Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

got it...you believe what he did makes him deserve it. 

this world has no anomalies...everything is perfectly fixed based upon %'s.  there are never any upsets or outliers

both graphs are the same

bad shit happens to good people

i need another beer

edit:  common sense states that you are more likely to catch something from 19k than from 5, but that doesn't mean you can't catch it from 5

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Both graphs are not the same. One is a greater than 99% chance, the other is a 2.41% chance.  

I absolutely do not think he deserved it. He was asking for it though.

I do not have tolerance for his espousing dangerous behaviors. That is the story to me. One that people should take notice of... It isn't about the rally. We already knew that was a dangerous decision by the president. That is already well covered.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I think this is filed under the 'win stupid prizes' or 'Darwin Awards' section. That is chuckle worthy. 

Though his family didn't make him play those stupid games or test evolutionary fate. I am sorry for their loss. Losing a father, grandparent or sibling is terrible. I wish he took more care and didn't espouse the downplaying of this virus. The picture of him without mask at the Tulsa Rally will be the image I see when I hear his name... forever. It overtook the 9-9-9 plan. 

10 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

Yea - I don't find it funny, but also think in hindsight (and to most people also at the time) an in person rally in Tulsa (especially without social distancing measures in place) was not a good idea. I certainly feel for his family and loves ones and would not wish anyone to contract this illness.

11 hours ago, CMJ said:

I guess there's no way to know for certain that's where Cain got it, but the preponderance of evidence is he did at the Tulsa rally.  Stay away from gatherings of hundreds/thousands of people - even in a mask!

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wow.   These kinds of stories are popping up all over the place.   The ultimate "oops".   I don't understand why people haven't learned yet...     WEAR YOUR MASKS!   

all of these people have insinuated or implied that he caught it at the rally....responses from the tweet/post by coffee and tea, therefore ya'll are saying he didn't catch it from a gas station or random spot.

at least cmj recognizes that no one knows for sure where he contracted the virus

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Obviously this is me. "I think this is filed under the 'win stupid prizes' or 'Darwin Awards' section. That is chuckle worthy. "

I didn't mention the rally. I am referring to his whole non-mask picture at the rally and his tweet saying American are fed up and he's not wearing a mask. 

But as you say, common sense says he was more likely to catch it at a Rally than a gas station... And we know he was at a rally and I have no idea if he ever pumped his own gas. So using your common sense, it is plausible and not too far of a fetch. Right?  That's not unreasonable thinking. 

But trying to blame Trump? I blame him for being late to the common sense party and still daily pandering to conspiracies.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, THOR said:

all of these people have insinuated or implied that he caught it at the rally....responses from the tweet/post by coffee and tea, therefore ya'll are saying he didn't catch it from a gas station or random spot.

Huh?   Yeah, I guess I’m saying he most-likely caught it at a huge gathering of unmasked, loud cheering/yelling people.  The timeline of events sorta lends itself to that theory, but I could be wrong.

That doesn’t mean he couldn’t have caught it by running into a QT for a Dr Pepper & beef jerky afterwards.  I dunno.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Obviously this is me. "I think this is filed under the 'win stupid prizes' or 'Darwin Awards' section. That is chuckle worthy. "

I didn't mention the rally. I am referring to his whole non-mask picture at the rally and his tweet saying American are fed up and he's not wearing a mask. 

But as you say, common sense says he was more likely to catch it at a Rally than a gas station... And we know he was at a rally and I have no idea if he ever pumped his own gas. So using your common sense, it is plausible and not too far of a fetch. Right?  That's not unreasonable thinking. 

But trying to blame Trump? I blame him for being late to the common sense party and still daily pandering to conspiracies.

you are totally right, but we don't know...that's all i've been trying to say.  it is possible that he didn't catch it at the rally like people are inferring.

blaming the president, i really don't understand that. i assume you live in texas (i'm pretty sure we've played at gmg charity games together), why not blame abbott or the mayor of your city?  many governors/mayors have passed mandates to wear a mask.  they know about they cities/states better than a president does.  they could have made masks mandatory from the beginning, but didn't.  aren't they to blame?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, I do blame them.. Abbot's orders from the beginning were just enough to get good press for doing something, but gray enough to but change much. I'm happy he finally mandated masks. 

Remember Gobert joking and touching all the reporters microphones - mocking what the NBA has just met with them in imploring them to take it seriously and it spreads via aerosol..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/jazz/2020/03/11/rudy-gobert-nba-jazz-joked-coronavirus-touched-reporters-recorders-interview/5028089002/

He felt terrible afterwards! Made amends, apologized and be changed his tune. He caught it... Gave it to a teammate.. felt terrible. He should have taken it seriously and led by example. 

