Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

8 minutes ago, keith said:

Here's my take on this FWIW.

At the beginning and for quite a while as this thing was developing everyone, and let's be honest everyone, referred to it as the Wuhan virus, the China virus, the Chinese virus, the Wu flu, the Chinese flu, etc., etc., etc.  No one thought this was racist.  Then at some point someone somewhere decided that it was and if you used any of these terms from that point forward, you were, by definition a racist and inciting violence against anyone that looked Chinese.  On one side, you go from being just like everyone else one minute to being a racist the next.  If you are not a racist, being labeled one tends to piss you off.  On the other side, words, phrases and descriptive names matter greatly and it is unconscionable for these to be used if they might be perceived as hurtful or could potentially lead to harassment of any individual or group.  One side sees it as an unnecessary vilification of an entire race or an effort to place blame and the other side sees it as a factual description of where the pandemic originated.  In the end it just becomes a pointless pissing contest and a massive distraction.

I don't think anyone here would condone harassment of anyone or any group over this disease and would more likely be the ones to step in and stop it if they witnessed it happening.  Oh, and wash your hands. 

Didn't know I, and millions of other people, are not a part of the "everyone" demographic.    

From the very beginning of when I started hearing about it, it was always referred to as "Coronavirus", later the disease it causes, "Covid-19", was designated to specify which one we're talking about since there are tons of different Coronaviruses.  The only time I've ever heard it called "Wuhan Virus" and the like is by folks trying to gaslight others into distrusting China.  It is definitely racism for some.  For most, it's political, since China is considered an economic rival.  So anything we can do to make China look bad, is good for the U.S., right?

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Didn't know I, and millions of other people, are not a part of the "everyone" demographic.    

From the very beginning of when I started hearing about it, it was always referred to as "Coronavirus", later the disease it causes, "Covid-19", was designated to specify which one we're talking about since there are tons of different Coronaviruses.  The only time I've ever heard it called "Wuhan Virus" and the like is by folks trying to gaslight others into distrusting China.  It is definitely racism for some.  For most, it's political, since China is considered an economic rival.  So anything we can do to make China look bad, is good for the U.S., right?

My apologies...I should have been more specific.  Yes, those that were paying attention and tuned in leaned about a new novel coronavirus taking hold in Wuhan, China.  My "everyone" was meant to refer to widespread use in the popular media (print, TV, social, etc.), not every individual.  There are many examples and for many these were the first descriptions they heard.  Consciously or unconsciously that's how they began referring to it.

1957607105_ScreenShot2020-03-30at3_05_32PM.png.e108aebb03dbb86cdf6b0702e7ebe5bf.png

410963323_ScreenShot2020-03-30at2_43_19PM.png.6ebfa2cc93d23ebe9391fce45de4183c.png

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Wuhan Virus is more accurate than Chinese Flu.. But less accurate, since you know, there are a ton of viruses floating around Wuhan.

COVID-19 is the best and most accurate. Which is why that's what is used mainly. Just like talking about H1N1 .. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I guess maybe I'm not understanding your argument.

sure, obviously the biggest concern is getting every asshole out there to take proper precautions for themselves and everyone around them. I'm not saying be "PC" while sneezing on strangers. the issue we're discussing are those who are taking COVID-19 seriously but for what ever reason have changed language ostensibly to place/shift blame. 

Let's use Rick as an example (obviously)...he is someone who cares about the pandemic and it's health affects, yet he has chosen to change his own language to perpetuate language that can lead to unwarranted harassment. I don't get the point. What good comes out of it...for him, for anyone? Gettin' the libtards riled up?

if that's it, I guess I'll as ask him what the acceptable balance is...5 angry libs for every one chinaman spit on? 2 libs for every yellow slant-eye yelled at? what is it? 

Nope, I’ve not changed my language.  This strain of the flu like others will be known and referred by several names. I doubt very few will care down the road which name someone uses as long as it’s defeated.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

10 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Nope, I’ve not changed my language.  This strain of the flu like others will be known and referred by several names. I doubt very few will care down the road which name someone uses as long as it’s defeated.

Rick

You are dense. This is not a flu. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

21 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I said this over a week ago and today the White House said they hoped they could keep it that low.

As they said... With full mitigation they hope to keep it below 140k. 

But let's focus on a product placement on some masks that aren't really needed. Dust masks? FFS.. make n95 or better. 

It isn't about some jackass saying stuff about God or the Bible. It's about tactless product placement for stuff that is too little too late.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

14 hours ago, CMJ said:

I said this over a week ago and today the White House said they hoped they could keep it that low.

Its gonna have to hurry to get anywhere near that while at the same time we’re coming into the warm/hot season.  Plus today is the start of the nation wide trial with Hydroxychloroquin,  Hopefully we see numbers start to drop all over.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

As they said... With full mitigation they hope to keep it below 140k. 

But let's focus on a product placement on some masks that aren't really needed. Dust masks? FFS.. make n95 or better. 

It isn't about some jackass saying stuff about God or the Bible. It's about tactless product placement for stuff that is too little too late.

This seems to be a common phrase these days, but to what end?  Are you suggesting we just give up?  Are you suggesting we don't manufacture masks unless they are  N95?  We obviously need those but other companies are better equipped to manufacture them.  It seems that "everyday" masks can help too.  This is what you commonly see being worn in Asian countries.  If you recall, early on the message was masks were only helpful in stemming the spread of the virus if you cough or sneeze and can act as a reminder to not touch your face so it seems like every little bit will help.  I've also heard politicians say "too little too late it was already here" with respect to travel restrictions, but I don't hear any of them suggesting that we open international travel back up. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Right,...For me I’m just going by the CDC’s track of it the previous 36 years here in the U.S.

Rick

the first acquired case of COVID-19 in the Philippines was on March 5. They're total cases is now over 2300 with nearing 100 deaths. 

today's high temperature in Manilla: 94 degrees. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

It’s just a data tracker list, not someone at CDC reporting it.  

It may be wrong but it gives us something to hope for..  

Maybe for the first time in 36 years in the U.S. a month between April and September becomes the peak month for flu viral cases in the U.S.?

But the fact is flu hates the heat and UV light.  I’m hoping history holds.  It gives me something to hope for.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

the first acquired case of COVID-19 in the Philippines was on March 5. They're total cases is now over 2300 with nearing 100 deaths. 

today's high temperature in Manilla: 94 degrees. 

It's like there's other parts of the world that experience weather opposite our own.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

It’s just a data tracker list, not someone at CDC reporting it.  

It may be wrong but it gives us something to hope for..  

Maybe for the first time in 36 years in the U.S. a month between April and September becomes the peak month for flu viral cases in the U.S.?

But the fact is flu hates the heat and UV light.  I’m hoping history holds.  It gives me something to hope for.

Rick

This. Isn’t. Flu. 

And, beyond coordinated responses, there don’t appear to be any difference in the spreading rate in warm/hot weather/high UV areas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

23 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

This. Isn’t. Flu. 

And, beyond coordinated responses, there don’t appear to be any difference in the spreading rate in warm/hot weather/high UV areas. 

influenza virus,  Coronavirus,  

Rick does not judge by the color of your protein but by the content of your nucleic acid 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

Also to be fair to Ricks point other Coronavirus have been seasonal.  There is no reason to believe that CoVid 19 won’t slow in the heat of summer.  If only a 10% drop in infections were to occur that might be enough to get us through this and to herd immunity.  Which is the ultimate goal.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1