DO SPORTS/EVENTS AS WE KNOW THEM CHANGE FOR GOOD?

As we have more and more access information it seems that people will react in a never before seen way to potential illnesses. Not wanting to get in to the over/under/just-right reactions, but if you look back 10 years ago, close to 60 million Americans reportedly contracted H1N1. There were never any recommendations as far as I recall to shut down everything.

After this passes - will we change the way we view, or attend large events? If someone show up at an event that seems ill, will they be asked to leave? In the past we gave high praises were given to athletes who played through a case of the flu (MJ); does this change and they are asked to stay off the court/fields?

Just wondering how other think this will change us going forward?

• Upvote 1

It might change education as we know it—it might be more cost friendly, lawsuit preventive, and just flat out easier to see schools providing online content for more of the educating than in class. If you are UNT, why take the risk of having a kid infect a huge class of Freshman English when you can have it all online. As class sizes get smaller as you proceed in your degree, maybe the in person class becomes more necessary, but I feel like this is all going to change the way companies look at facilities and offices and schools look at classes.

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

It might change education as we know it—it might be more cost friendly, lawsuit preventive, and just flat out easier to see schools providing online content for more of the educating than in class. If you are UNT, why take the risk of having a kid infect a huge class of Freshman English when you can have it all online. As class sizes get smaller as you proceed in your degree, maybe the in person class becomes more necessary, but I feel like this is all going to change the way companies look at facilities and offices and schools look at classes.

All of what you say is correct. And yet it makes me so sad for all those who will never properly get to experience the real social part of college.

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, greenminer said:

I think the eSports world has just gotten a huge boost.

Yes,  it will.  There was an article in today's DMN about over 20 NASCAR drivers participating in an eNASCAR event this weekend.  It's getting network coverage.  I'm on my phone so I can't link the article.