I expect that type of response from the elected leaders. But they are not young adults like Gobert, they should know better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, THOR said:

they could have made masks mandatory from the beginning, but didn't.  aren't they to blame?

Come on now, Cuomo and DeBlasio are downright saints in how they've handled this situation.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

BECAUSE THEY HAVE CONTROLLED THE SPREAD ALREADY. God Lord. 

Why is this so hard to understand? When there are flare ups - they respond with masks and be shutdown. 

We've had more death in this one day in Texas (322) than Norway has had the whole time (255).

Our positive rate has come down to 12%. Big improvement really.

Norway's is 1% right now. 

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/norway?country=~NOR

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

BECAUSE THEY HAVE CONTROLLED THE SPREAD ALREADY. God Lord. 

Why is this so hard to understand? When there are flare ups - they respond with masks and be shutdown. 

asking you this because you and i seem to be on the opposite side of everything and those words make me think you are good with a shutdown(i could be wrong).  i'm having a hard time with the idea of a shutdown.  yes, i know that fewer people in groups leads to fewer cases.  walmart/home depot/lowes/etc. never shut down,  never had issues, and never had any outbreaks of coronoa, before or after mask mandates.  why couldn't all businesses have stayed open or at least been given the choice?  so many businesses have shut down permanently and our unemployment rate has skyrocketed.  restaurants could have stayed open, bars (with obvious numerical restrictions) could have stayed open, barbers, massueses, nail salons  and helped out the citizens and economy.  i truly do not understand why certain places were shut down and others weren't.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, THOR said:

asking you this because you and i seem to be on the opposite side of everything and those words make me think you are good with a shutdown(i could be wrong).  

Bars, strip clubs, dance clubs, concert venues and those types of places are hot spots. I think they needed closed down.. but really, unless we had an-in response, it will be drawn out and hurt the whole nation's economy. We never had an all-in response from the top down. 

Economists have researched the slow down and estimate that mandatory shutdown only added  7% to the overall decline. Sweden had a stay open policy and their economy suffered exactly like all other EU nations... But they had a way higher death toll and their leaders now regret it 

Frontman Behind Sweden's Coronavirus Strategy Regrets High Death Toll

https://www.livescience.com/results-of-sweden-covid19-response.html

So it isn't a clear cut open/close answer here. The pandemic is real, even in Sweden that stayed open but warned people to take caution.. it wasn't the answer. Norway shut down and tested a ton and covid traced a ton.. They are in the clear now. 

Whose response is better? Sweden thinks Norway.

Obviously we are not in the same category because of our size. So.. I don't know. Truly. But some things have to be shutdown because they cannot be done safely in an outbreak (like we have now locally)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Bars, strip clubs, dance clubs, concert venues and those types of places are hot spots. I think they needed closed down.. but really, unless we had an-in response, it will be drawn out and hurt the whole nation's economy. We never had an all-in response from the top down. 

Economists have researched the slow down and estimate that mandatory shutdown only added  7% to the overall decline. Sweden had a stay open policy and their economy suffered exactly like all other EU nations... But they had a way higher death toll and their leaders now regret it 

Frontman Behind Sweden's Coronavirus Strategy Regrets High Death Toll https://www.npr.org/2020/06/06/871404638/frontman-behind-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-regrets-high-death-toll

So it isn't a clear cut open/close answer here. The pandemic is real, even in Sweden that stayed open but warned people to take caution.. it wasn't the answer. Norway shut down and tested a ton and covid traced a ton.. They are in the clear now. 

Whose response is better? Sweden thinks Norway.

Obviously we are not in the same category because of our size. So.. I don't know. Truly. But some things have to be shutdown because they cannot be done safely in an outbreak (like we have now locally)

those i totally get...we humans are stupid sometimes and don't always heed to warning signs (i'm one of them).  just don't get why big stores were allowed to be open, but not small ones, thus causing them to go out of business for no reason. 7% is huge in America....don't agree with the shutdown.

thanks for your answer

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, THOR said:

those i totally get...we humans are stupid sometimes and don't always heed to warning signs (i'm one of them).  just don't get why big stores were allowed to be open, but not small ones, thus causing them to go out of business for no reason. 7% is huge in America....don't agree with the shutdown.

thanks for your answer

I am not aware that small stores had to close. But the lack of business and restrictions on capacity made it not worth it to be open. 

