McCasland 2020 Bonus Breakdown $$$

On 3/24/2020 at 12:05 AM, UNTMike81 said:

Wow...I can't believe folks on this board are really saying don't pay our coach a bonus for what might have been reasonable possible if C-USA and NCAA tournaments hadn't been cancelled. Like it or not UNT should have been considered and was considered the favorite to win conference tournament and receive NCAA auto bid!!!

If UNT doesn't pay the bonus or some equivalent in a renegotiated contract. Which I'm sure is is in the works. I've just been away from the board dealing with more important issue affecting my family due to Covid-19. Many, maybe not all who are saying don't pay bonus would be critical of our AD if coach McCasland left UNT for a more high profile coaching position. Insert school name here:_______.

It's going to be hard enough to keep coach McCasland at UNT maybe now or in the very near future. Let's be realistic if you're coach McCasland and I'm at a school in a single bid league like C-USA, that's reason enough to move on.

If my college AD and UNT president, or BOD's don't pay me the paltry amount of $25,000.00 after I've resurrected there team from the dead, and I mean DEAD!!! UNT's basketball program after 3yrs., then I'm out!!! That would be like a poke in the eye with the sharpest knife made by man kind. I wonder if the poster(s) advocating not paying NCAA contractual bonus are secretly fans of another University trolling this board hoping there university can poach a great coach away from UNT.  

Let the Mean Green Nation be the Judge. Seems like a "no Brainer". Much more logical conclusion and if that's not the case, more realistic from a business view point. Oh, I forgot those advocating the non payment of bonus could be from academia, then there position might make since, NOT!!!

Yes, I'm being very critical of those taking the position of denying coach McCasland UNT's contraction obligation to pay a $25,000.00 NCAA bid bonus.

I full well expect to be criticized for my opinion also. But, I'm a big boy, and I'm older than I used to be and much wiser, so I can take the criticism.

Do not read if you are looking for light sports' fare. 

NT depends on student fees for almost all of its revenue.  No school, no students, no teams.   

This current catastrophe will have far reaching consequences.   It certainly has the potential to end collegian sports as we have known them.   

If this coronavirus continues, I would think that a lot of AD department personnel  including coaches are going to be very quickly unemployed,   

I don't think it is a question of do you want to keep coaches and staff as much as can you even pay their salaries and benefits. 

When it comes to funding medical expenses, and keeping the economy going: is paying coaches even a blip on the radar.    I love NT sports, but paying coaches; millions of dollars does not make sense in the current environment.

Hopefully, this disaster abates soon and both football and basketball will be played.  I don't like the odds, but there is still hope. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Grad Green...UNT won't be de-funded. Covid-19 will pass. If UNT were private small college, not the 3th or 4th largest university in TX then your above point would be very valid!!! However, UNT had huge accounting scandal several yrs. ago. It's like state legislator didn't even skipped a beat. No employment or students affected to my knowledge. Further, UNT stayed in the "Arms Race" to become a tier 1 University for endowment and Fed., and State Grant purposes to fund UNT system.

I don't see the State of TX or the Fed's for that matter pulling any funding away from school like UNT. Especially since the Fed's just pumped 2.2 Trillion dollars in national relief to everyone. At least hopefully a lot of the 2.2 Trillion Dollars will go directly to all the "squirrel's looking for a nut" (me and my family) instead of government bureaucracies.  Don't get me wrong out of the 2.2T the bureaucracies will get plenty of money too. 

The US national debt over all this and the long term affect to US economy and our children, and grand children is a completely different conversation. I can't have that discussion here because Harry or someone else would delete my post.   

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, UNTMike81 said:

Grad Green...UNT won't be de-funded. Covid-19 will pass. If UNT were private small college, not the 3th or 4th largest university in TX then your above point would be very valid!!! However, UNT had huge accounting scandal several yrs. ago. It's like state legislator didn't even skipped a beat. No employment or students affected to my knowledge. Further, UNT stayed in the "Arms Race" to become a tier 1 University for endowment and Fed., and State Grant purposes to fund UNT system.

I don't see the State of TX or the Fed's for that matter pulling any funding away from school like UNT. Especially since the Fed's just pumped 2.2 Trillion dollars in national relief to everyone. At least hopefully a lot of the 2.2 Trillion Dollars will go directly to all the "squirrel's looking for a nut" (me and my family) instead of government bureaucracies.  Don't get me wrong out of the 2.2T the bureaucracies will get plenty of money too. 

The US national debt over all this and the long term affect to US economy and our children, and grand children is a completely different conversation. I can't have that discussion here because Harry or someone else would delete my post.   

Nether the Nation or the state fund Texas college athletes.   

NT athletics is primarily funded by the students.   The fewer students the less money.  I don't know if online students pay athletic fees. 

Anything that lowers the number of NT students is going to have a very negative effect on athletics. 

This virus certainly will negatively impact NT sports, the question is how much and how long. 

Point taken, you and I are going to be negatively affected or unless were independently wealthy. And then he even then to a certain extent. this shouldn't going to last long enough to affect student attendance. IE student fees or anything else like that. Based on the heat in Texas the virus cannot survive here to any great extent. Very long, I can't believe I'm praying for heat to the extent that I am now based on summer weather. No matter what the press tells you.

• Confused 1

Pay the bonus.

March Madness is insured.  The teams won't get as much as they might have earned had the tournament been held but certainly more than enough to cover his bonus.

He did everything required of him and through no fault of his own was unable to play in either tournament.  He had already qualified for the NIT and I believe that we would've been the CUSA tournament champion as well. 

I couldn't be much happier with McCasland's results.  He took a sub-.500 Benford team; lost the best player (who still had eligibility) and has won a CBI tournament and a CUSA title.  Who would've believed that three years ago?

Don't lose this coach over a piddling bonus.  He's definitely a keeper.

• Upvote 4