GMG all decade basketball team

Marty

Had do a little research , actually Josh White, Tristan Thompson and Tramiel all last played in 2010 ,making them barely eligible  for the all decade team. 

Start off with the easy picks

Tony Mitchell, Probably the greatest athlete to ever play basketball at NT, and Jordan Williams who averaged double figures for 4 years. 

Combs who had double figure scoring for the three years he was here. 

Add Wooledge despite his departure.

My last pick is George Odufawa, a standout rebound man and adequate scorer for the first two years of the decade. 

Add Gibson as a sixth man

Hamlet although only playing one year is the second best player among the named players, but I restricted my picks to those who had played at least two years in the decade. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Hamlet played a handful of games in the decade... no way he can even be considered. 

Odufuwa, white, thompson, mitchell, williams.

I'd have considered voting for chris jones and jeremy combs if they didnt leave early. 

I think Hamlet played the same number of seasons in the decade as did Thompson and White. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I think Hamlet played the same number of seasons in the decade as did Thompson and White. 

White and Thompson played the 09-10 season and the 10-11 season. So, unlike Hamlet, they played a full season in the decade. And 2 conference seasons/conference tournaments.

• Upvote 1

Give me:
Ryan Woolridge at the point.  I want the ball in his hands.
Tony Mitchell in the middle... and feed him, A LOT  (man, could you imagine a screen/roll game with Woolridge & Mitchell?)
Jordan Williams on one wing
Jeremy Combs on the other
Tristan Thompson off the ball creating his own scoring chances.

That is a deadly starting 5 folks.

On the bench I can be picky with who I want and why:
PG Josh White - ball handler, leader, heart
G - Alzee Williams - DEFENSE, capable scorer, can run point in a pinch.
G - Chris Jones - good combo guy
Wing - Rose Smart - despite his last two seasons... that '17-'18 season was special.  He could shoot it from anywhere.  ***If guaranteed "Sophomore Smart" production, I'd likely swap out Combs for him in the starting lineup.***
F - Roger Franklin - versatility.  Great rebounder.
F - George Odufawa - banger. tough guard on the post.
3&D - Brandon Walton - crazy range.
3&D - DJ Draper - How do you not love the walk-on story?
Glue guy - Jacob Holmen - long body, can shoot or put it on the floor.   Great team player.
Last guy - Javion Hamlet - Thought about J'Mychal Reese here because he was so talented, but I can't NOT include Javion.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

White and Thompson played the 09-10 season and the 10-11 season. So, unlike Hamlet, they played a full season in the decade. And 2 conference seasons/conference tournaments.

9-10 season would be outside this decade unless you have 11 years in a decade

Hamlet played a full season.  Thompson and White had careers at NT and played the first season of the current decade. That team they were on was the only team that could challenge last year's in success. 

Not sure what your point is, Thompson and White played this decade and certainly could be included in an all decade team.  I just chose not to include them.  If included I would put both White and Thompson in the all decade team making my team: White, Thompson, Mitchell, Williams and Hamlet.   Again, Hamlet would become eligible if based on only one year played in the decade. 

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Give me:
Ryan Woolridge at the point.  I want the ball in his hands.
Tony Mitchell in the middle... and feed him, A LOT  (man, could you imagine a screen/roll game with Woolridge & Mitchell?)
Jordan Williams on one wing
Jeremy Combs on the other
Tristan Thompson off the ball creating his own scoring chances.

That is a deadly starting 5 folks.

On the bench I can be picky with who I want and why:
PG Josh White - ball handler, leader, heart
G - Alzee Williams - DEFENSE, capable scorer, can run point in a pinch.
G - Chris Jones - good combo guy
Wing - Rose Smart - despite his last two seasons... that '17-'18 season was special.  He could shoot it from anywhere.  ***If guaranteed "Sophomore Smart" production, I'd likely swap out Combs for him in the starting lineup.***
F - Roger Franklin - versatility.  Great rebounder.
F - George Odufawa - banger. tough guard on the post.
3&D - Brandon Walton - crazy range.
3&D - DJ Draper - How do you not love the walk-on story?
Glue guy - Jacob Holmen - long body, can shoot or put it on the floor.   Great team player.
Last guy - Javion Hamlet - Thought about J'Mychal Reese here because he was so talented, but I can't NOT include Javion.

This was like basically my team except I would have 17-18 Rose instead of Combs. Combs was great, but Smart I think is more lethal

Also give me Gonzaga Ryan because of the shooting

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

This was like basically my team except I would have 17-18 Rose instead of Combs. Combs was great, but Smart I think is more lethal

Also give me Gonzaga Ryan because of the shooting

Hot Sports Opinion: Gonzaga Ryan did not play at UNT and is not eligible for consideration.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

9-10 season would be outside this decade unless you have 11 years in a decade

How would the 09-10 season be outside the decade but the 19-20 season is in the decade?

And how did I know you would come up with some weird way to spin things before admitting you had it wrong when you said White and Thompson last played in 2010?

Do we agree the decade was 2010-2019? For basketball, because each season takes place across two separate calendar years, we have to make a decision on what 10 seasons made up the decade. There are three ways we can choose for parameters on the decade.

