Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

To follow up on an earlier narrative about why deaths are not the gold standard:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-from-italy-effects-of-covid-19-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-12027348

The virus is a systemic infection that affects all the organs of the body, not, as was previously thought, just a respiratory disease, they say.

The physicians warn that people who do not consider themselves in a vulnerable group and aren't concerned at contracting the disease could be putting themselves in danger of life-changing illnesses if they ignore the rules to keep safe.

"At first, initially, we thought it was a bad flu, then we thought it was a bad flu with a very bad pneumonia, it was the phase when you came here, but subsequently we discovered that it is a systemic illness with vessel damage in the whole body with renal involvement, cerebral involvement," 

"So we are seeing other acute manifestations of renal failure that require dialysis; or stroke, and then acute myocardial infarction, so a lot of complications or other manifestations of the virus.

"And also now we see a significant proportion of the population with chronic damage from the virus."

I mean, lingering after effects was true with the Spanish Flu as well.  People were thought to have been impacted by years from it.  It's hypothesized by some historians that it may have contributed to President Wilson's stroke in late 1919 (he had the flu in March).

But at the end of the day when the pandemic is discussed in historic terms, deaths is the headliner.  

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

14 hours ago, CMJ said:

I mean, lingering after effects was true with the Spanish Flu as well.  People were thought to have been impacted by years from it.  It's hypothesized by some historians that it may have contributed to President Wilson's stroke in late 1919 (he had the flu in March).

But at the end of the day when the pandemic is discussed in historic terms, deaths is the headliner.  

I am a little more interested in the current ramifications rather than the historical legacy. I get that is your interest but it doesn’t move the needle right now for me. 

This has real implications for Americans, who in general have expensive medical care and shaky insurance coverage. Over 5 million have lost their health insurance over the past months. These lingering effects are also a problem in places where the health system is overwhelmed. Routine care may not be an option in some places for short periods of time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Maybe more people on this website will take thing more seriously when their loved one can't get a hospital bed. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/14/texas-hospitals-coronavirus/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

So sad, but I'm afraid you're right. 

There are many folks out there who have been blessed with health, and their loved ones have as well.   Unfortunately, those folks take it for granted, and will continue to do so until they themselves, or someone they loved gets touched by this wildfire.

I know several folks who would normally be all-in on their "freedoms" and never wear a mask, but have a relative with a condition that would put them at great risk, so they wear their masks religiously and strive to stay in as much as possible.  

• Upvote 4

On 7/13/2020 at 9:39 AM, ColoradoEagle said:

He was drinking a cup of coffee which, per airline rules, allows one to remove their mask, and, per common sense, it requires the mask be removed to get said liquid into the body.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He was drinking a cup of coffee which, per airline rules, allows one to remove their mask, and, per common sense, it requires the mask be removed to get said liquid into the body.  

No, he's just an irresponsible jackass. 

He also held an event the day before in Grandbury with 250-300 people indoors and no one wearing a mask. Very smart for a guy who has already had to go into isolation twice due to exposure! 

tn4575favla51.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

Just wanted to let you guys know that me and the Mrs both tested negative today. I am glad to be done with this. We had very mild symptoms, but it's still a scary thing to deal with.

Good news.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

So on to the original topic of this thread, the number of people I know that have gotten it is several now, including a friend of my wife and her entire family (husband + 3 kids). Generally everyone I know has had cases on the more mild side, although one was sick for about 2 weeks and still hasn't fully recovered from a breathing standpoint (normal tasks still wind them). I've been fortunate in that my work has fully been work from home since early March and currently don't have a date that we expect to be back at client/office sites.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

No, he's just an irresponsible jackass. 

He also held an event the day before in Grandbury with 250-300 people indoors and no one wearing a mask. Very smart for a guy who has already had to go into isolation twice due to exposure! 

tn4575favla51.jpg

Yep, one of the airline steps states except when eating or drinking and then it must be put back on when done. At the gate, he probably should have worn one but mask wearing is also required when you can’t socially distance and it does not look like anyone is in his immediate area. Look, pictures can be captured and misinterpreted pretty easily. The picture taker is just another “Karen” with an agenda. 

Back on topic, no I do not. Know some folks that were told they were exposed that never showed a symptom and tested negative. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

glad you and the missus are on the mend. 

without knowing at all where your head was before it hit your home personally, has your experience changed your opinion and behaviors around COVID?

Thanks. I think the virus is not as bad as the media portrays. Do I think it is a concern? Absolutely. Do I think you should wear a mask? 100%. 

For the most part, we were wearing a mask when out and about. The older population should be very careful when out and about. Same goes to people that are overweight or unhealthy.

We will continue to stay at home, and limit our interactions with people.I do not have faith with the majority of America doing this.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep, one of the airline steps states except when eating or drinking and then it must be put back on when done. At the gate, he probably should have worn one but mask wearing is also required when you can’t socially distance and it does not look like anyone is in his immediate area. Look, pictures can be captured and misinterpreted pretty easily. The picture taker is just another “Karen” with an agenda. 

Back on topic, no I do not. Know some folks that were told they were exposed that never showed a symptom and tested negative. 

He's not gonna see this dude. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

In Virginia... So.. like inflated positive results (including probable covid) and making the death percentage go down (since all death require positive test). I agree, they should fix that too report the accurate death rate.

"A lack of federal guidelines has created huge variation in how states are reporting their COVID-19 data and in what kind of data they provide to the public.

These gaps can be used for political advantage. In at least one state, Virginia, senior officials are blending the results of two different types of coronavirus test in order to report a more favorable result to the public."

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2