Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

10 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

How can the administration slow it down?

For starters:

Lead by example.
Clearly state this is not a hoax and the dangers are real.
The top leaders need to be seen wearing a mask and showing the recommended protocol. 
Do not have mass gatherings (rallies?) in locations that have no met the CDC recommendations for public gatherings.
Enforce a mask policy at your gathers (SD, DC 4th celebrations).
Offer as much assistance as required and wanted by the states with an outbreak (without saying - this means to not threaten 'liberal' states that don't align with the President's ego).
Don't lie! Stop saying that everyone who wants a test can get a test. Stop lying about the capability of tests. 

That is just the baseline what I would expect from an administration when so many people are affected by this sickness. 

Instead this administration inserts doubt into the numbers or the seriousness - ignore all their own recommendations - go to twitter to show off how much they are not following the CDC policies. Trump goes on TV and still is saying this will "disappear" and signs are looking good. Passing off the theory the summer heat will take care of it (as we saw parroted at gmg - a lot). So how about some good old fashioned hat holding on the things they got wrong and show some leadership on getting this back on track? 

All of this certainly emboldens those that want to doubt and want to blindly follow Trump to the Earth's end. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

For starters:

Lead by example.
Clearly state this is not a hoax and the dangers are real.
The top leaders need to be seen wearing a mask and showing the recommended protocol. 
Do not have mass gatherings (rallies?) in locations that have no met the CDC recommendations for public gatherings.
Enforce a mask policy at your gathers (SD, DC 4th celebrations).
Offer as much assistance as required and wanted by the states with an outbreak (without saying - this means to not threaten 'liberal' states that don't align with the President's ego).
Don't lie! Stop saying that everyone who wants a test can get a test. Stop lying about the capability of tests. 

That is just the baseline what I would expect from an administration when so many people are affected by this sickness. 

All that sounds nice, but that doesn't seem like that would actually slow the physical spread of a virus to the majority of the country. Most of that list involves what the President can do better with his words...he's not that powerful

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

All that sounds nice, but that doesn't seem like that would actually slow the physical spread of a virus to the majority of the country. Most of that list involves what the President can do better with his words...he's not that powerful

I glad a reasonable response sounds "nice" to you.  It is a start - like I said. 

Once we have a baseline understanding of how serious this is - then we can start actually making policy that people should be able to understand and follow. Lockdowns, mandatory stay in place orders, etc etc. Maybe restricting air travel between states. Enforcing quarantines. Fund *actual* laboratories instead the startup shops by someone's B-school bro. There a lot of actions that can be taken - once you know - we can all agree that this virus is actually dangerous and not Kung-Flu. 

Instead you have a Senator going to get a haircut from a salon that was violating the county orders in front of cameras for the whole showmanship of it. 

It's more than just a nicety. It's called leadership. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

16 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I re-read my list and five of the seven listed items do not involve Trump's words. They are actions. Simple actions -- to not be a brazen ass. So, I don't agree at all that "most of this list" is about the President using his "best words" - we know he knows the best words.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I just don’t see how the government can DO anything to stop it. Short of forcing  everyone to stay away from everyone else. 

Just because you can't control some people - you still should do the right thing and follow the science. 

France is roughly the same size of Texas and more than double the population. How did they contain this? 
EU populate comparable to the US - how did they contain this? 

Start there... 

You think those countries don't have individual thinker who can't be controlled or be bothered to care about doing the right thing?

We need to stop thinking that we are a special case on all things and we can do it all better on our own path. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

5 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I just don’t see how the government can DO anything to stop it. Short of forcing  everyone to stay away from everyone else. 

Maybe we can ask one of the dozens of other countries who seem to have figured it out. Let's start with New Zealand.

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I re-read my list and five of the seven listed items do not involve Trump's words. They are actions. Simple actions -- to not be a brazen ass. So, I don't agree at all that "most of this list" is about the President using his "best words" - we know he knows the best words.

