Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
BillySee58

Basketball Transfer Portal

Recommended Posts

While recruiting is on a halt right now, the transfer market is heating up. No one has announced intentions to transfer from UNT, but many players have elsewhere.

Here are a couple lists:

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

http://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020

We only have two spots remaining at the moment but I think it’s very likely that we would find room if the right guys came available. Here are some guys who I particularly like:

• Hayden Koval, JR C Central Arkansas. 7 footer originally from Prosper. I think he’d be a great fit with very good shot blocking and solid 3-point shooting ability. Not sure if he’d be eligible immediately as a grad transfer or if he’d have to sit a year. Not super confident he could fit next to Simmons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/hayden-koval-1.html

• Morris Udeze, SO F Wichita State

From Houston. Think he’d have to sit a year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/morris-udeze-1.html

• Cory Hightower, SO F Presbyterian

Think he’d have to sit a year. Likelihood seems low but I think he’d be a good fit. Leading scorer and rebounder from Presbyterian.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/cory-hightower-1.html

• EJ Anosike, GRAD F Sacred Heart

Another low likelihood here, but he’d be the best rebounder we’ve had under Mccasland. Not sure he’s enough of a shooter to be a perfect fit at the 4 for Mccasland, but he was a very productive player in the NEC. 15.7 points/11.6 rebounds a game last year. Also a consistently good free throw shooter for his career. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ej-anosike-1.html

• Gerrale Gates, SO F New Orleans

6’6” 250 post who was Southland Freshman of the Year in 18-19. Seems kind of like the player we wanted Jahmiah Simmons to be. Also not much a three-point shooter so maybe not a good fit at the 4 here, but he is also a good free-throw shooter.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/gerrale-gates-1.html

• Ben Pyle, SO F Western Illinois

A little light at 6’7” 185 lbs but he would come in and be likely the best shooter on our roster, and he’s a decent rebounder as well. 12.3 points/5.3 rebounds a game last year and shot 43% from three on a whopping 5.7 attempts per game. Also just shy of 90% from the free-throw line. Again, another long shot but good fit.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ben-pyle-1.html

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

While recruiting is on a halt right now, the transfer market is heating up. No one has announced intentions to transfer from UNT, but many players have elsewhere.

Here are a couple lists:

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

http://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020

We only have two spots remaining at the moment but I think it’s very likely that we would find room if the right guys came available. Here are some guys who I particularly like:

• Hayden Koval, JR C Central Arkansas. 7 footer originally from Prosper. I think he’d be a great fit with very good shot blocking and solid 3-point shooting ability. Not sure if he’d be eligible immediately as a grad transfer or if he’d have to sit a year. Not super confident he could fit next to Simmons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/hayden-koval-1.html

• Morris Udeze, SO F Wichita State

From Houston. Think he’d have to sit a year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/morris-udeze-1.html

• Cory Hightower, SO F Presbyterian

Think he’d have to sit a year. Likelihood seems low but I think he’d be a good fit. Leading scorer and rebounder from Presbyterian.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/cory-hightower-1.html

• EJ Anosike, GRAD F Sacred Heart

Another low likelihood here, but he’d be the best rebounder we’ve had under Mccasland. Not sure he’s enough of a shooter to be a perfect fit at the 4 for Mccasland, but he was a very productive player in the NEC. 15.7 points/11.6 rebounds a game last year. Also a consistently good free throw shooter for his career. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ej-anosike-1.html

• Gerrale Gates, SO F New Orleans

6’6” 250 post who was Southland Freshman of the Year in 18-19. Seems kind of like the player we wanted Jahmiah Simmons to be. Also not much a three-point shooter so maybe not a good fit at the 4 here, but he is also a good free-throw shooter.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/gerrale-gates-1.html

• Ben Pyle, SO F Western Illinois

A little light at 6’7” 185 lbs but he would come in and be likely the best shooter on our roster, and he’s a decent rebounder as well. 12.3 points/5.3 rebounds a game last year and shot 43% from three on a whopping 5.7 attempts per game. Also just shy of 90% from the free-throw line. Again, another long shot but good fit.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ben-pyle-1.html

You think we could land anyone of these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

You think we could land anyone of these?