Big box did things like require masks, limit capacity, make isles directional, tape mark spacing on the floors..

Salons are questionable - there have been community spread. My opinion (and studies show) that masks help in salons. Night and day difference.. but at that time Abbot shot down Dallas's mask mandate. He said it was illegal and unenforceable. So that salon lady used it for publicity and the new deniers ate it up...and dipshit Ted Cruz is out getting a haircut in violation of a court order for the cameras.

I haven't been to my barber in 6 months. I check his online booking though and he is still booked up.. When I didn't let my cleaning lady come, I still paid her. When my nanny was sitting at home for 5 months... I still paid her. When my kids swim lessons shut down (note - we still don't go) we still have them autobill. My favorite local restaurants, we buy gift cards, though we don't go eat there. My kids soccer coach does online lessons via zoom.. I definitely over pay for them. 

My wife and I try to do our part to keep the economy around us rolling. I think we all have some part in keeping this going (including responsible covid precautions).

I can't believe the govt sent out $1200 to everyone ... Regardless if they were impacted. That was a big waste. Help the businesses that have proven impact. I really like how EU nations provided 90% salary for workers that would have been let go. It kept their job, kept them productive and directly helped .. 

Not a mass mailing of money to everyone. Well not everyone.. there was an upper limit. If I got that money, I would have donated it to charity immediately.

That's a different topic I guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I am not aware that small stores had to close. But the lack of business and restrictions on capacity made it not worth it to be open. 

Big box did things like require masks, limit capacity, make isles directional, tape mark spacing on the floors..

Salons are questionable - there have been community spread. My opinion (and studies show) that masks help in salons. Night and day difference.. but at that time Abbot shot down Dallas's mask mandate. He said it was illegal and unenforceable. So that salon lady used it for publicity and the new deniers ate it up...and dipshit Ted Cruz is out getting a haircut in violation of a court order for the cameras.

I haven't been to my barber in 6 months. I check his online booking though and he is still booked up.. When I didn't let my cleaning lady come, I still paid her. When my nanny was sitting at home for 5 months... I still paid her. When my kids swim lessons shut down (note - we still don't go) we still have them autobill. My favorite local restaurants, we buy gift cards, though we don't go eat there. My kids soccer coach does online lessons via zoom.. I definitely over pay for them. 

My wife and I try to do our part to keep the economy around us rolling. I think we all have some part in keeping this going (including responsible covid precautions).

I can't believe the govt sent out $1200 to everyone ... Regardless if they were impacted. That was a big waste. Help the businesses that have proven impact. I really like how EU nations provided 90% salary for workers that would have been let go. It kept their job, kept them productive and directly helped .. 

Not a mass mailing of money to everyone. Well not everyone.. there was an upper limit. If I got that money, I would have donated it to charity immediately.

That's a different topic I guess.

i love almost everything you said in this post...maybe we aren't so different in our thinking ....beers man!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

I've been in a Tripel kick lately. Trying to ease off hops and back to nuanced flavors. 😂

BTW - I've never done a gmg charity game. Though we are roughly the same age and likely stood side by side at Lou's back in the day. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, THOR said:

why should it wake people up?  should we never leave the house and live in fear of not going out?  should we all wear a mask 100% of the time?  

two people died of covid...do we know exactly where they contracted it?  no.  Could they have gotten it from grabbing take out...getting gas....buying a beer?  sure.  Damn, this isn't an exact science and no one knows shit.  sucks 2 folks died, but people die.  doesn't mean they deserve it(not saying you said that) or that we should all wake up...damn...there is no 1 reason for this or why someone died or how they contracted it.  

It’s two public figures who advocated against wearing masks, among other idiocy. It’s 150,000+ dead. This isn’t difficult. Wear a mask if you’re going to be in close proximity and/or indoors with people outside of your household. 

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

It’s two public figures who advocated against wearing masks, among other idiocy. It’s 150,000+ dead. This isn’t difficult. Wear a mask if you’re going to be in close proximity and/or indoors with people outside of your household. 

i guess i should have been more specific....why would this one event wake people up, as you said?  i read it that this was a definitive moment that you think should wake people up, not the cases/deaths increases that have been happening

12 hours ago, THOR said:

i guess i should have been more specific....why would this one event wake people up, as you said?  i read it that this was a definitive moment that you think should wake people up, not the cases/deaths increases that have been happening

Not a definitive moment. Just a moment for conspiracy theorists to see other conspiracy theorists go down to the virus. But that’s probably a conspiracy too...

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...