Ok technically 3 of the 7....and I didn’t say “best words”

But I’ll walk back my “most” comment being that it would require 51% of your list to refer to “words.” I stand corrected. 

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Ok technically 3 of the 7....and I didn’t say “best words”

But I’ll walk back my “most” comment being that it would require 51% of your list to refer to “words.” I stand corrected. 

Yeh - know you didn't say "best words." Obviously that is using Trump's own best words to show his use of best words. And for the record - I am terrible and counting lines on a cell phone screen. To err is human, no? I count six, not seven and 2 or the 6 still. But my l33t text parsing skills can be wrong. 😉 

But really - it kind of rubs me the wrong way how you can wave your hands in the air and seem to indicate that his words just are just not well placed - that he can do better. Like he is just mumbling or just not conveying how he really feels accurately.

His words are actions. It takes actual effort to be so wrong on so many things. To pick up and tweet for often. To send out his press secretary to lie so often about the obvious. To have Pence peddle some half-truths about how we are sooooooo lucky that young people are getting it now. To press the point that "99% of people who get China-Virus is completely harmless" ... it is dangerous. Those words are actions.

So yeh - stopping those actions is a starting point. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Yeh - know you didn't say "best words." Obviously that is using Trump's own best words to show his use of best words. And for the record - I am terrible and counting lines on a cell phone screen. To err is human, no. 

But really - it kind of rubs me the wrong way how you can wave your hands in the air and seem to indicate that his words just are just not well placed - that he can do better. Like he is just mumbling or just not conveying how he really feels accurately.

His words are actions. It takes actual effort to be so wrong on so many things. To pick up and tweet for often. To send out his press secretary to lie so often about the obvious. To have Pence peddle some half-truths about how we are sooooooo lucky that young people are getting it now. To press the point that "99% of people who get China-Virus is completely harmless" ... it is dangerous. Those words are actions.

So yeh - stopping those actions is a starting point. 

Man...I just don't get hung up on what he says.

I know exactly what I'm getting with him so I don't base my life on what he says... he's the worst communicating President in our history. 

I know that someone probably showed him this site: https:/www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

and he rushed out and based his "99% of people who get it are harmless" comment on the below graphic. Because...that's literally what that says. It doesn't mean I should not wear a mask when I go to the store....

ACTIVE CASES
Currently Infected Patients
4,439,813 (99%)
in Mild Condition
58,030 (1%)
Serious or Critical

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

11 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Man...I just don't get hung up on what he says.

I am glad you recognize and don't put stock in his words. I wish all were so strong. Because his own people, that he "employs", are still out there (with much better language) trying convincing people that this is blown up and fake. 

Pence in his own op-ed: https://www.wsj.com/articles/there-isnt-a-coronavirus-second-wave-11592327890 

Or Trump's pressure to make sure there is no 'mask mandate' - Pence is out there swinging for the fences: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/trump-says-coronavirus-masks-are-good-but-doubts-national-mandate-is-needed.html

It just doesn't stop. The words are actions. Showing no governance or leadership on the MOST basic of science.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I am glad you recognize and don't put stock in his words. I wish all were so strong. Because his own people, that he "employs", are still out there (with much better language) trying convincing people that this is blown up and fake. 

Pence in his own op-ed: https://www.wsj.com/articles/there-isnt-a-coronavirus-second-wave-11592327890 

Or Trump's pressure to make sure there is no 'mask mandate' - Pence is out there swinging for the fences: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/trump-says-coronavirus-masks-are-good-but-doubts-national-mandate-is-needed.html

Dr Fauci also said this isn't a second wave....because we're still in the first. Not sure what difference it makes...

And right there in the headline! Trump says "masks are good" So going by our discussion....you should be happy with that and expect everyone to go out and wear masks now...

“But I’m all for masks, I think masks are good,” the president said, adding that he has been seen wearing one in situations where he was in a group of people.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

you should be happy with that and expect everyone to go out and wear masks now...

I am so happy.  That's his magic. 

