really, really, really lucky to get back into it with those onside kicks.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I'm going to be sick. That always sticks out to me when I see the highlights of this game lol.

Wow, I'm old now. It's amazing to hear you youngsters talk about Plano football being bad. Like it's always been that way. Up until 1982, I'm a 1981 graduate at Plano. There was only one high school in Plano. Some of you youngsters I can't believe I'm saying this. Need to go back and Google, or at least look at some old newspapers. Plano has a history of being one of the most unbelievably historic high school teams in the state of Texas.

If you youngsters also do some research you'll realize that many Plano high School football players during those times, were pro bowl players, or better in the NFL.

Plano State high School football has certainly not always been bad. There was a time when Plano was the only School or one of the very few but I believe the only School. In Texas high School history to win, I believe 1A, for the record may have started at 2A, then winning 3A, 4A, and 5A state championships. When all this took place nobody had ever heard of 6A. Friday night lights was patterned or made after Odessa Permian high School football in Texas. During those years Plano high School was on par and always in the same discussion as far as high school powerhouse football programs in the great state of Texas.

God I'm old, I used to live in Plano when 544. If they even call it that anymore. Was a two-lane blacktop with wheat fields on both sides of the road. McKinney was 8 Miles away, me and my friends used to walk the two-lane blacktop surrounded by wheat fields once again to get there. Maybe it was Alenn not McKinney that was 8 Miles away.

Plano high School football, took a historic hit once the new high school which opened in 1982, I believe on the east side of town. I haven't lived in Plano since high school, so if my memory serves that would be PESH.

God, this freaking post or topic like no other has made me realize how truly old I am. Don't get me wrong there are many others that have been around this board for much longer than I have. I salute them all.

FYI...when I was a Jr./Sn. at Plano High School the band director Mr. Fork knew Doc Severinsen personally (Doc's 92 now). For those to young to know Doc Severinsen was a part of Johnny Carson Tonight Show band. In those days 3 networks no cable. Entire county watched the Tonight Show every night. Since Mr. Fork knew Severinsen the PHS band I played in put on a concert in Plano, TX. with Doc Severinsen both yrs. I attended PHS. Wow, Doc Severinsen is like the Tom Brady, Drew Brees of Trumpet players in the World at the time.

The concerts were recorded on Vinyl. I still have the records!! The band knew what an honor this really was. Looking back we really didn't have any idea how amazingly special that time in our lives and concert really was. 

One of my graduating classmates became Playboy's Playmate of the Month, or Year, I believe year. Pretty controversial, or risque for the times. 

Plano was once feature on cover of Time Magazine as "Suicide Capital of the US".

This topic has revived lot's of memories!!! Wow. That seldom happens for me when I reading the board!!!

Edited by UNTMike81
Add additional comment(s)
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2