McCasland 2020 Bonus Breakdown $$$

18 hours ago, UNT86 said:

He should get the NCAA bonus of $25,000.

The CUSA tournament was cancelled granting us the automatic bid.

Put up the banner and pay the man.

Why. There was no tournament to grant Grant... Why pay a 'getting us to the NCAA tournament' bonus when he didn't get us into the NCAA tournament. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

No. It isn't. Why should this be on UNT to pay an NCAA tournament bonus when there was no tournament?

Because he basically did make it with an auto bid. I was confident that we would’ve won the whole tournament 

Also why not! It’s not gonna kill anyone, and it really can help recruiting with a banner 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Because he basically did make it with an auto bid. I was confident that we would’ve won the whole tournament 

Also why not! It’s not gonna kill anyone, and it really can help recruiting with a banner 

Yeah you are right... he doesn't make enough and we should just give him a bonus to a thing we didn't participate in even though that was a stipulation for the very bonus we are discussing. 

I love the dude.. but he is about to get a much bigger payout than giving him an undeserved bonus because he is about to get a raise and an extension. He will be more than fine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

If you were the boss, and you set a sales goal for your sales force, and they goal was unattainable because of something out of everyone's control, like the Corona virus, would you award your sales staff a bonus ? 

Many people are unable to work their full jobs right now (airlines, hotels, restaurants. etc).  I can't imagine everyone gets paid based on what "probably" happens, or "I'm sure they're going to win" assumptions.  A base salary of nearly $700,000. is not the end of the world. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm sure Wren Baker is looking forward to your $25k check to cover that bonus!

On behalf of all Mean Green fans everywhere, thanks for stepping up Deep!

Mac did everything he was supposed to do that was within his control.  I'm sure we have some deep pockets somewhere that would feel the same way.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

If you were the boss, and you set a sales goal for your sales force, and they goal was unattainable because of something out of everyone's control, like the Corona virus, would you award your sales staff a bonus ? 

Many people are unable to work their full jobs right now (airlines, hotels, restaurants. etc).  I can't imagine everyone gets paid based on what "probably" happens, or "I'm sure they're going to win" assumptions.  A base salary of nearly $700,000. is not the end of the world. 

No. I would restructure the contract, give them an extension, and increase their price to keep them.  

UNT and Grant lose with us both not going to the dance. There is no reason that we force the athletic department to lose more just because it didn't work out for either.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Travis said:

No. I would restructure the contract, give them an extension, and increase their price to keep them.  

UNT and Grant lose with us both not going to the dance. There is no reason that we force the athletic department to lose more just because it didn't work out for either.  

This is smart and reasonable. He is making a lot of money. If they had won the tournament and then the NCAAs were cancelled I would agree but in this case the auto bid was by default. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Travis said:

Why. There was no tournament to grant Grant... Why pay a 'getting us to the NCAA tournament' bonus when he didn't get us into the NCAA tournament. 

True or False: Every conference has to have a mechanism to award the automatic bid in case the conference tournament cannot be played.

True or False: Conference USA awards the automatic bid to the regular season champion in case the conference tournament cannot be played.

True of False: Conference USA cancelled the tournament and according to conference and NCAA rules, North Texas is awarded the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

True or False: The Conference USA tournament was cancelled and the bid awarded prior to the NCAA cancelling their tournament.

Hint: all the answers are true.

North Texas was awarded the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Pay the man the $25000 and put up two banners.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

True or False: Every conference has to have a mechanism to award the automatic bid in case the conference tournament cannot be played.

True or False: Conference USA awards the automatic bid to the regular season champion in case the conference tournament cannot be played.

True of False: Conference USA cancelled the tournament and according to conference and NCAA rules, North Texas is awarded the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

True or False: The Conference USA tournament was cancelled and the bid awarded prior to the NCAA cancelling their tournament.

OK, pay the $25K and make him buy the 2nd banner!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, UNT86 said:

I believe the actual language in his contract is to ‘participate in the NCAA tournament’. That we didn’t do. 

• Upvote 2

McCasland’s contract also calls for a $10,000 bonus for earning a bid to the NIT. UNT earned a berth to the NIT by winning the C-USA regular season title. 

We should play this NIT bonus.

McCasland would have added to his bonus earnings had the Mean Green enjoyed success in the postseason. His contract contains a $25,000 bonus for winning the conference tournament and earning an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

We should not play this NCAA bonus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 3/20/2020 at 11:31 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm sure Wren Baker is looking forward to your $25k check to cover that bonus!

On behalf of all Mean Green fans everywhere, thanks for stepping up Deep!

I don’t have an opinion one way or the other regarding if he gets paid or not, but this amount should have already budgeted for and marked as a savings if not reached. 

• Upvote 1

the guy. should get the bonus for just pulling us out of the Bedford years,  that alone with worth 25K.   The guy rebuilt this team and has done a great job.   With we had an average season I would say don't give it to him but he exceeded our expectations.   Attendance has improved and he coach who can win without cheating.  

• Upvote 1

Wow...I can't believe folks on this board are really saying don't pay our coach a bonus for what might have been reasonable possible if C-USA and NCAA tournaments hadn't been cancelled. Like it or not UNT should have been considered and was considered the favorite to win conference tournament and receive NCAA auto bid!!!

If UNT doesn't pay the bonus or some equivalent in a renegotiated contract. Which I'm sure is is in the works. I've just been away from the board dealing with more important issue affecting my family due to Covid-19. Many, maybe not all who are saying don't pay bonus would be critical of our AD if coach McCasland left UNT for a more high profile coaching position. Insert school name here:_______.

It's going to be hard enough to keep coach McCasland at UNT maybe now or in the very near future. Let's be realistic if you're coach McCasland and I'm at a school in a single bid league like C-USA, that's reason enough to move on.

If my college AD and UNT president, or BOD's don't pay me the paltry amount of $25,000.00 after I've resurrected there team from the dead, and I mean DEAD!!! UNT's basketball program after 3yrs., then I'm out!!! That would be like a poke in the eye with the sharpest knife made by man kind. I wonder if the poster(s) advocating not paying NCAA contractual bonus are secretly fans of another University trolling this board hoping there university can poach a great coach away from UNT.  

Let the Mean Green Nation be the Judge. Seems like a "no Brainer". Much more logical conclusion and if that's not the case, more realistic from a business view point. Oh, I forgot those advocating the non payment of bonus could be from academia, then there position might make since, NOT!!!

Yes, I'm being very critical of those taking the position of denying coach McCasland UNT's contraction obligation to pay a $25,000.00 NCAA bid bonus.

I full well expect to be criticized for my opinion also. But, I'm a big boy, and I'm older than I used to be and much wiser, so I can take the criticism.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1