You are trying to strawman titles - it's ok - but it is disingenuous. It's disappointing. We know the Pence was not talking about nuance of this really being the first wave. If read it article - he is saying the virus is under control and we are not seeing an upswing.  Fauci was using his words to indicate that we were never out of the first wave and never had this under control. 

But I get it - you don't think there is anything we can do or that the government can do (with words or actions) that can stop this virus and we need to just pull our seats up the bar and take a strong pull. 

How about ICE saying they will deport students if universities are online? Astounding leadership!   Let's try to punish those liberal institutions and their brainwashed students if they do they decide the right thing is to do online school for part of the year.

I am sure we can all agree these guys need to get the hell out of our country - right?

ACC – 19
Ruke Orhorhoro, DL, Clemson (Nigeria)
Abdul Bello, OL, Florida State (Nigeria)
Sylvain Yondjouen, DL, Georgia Tech (Belgium)
Louis Hedley, P, Miami (Australia)
Alan Nadelsticher, LS, Miami (Mexico)
Mackenzie Morgan, P, NC State (Australia)
Kirk Christodoulou, P, Pittsburgh (Australia)
Liam Dick, OL, Pittsburgh (Canada)
Jared Wayne, WR, Pittsburgh (Canada)
Matthew Bergeron, OL, Syracuse (Quebec, Canada)
Geoff Cantin, LB, Syracuse (Quebec, Canada)
Patrick Davis, OL, Syracuse (Quebec, Canada)
Tyrell Richards, LB, Syracuse (Canada)
Kariem Al Soufi, OL, Virginia (Germany)
Terrell Jana, WR, Virginia (Canada)
Gerrik Vollmer, OL, Virginia (Germany)
Luke Wentz, QB, Virginia (Germany)
Oscar Bradburn, P, Virginia Tech (Australia)

Big Ten – 15
Sydney Brown, S, Illinois (Canada)
Blake Hayes, P, Illinois (Australia)
Haydon Whitehead, P, Indiana (Australia)
Michael Sleep-Dalton, P, Iowa (Australia)
David Ojabo, DL, Michigan (Scotland)
Luiji Vilain, DL, Michigan (Canada)
Julius Welschof, DL, Michigan (Germany)
Jack Bouwmeester, P, Michigan State (Australia)
Daniel Faalele, OL, Minnesota (Australia)
Joseph Darkwa, DT, Penn State (Germany)
Jonathan Sutherland, S, Penn State (Canada)
Anton Oskarrson, OL, Rutgers (Sweden)
Adam Korsak, P, Rutgers (Australia)
Sam Vretman, OL, Rutgers (Sweden)

Big 12 – 7
Matt Leo, DE, Iowa State (Australia)
Chuba Hubbard, RB, Oklahoma State (Canada)
Tom Hutton, P, Oklahoma State (Australia)
Ryan Bujcevski, P, Texas (Australia)
Jose Miranda, RB, TCU (Nicaragua)
Jordan Sandy, P, TCU (Australia)
Eric Sjostedt, OL, West Virginia (Sweden)

Pac-12 – 21
Steven Coutts, P, California (Australia)
Jasper Frils, OL, California (Germany)
Siulagisipai Fuimaono, DT, California (Japan)
Lone Toailoa, DL, California (New Zealand)
James Stefanou, P, Colorado (Australia)
Valentin Senn, OL, Colorado (Australia)
Simon Sandberg, DL, Oregon State (Sweden)
=Ben Griffiths, P, USC (Australia)
Luke Felix-Fualalo, OL, Utah (Australia)
Ben Lennon, P, Utah (Australia)
Keegan Markgraf, LS, Utah (Canada)
Vamidele Olaseni, OL, Utah (England)
Thomas Yassmin, TE, Utah (Australia)
Misiona Aiolupotea-Pei, DL, Washington St. (Australia)

SEC – 3
Josh Growden, P, LSU (Australia)
Franklin Agbasimere, LB, Missouri (Nigeria)
Mohamed Diallo, OL, Texas A&M (Canada)