1. Strictly games that took place in years ending in 10-19. Which would include the second half of the 2009-2010 season, all nine seasons from 2010-2011 to 2018-2019, and the first part of the 2019-2020 season. 

2. Only include seasons in which the spring portion of the schedule took place in years ending in 10-19. This would be the entire 2009-2010 season, including the part of the season that occurred technically in the 2000s decade, all the way through the 2018-2019 season. This would consider the 2019-2020 season all as part of the 2020 decade, including the games that season which place in 2020.

3. Only include seasons in which the fall portion of the schedule took place in years ending in 10-19. This would start at the 2010-2011 season and go all the way through the entire 2019-2020 season, including the part of the season that occurred in the 2020s decade. This would consider the 2009-2010 season all as part of the 2000 decade, including the games that season which took place in 2010.

So which one we pick determines what we consider this decade. Imo it should either be 1 or 2. I don’t get how you can consider what occurred in spring of 2010 to be a part of the 2000-2009 decade. Especially because the spring is when the actual conference games, conference tournament, and NCAA tournament take place.

Hamlet played a full season.  Thompson and White had careers at NT and played the first season of the current decade. That team they were on was the only team that could challenge last year's in success. 

Are you referring to the 2009-2010 team when you say that was the only team that could challenge last year’s in success? If so are you considering that team as part of the decade or not? Because if you are, then White and Thompson were on 2 teams this decade by this logic. That very good 2009-2010 team you’re referring to and the 2010-2011 team. And if that’s the case then counting Hamlet’s season as part of the decade would be counting 11 teams as part of the decade as well. 

Also, just to be clear, Hamlet only played 13 games between 1/1/2010 and 12/31/2019. He averaged 10 points and 4 assists in those 13 games. White and Thompson played 51 games during that same time frame.

Not sure what your point is, Thompson and White played this decade and certainly could be included in an all decade team.  I just chose not to include them.  If included I would put both White and Thompson in the all decade team making my team: White, Thompson, Mitchell, Williams and Hamlet.   Again, Hamlet would become eligible if based on only one year played in the decade. 

My original point was simply that White and Thompson did not play the same amount of time this decade that Hamlet did. It was not one season each for all three of them. Again, 51 games in the decade for the two of them against just 13 for Hamlet. And White and Thompson didn’t last play in 2010 like you had said in a previous post.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

How would the 09-10 season be outside the decade but the 19-20 season is in the decade? 

I assumed you were talking about the last decade, which be the last ten seasons.   If not, than the last season should not even be discussed. 

And how did I know you would come up with some weird way to spin things before admitting you had it wrong when you said White and Thompson last played in 2010?

See answer one, I guess I am weird in your view which is truly heartbreaking. 

Do we agree the decade was 2010-2019? For basketball, because each season takes place across two separate calendar years, we have to make a decision on what 10 seasons made up the decade. There are three ways we can choose for parameters on the decade.

1. Strictly games that took place in years ending in 10-19. Which would include the second half of the 2009-2010 season, all nine seasons from 2010-2011 to 2018-2019, and the first part of the 2019-2020 season. 

2. Only include seasons in which the spring portion of the schedule took place in years ending in 10-19. This would be the entire 2009-2010 season, including the part of the season that occurred technically in the 2000s decade, all the way through the 2018-2019 season. This would consider the 2019-2020 season all as part of the 2020 decade, including the games that season which place in 2020.

3. Only include seasons in which the fall portion of the schedule took place in years ending in 10-19. This would start at the 2010-2011 season and go all the way through the entire 2019-2020 season, including the part of the season that occurred in the 2020s decade. This would consider the 2009-2010 season all as part of the 2000 decade, including the games that season which took place in 2010.

Refer to first response. 

So which one we pick determines what we consider this decade. Imo it should either be 1 or 2. I don’t get how you can consider what occurred in spring of 2010 to be a part of the 2000-2009 decade. Especially because the spring is when the actual conference games, conference tournament, and NCAA tournament take place.

Are you referring to the 2009-2010 team when you say that was the only team that could challenge last year’s in success? If so are you considering that team as part of the decade or not? Because if you are, then White and Thompson were on 2 teams this decade by this logic. That very good 2009-2010 team you’re referring to and the 2010-2011 team. And if that’s the case then counting Hamlet’s season as part of the decade would be counting 11 teams as part of the decade as well. 

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Also, just to be clear, Hamlet only played 13 games between 1/1/2010 and 12/31/2019. He averaged 10 points and 4 assists in those 13 games. White and Thompson played 51 games during that same time frame.

My original point was simply that White and Thompson did not play the same amount of time this decade that Hamlet did. It was not one season each for all three of them. Again, 51 games in the decade for the two of them against just 13 for Hamlet. And White and Thompson didn’t last play in 2010 like you had said in a previous post.

You seem very concerned over something very minor.

The last decade:

2019-20

2018-19

2017-18

2016-17

2015-16

2014-15

2013-14

2012-13

2011-12

2010-11

I believe that is 10 years 

I guess your assumption was that the thread was started to discuss 10 years prior to the last year which doesn't make sense to me, but could be true. 

Your quote from above:  "White and Thompson played the 09-10 season and the 10-11 season. So, unlike Hamlet, they played a full season in the decade. And 2 conference seasons/conference tournaments."  So it appears that at one time at least you were defining the decade the same as above. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1