Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

7 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

"bUt tHe dEaTh rAtE IS dEclinIng" i attempt to scream before the ICU nurse reattaches my ventilator.

I've never once said there were no deaths.  It's kinda funny to me that I was banging the drum on the killer this turned out to be months ago and now people think I'm downplaying it.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

My assumption until proven otherwise is that excess deaths are not being accounted for at a greater level NOW than previous months. Only because the administration really wanted to open up and get back to normal - and you see it in counties like Collin. They are not reporting themselves anymore, it goes through the state of Texas. Whereas Dallas and Harris counties are doing their own reporting. 

If you watched the numbers to when Collin switched to doing it through Texas instead of their own reporting - their numbers dropped immediately. 

I am not rooting for deaths here - I am just saying that what @97and03 is saying - that the death numbers are not telling the full story (yet). 

I don't think the deaths are accurate in most countries yet, but we're probably years away from that (if we ever have a completely accurate one).

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I've never once said there were no deaths.  

I never said you did, i'm just puzzled that seems to be your go to logic whenever someone posts about the increase in cases. It would be pretty understandable if it were a cold or a mutation of chicken pox, but this thing overloading hospital systems is what will kill way more than the virus alone under ideal treatment conditions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

I never said you did, i'm just puzzled that seems to be your go to logic whenever someone posts about the increase in cases. It would be pretty understandable if it were a cold or a mutation of chicken pox, but this thing overloading hospital systems is what will kill way more than the virus alone under ideal treatment conditions. 

I'm just saying the infections haven't matched the deaths in awhile (at the beginning the curves were similar).  There was a long while where the deaths were coming down and the infections really weren't.  For instance there was a secondary spike in cases in late April that wasn't matched in deaths in May. 

Really the cases more or less plateaued starting in mid May, but the deaths did not plateau starting a couple of weeks later (as one would expect).  So using that standard the cases and deaths not necessarily going to correlate in the same way they did in March and April when they did in fact correlate very closely curve wise.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

...It's kinda funny to me that I was banging the drum on the killer this turned out to be months ago and now people think I'm downplaying it.

Hahaha.  I’ve read the threads.  This is a true statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/3/2020 at 4:28 AM, CMJ said:

I'm just saying the infections haven't matched the deaths in awhile (at the beginning the curves were similar).  There was a long while where the deaths were coming down and the infections really weren't.  For instance there was a secondary spike in cases in late April that wasn't matched in deaths in May. 

Really the cases more or less plateaued starting in mid May, but the deaths did not plateau starting a couple of weeks later (as one would expect).  So using that standard the cases and deaths not necessarily going to correlate in the same way they did in March and April when they did in fact correlate very closely curve wise.

Welcome to read the whole thread but I will post a couple tweets for those who don’t Twitter.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

As I have said numerous times, I do expect the deaths to rise again.  But every day that the trend is delayed makes me hopeful that we're not gonna get a tsunami.  The rolling death rate rose on the 2nd and I thought that might indeed be the start of the upward trend that is inevitable.  Today brought that number down again, so once more the data for this week is more or less downward (four days decreasing, two increasing).  It seems close to bottoming out obviously and we'll get the rise back in deaths, but when exactly that will be or how bad it's going to get I am not gonna pretend to guess.  I'm still surprised it has yet to happen.  The infection seven day rolling average has increased every day since June 10th, which is more than enough time for the anticipated uptick in deaths to start to show up.

Seven day rolling averages for death count:

6/27 - 594

6/28 - 596

6/29 - 595

6/30 - 581

7/1 - 560

7/2 -  564

7/3 - 558

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Exactly half way through this year and we are on pace for 250k dead from this bottoming out pandemic. 

Bottoming out means reaching the lowest point....hence it'll start rising again.  How is that so hard to understand? I fully expected 250K dead.  Just not sure when or where the bottom will be before we go back up.  Been waiting for awhile now - I thought it was gonna be around 6-8 hundred daily deaths.

The lower it gets before we go back up, hopefully implies the lower the peak will be when it does in fact go back up.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

It's not hard to get, it's just backwards and happens to be the same language used of the deniers .. of the king flu'ers..

When talking about an inverted bell curve, the term bottom out makes sense.. it is natural to expect something to get better and return to normal. Stock market, real estate, salary, etc. The bottom out is the low point and it will get better.

Pandemics track a regular bell curve and when it bottoms out - that's near the end of the curve. I'd expect layman terms of dip or a trend when taking about how you think we are not bottomed out yet, but instead you still expect a rise.. 

That's what I hear my denier pals saying (bottoming out, proof this is overplayed, it'll disappear, proof it's a hoax) ...  I think that's why you are getting some push back.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

It's not backward - it's reaching its lowest point before an increase.  The trough between the two peaks would be the bottom.  I'm not sure what the second peak will rise to when it happens.  The longer it goes before it starts, I have to think the lower this next peak will be.  The first peak in cases (using a seven day rolling average) hit on April 10th with 32,434 cases.  The peak in deaths came 11 days later on April 21st with a seven day rolling average of 2255.

Yesterday's rolling average of cases was 48,317.  So, that would seem to indicate deaths roughly a third over 2255 eleven days from now, correct?  But the cases and deaths haven't been as closely correlated since late April (which I've attempted to show), so it's tough to say where this next rise will peak at.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

19 hours ago, ADLER said:

CNN reports that the surge along the border is caused by infected people in Mexico entering the United States for treatment.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/health/border-hospitals-coronavirus/index.html

While this article is primarily about the California situation, it notes that those infected people are US citizens returning for medical care. 
Important to note that Mexico primarily got the virus from people from the United States and not the other way around. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

@UNTLifer is this where you got your medical degree?

78D64950-2DE8-4B1A-B3E7-A58FFBF91348.jpeg

That's rich considering how much you comment on this freaking virus.  Never heard of that "school" but it has obviously popped up on your screen, so I would assume you have visited the site or one like it.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4

28 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Maybe there's a better way to phrase this. 

Is there? I mean... doesn't seem like this administration is trying to slow this down. They are running up the score here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1