Definitely. A lot of these transfers are guys who played for bad mid major teams and they want a taste of competitive basketball and a chance at the NCAA tournament. We are right in the sweet spot for these type of transfers because these players typically still want to start, so going to traditional major-conference at-large teams is a little riskier, and we still offer the chance to play in the NCAA tournament.

Whether or not we go after them is another question. But this season was huge for recruiting. Obviously could have been even more but the fact is we won CUSA and the chance to play for that caliber of team for guys who were playing in worse conference for bad teams in those conferences, there is a lot of appeal here.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Definitely. A lot of these transfers are guys who played for bad mid major teams and they want a taste of competitive basketball and a chance at the NCAA tournament. We are right in the sweet spot for these type of transfers because these players typically still want to start, so going to traditional major-conference at-large teams is a little riskier, and we still offer the chance to play in the NCAA tournament.

Whether or not we go after them is another question. But this season was huge for recruiting. Obviously could have been even more but the fact is we won CUSA and the chance to play for that caliber of team for guys who were playing in worse conference for bad teams in those conferences, there is a lot of appeal here.

Who do you want here? I've looked over many of them, and I want to know your opinion. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Who do you want here? I've looked over many of them, and I want to know your opinion. 

Truthfully, I’d want most of them. But with only two spots currently left and a lot of guys on our bench who have not been proven rotation players, I’m not sure we can afford a guy sitting out a season. If we move on from guys like J Simmons, Mohamed, Alcindor, and maybe Wise (still has promise), then we could start talking about getting a guy or two who has to sit next season.

I really like Anosike, Koval, and Pyle. They all would give us something we haven’t really had under Mccasland. Anosike would be the best rebounder we’ve had under Mccasland and that was a weak point at times last year. Plus he’s just a very good overall player. Koval would give us a legit shot blocker and rim protector, which we also haven’t had under Mccasland. And he can shoot 3s as a 7 footer so he could help with spacing. And Pyle would give us a legit sharp shooting forward, which we also have been lacking under Mccasland. 43% on 5.7 attempts per game is elite.

Those three could also easily go to power conference schools, but I’d take any of them. So much of what happens this offseason hinges on guys like J Simmons, Mohamed, and Alcindor. Unless one of them takes a huge step forward, truthfully that’s 3 non-rotational caliber players at the CUSA level on the bench. But finding good transfer situations for them could really open things up for improving the roster, with the on-court momentum we built up.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Truthfully, I’d want most of them. But with only two spots currently left and a lot of guys on our bench who have not been proven rotation players, I’m not sure we can afford a guy sitting out a season. If we move on from guys like J Simmons, Mohamed, Alcindor, and maybe Wise (still has promise), then we could start talking about getting a guy or two who has to sit next season.

I really like Anosike, Koval, and Pyle. They all would give us something we haven’t really had under Mccasland. Anosike would be the best rebounder we’ve had under Mccasland and that was a weak point at times last year. Plus he’s just a very good overall player. Koval would give us a legit shot blocker and rim protector, which we also haven’t had under Mccasland. And he can shoot 3s as a 7 footer so he could help with spacing. And Pyle would give us a legit sharp shooting forward, which we also have been lacking under Mccasland. 43% on 5.7 attempts per game is elite.

Those three could also easily go to power conference schools, but I’d take any of them. So much of what happens this offseason hinges on guys like J Simmons, Mohamed, and Alcindor. Unless one of them takes a huge step forward, truthfully that’s 3 non-rotational caliber players at the CUSA level on the bench. But finding good transfer situations for them could really open things up for improving the roster, with the on-court momentum we built up.

It would be very disappointing to go into the season with only S,M,A as options. Big man would be awesome and if not another Deng! I think Bell will light it up with playing the right position. The quickness of Bell I could see us maybe running the floor a little more.(maybe) GMG

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.