Independents – 7
Miguel Provencio, TE, New Mexico State (Mexico)
Samuel Emilus, WR, UMass (Quebec, Canada)
Tyris LeBeau, S, UMass (Canada)
John Kourtis, OL, Liberty (Canada)
Ralfs Rusins, DL, Liberty (Latvia)
Danny Jones, P, BYU (Australia)
Motekiai Langi, DL, BYU (Tonga)

American – 17
Chris Ferguston, OT, Cincinnati (Bahamas)
Bruno Labelle, TE, Cincinnati (Quebec, Canada)
Lorenz Metz, DT, Cincinnati (Germany)
James Smith, P, Cincinnati (Australia)
Kevens Clercius, WR, UConn (Quebec, Canada)
Terrence Ganyi, LB, UConn (Quebec, Canada)
Luke Magliozzi, P, UConn (Australia)
Lwal Uguak, DE, UConn (Canada)
Jack Zergiotis, QB, UConn (Quebec, Canada)
Olivier Charles-Pierre, DE, Houston (Quebec, Canada)
Dane Roy, P, Houston (Australia)
Jamie Sackville, P, SMU (Australia)
Trent Schneider, P, South Florida (Australia)
Oskar Andersson, OL, Temple (Sweden)
Isaac Moore, OL, Temple (Sweden)
Victor Stoffel, OL, Temple (Sweden)
Nick Toppino, WR, Tulane (Japan)

Conference USA – 5
Frederik Antoine, WR, Old Dominion (Quebec, Canada)
Mitchell Crawford, P, UTEP (Australia)
Lucas Dean, P, UTSA (Australia)
John Haggerty, P, Western Kentucky (Australia)

Mid-American – 17
Julien Bourassa, TE, Buffalo (Quebec, Canada)
Cole Burniston, TE, Buffalo (Canada)
Tomas Jack-Kurdyla, DE, Buffalo (Quebec, Canada)
Dominic Johnson, QB, Buffalo (Canada)
Dev Lamour, FS, Buffalo (Quebec, Canada)
Gabe Wallace, OT, Buffalo (Canada)
Fabian Weltz, LB, Buffalo (Germany)
Albert Jespersen, DL, Central Michigan (Denmark)
Berenard Raimann, TE, Central Michigan (Austria)
Oge Udeogu, OL, Central Michigan (Nigeria)
Jake Julien, P, Eastern Michigan (Canada)
Thomas Odukoya, TE, Eastern Michigan (Netherlands)
Yannik Rohrschneider, OL, Eastern Michigan (Germany)
Sidy Sow, OL, Eastern Michigan (Quebec, Canada)
Thomas Aronokhale, OL, Ohio (Austria)
Denzel Daxon, DL, Ohio (Bahamas)
Bailey Flint, P, Toledo (Australia)

Mountain West – 26
Isaiah Bagnah, LB, Boise State (Canada)
Jan-Phillip Bombek, DE, Colorado State (Germany)
Marc-David Bien-Aime, OL, Fresno State (Quebec, Canada)
Dontae Bull, OL, Fresno State (Canada)
Alex Dumais, OL, Fresno State (Quebec, Canada)
Stan Gaudion, P, Hawaii (Australia)
Max Hendrie, DL, Hawaii (Australia)
Nick Mardner, WR, Hawaii (Canada)
Ryan Meskell, K, Hawaii (Australia)
Ben Scruton, DB, Hawaii (Australia)
Tyson Dyer, P, New Mexico (Australia)
Ladji Bagayoko, OL, San Diego State (Quebec, Canada)
Lasse Engel, DB, San Diego State (Germany)
Delon Jemmott, DL, San Diego State (Canada)
Daniel Okpoko, DL, San Diego State (Canada)
Samir El Negro, OL, San Jose State (Italy)
Duane Tuitasi, DL, San Jose State (Australia)

Sun Belt – 6
Xavier Subotsch, P, Appalachian State (Australia)
Aaron Donkor, DL, Arkansas State (Germany)
Alex Roberts, RB, Arkansas State (Japan)
Enock Makonzo, DB, Coastal Carolina (Quebec, Canada)
Oliver Holdenson, P, Georgia State (Australia)
Rhys Byrns, P, Louisiana (Australia)

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm done with what the media talking heads say about Trump. I've tried to put together the various sources of what he is actually doing, along with (hopefully) unedited video releases of his public speeches.  Here are some of these bookmarks.  If anyone has any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

Federal Register of Executive Orders
Factba.se Presidential Calendar.  Also, they do transcriptions of all his speeches. [WARNING: Trump loves to golf.  I mean, I knew he loved golfing but, when I saw the numbers, I was floored.)
whitehouse.gov/1600Daily

Other relevant links:
Supreme Court's calendar and lists
Congress floor calendars

...I think most of us know these sources are out there.  It's just very easy for the common man to rely on the daily news cycle and get lazy about looking them up.  They are important! They are the actual actions taken by our officials! Not what second-handers are saying.

Lastly, I gotta admit: I personally find it off-putting that a president (Trump or anyone!) would take 2+ consecutive weekends off to golf in the middle of these times.  I mean, a man needs his rest; but golly! he and I are just wired differently.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Maybe we can ask one of the dozens of other countries who seem to have figured it out. Let's start with New Zealand.

New Zealand, Italy, Taiwan, really any country that managed to get their case counts under some kind of control. If we can't borrow things wholesale, then small parts.

Some of it might ask folks to things they aren't comfortable with, but if it saves lives and helps produce consistent economic activity in the long run, it'll probably be better than the start/stop we have here.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, meangreendork said:

New Zealand, Italy, Taiwan, really any country that managed to get their case counts under some kind of control. If we can't borrow things wholesale, then small parts.

Some of it might ask folks to things they aren't comfortable with, but if it saves lives and helps produce consistent economic activity in the long run, it'll probably be better than the start/stop we have here.

but did any of those other countries have a vast left wing conspiracy and/or a Bill of Rights that supersedes science? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

My issue with the numbers is how accurate they actually are and of the unfortunate deaths coded to the virus, how many of these people had underlying conditions?  Three things have stood out to me in recent days that cause me to question everything:

1.  I have a friend in Dallas, and their parents decided to go and get tested.  They filled out the paperwork and after waiting almost two hours, left the clinic without being tested.  They were called a couple days later and informed that their tests were positive.  They informed the clinic that they were never tested to which the clinic responded by stating that they had their paperwork in front of them.  Again, they stated that they were not tested as they decided to leave after waiting for almost two hours.  A co-worker has a similar story.

2.  A woman died of the coronavirus at our hospital on Monday.  She was a resident of a local nursing facility and 91 years old.  The lasts sentence of the report states "she had underlying conditions."  The local news reported the same on the evening newscast.  So, out of all of these deaths, how many had underlying conditions, what were the conditions and had compromised was their immune system prior to contracting the virus.

3. There was an article on Yahoo! yesterday with the headline "21 Year Old Girl Dies After Taking Hydroxychloroquine."  After reading the article, it was revealed that she was a resident of Florida that attended a youth camp, didn't wear a mask and didn't practice social distancing.  Her parents self administer Hydroxycholoroquine and had her sit in her grandfather's oxygen chamber, all done outside the care of a physician.  She also suffered from a nervous system disorder, auto-immune disease and was clinically obese.  If someone had not read the article they would not know the true facts to the case.  The headline was disingenuous.  

Take from this what you want, but I am tired of reporting that doesn't share all of the facts and also of how some of these deaths are being coded.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

https://collincountytx.new.swagit.com/videos/62477?ts=5216

start at the 15:00 mark 

you think maybe this has something to do with numbers in Texas “exploding?” And isn’t it logical to think someone without COVID is now considered to have COVID? Based on the changed definition, not a positive test  

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain this....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3