Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

On 6/18/2020 at 10:29 PM, THOR said:

so what part of my "diatribe" is wrong?  

core concept? 

you keep suggesting that you're not scarred of the virus...and that if you get the virus you'll likely recover. that is the definition of selfish thinking. you're not wearing the mask just for you, but for the protection of everyone around you. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/21/880832213/yes-wearing-masks-helps-heres-why
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-masks.html

obviously the full science isn't known...we've been actively battling and learning for what, 3-ish months now? if masks protect even a little bit it seems worth the mild-to-moderate discomfort...and that seems a shared sentiment by many business owners, likely many of the same stores/restaurants/bars/you name it that you've been frequenting:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/20/face-mask-order-dallas-harris-travis-bexar/

while both history and logic always indicated, now statistical trends since the re-open suggest that we're likely heading for another shut-down at some point and that most non-essential businesses are going to be operating for a finite amount of time. if masks can help extend that window for these business you care about...is that not worth it to you? 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

hey look everyone! the Civil Liberties Belt is the new US Corona Hot Spot! who ever could've guessed? 

as I've mentioned before...about half of my business and personal income comes from the service industry. my city and state (Portland, Maine) are heavily dependent on restaurants and tourism...10-12% of our state GDP comes from the service industry, another 4-5% from hotels/hospitality...we're basically neck-and-neck with Nevada as the most vulnerable should dining and tourism stop cold...so I'm actually very glad to read that you're out supporting local business...for both the sake of my business and my personal sanity I too have been grabbing snacks and beverages on local patios as we're slowly re-opening...

but do it douchebaging safely. not for you. for everyone. it's shared inconvenience. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, LongJim said:

What's good is that though there has been a rise in positives, the death rate has declined.  Hopefully that trend continues. 

I think that basically says that combination of consensus-of-information we have around the most vulnerable and more social opportunities means that younger, (potentially) "less vulnerable" people are out more acting with everything from assumed-risk to impunity...more "healthy" people testing positive will drop the death rate, sure...but it's the next steps that are more important...at risk populations have to continue vigilance, but more importantly now these "healthy" populations need to be more conscious of their subsequent interactions and behaviors. 

the latter is the part I worry about. I'm with you, hopefully this trend continues...but I fear death rate may just be a lagging indicator.  

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I think that basically says that combination of consensus-of-information we have around the most vulnerable and more social opportunities means that younger, (potentially) "less vulnerable" people are out more acting with everything from assumed-risk to impunity...more "healthy" people testing positive will drop the death rate, sure...but it's the next steps that are more important...at risk populations have to continue vigilance, but more importantly now these "healthy" populations need to be more conscious of their subsequent interactions and behaviors. 

the latter is the part I worry about. I'm with you, hopefully this trend continues...but I fear death rate may just be a lagging indicator.  

Hope not, but I guess we'll see.  The latest info I have seen has been encouraging though. 

Agree with your first paragraph.  Consideration for others is a good thing.

• Upvote 2

On 6/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, LongJim said:

What's good is that though there has been a rise in positives, the death rate has declined.  Hopefully that trend continues. 

The death rate declined because the NY and NJ outbreaks are contained. Their ICU utilizations are back into normal range. 

The death rate goes up when the ICUs fill up - which is what we are seeing now. There will be less resources and some considerations on who gets the resources. That leads to more deaths. 

Houston Children's is now taking adults since all the ICUs are filled.
The Dallas area big hospitals are near filled and are transferring to auxiliary hospitals. Parkland - near full. BUMC - full. 
This is how NYC started - I hope we are aren't going to have that situation here. Terrible. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Thor said: 

"we don't know if more people are dying due to covid or it's just recategorized as a covid death"

This is just dangerously ignorant of the facts.

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/mortality-in-the-u-s-noticeably-increased-during-the-first-months-of-2020-compared-to-previous-years/

There are considerably more deaths this year than prior years. Outside the range of normal. So if it isn't the fake new Covid - what is it? You are more willing to believe that more people are dying of other things at a higher rate - than to believe that Covid is actually the cause? That is dangerous. 

That isn't even up to date ... At week 15 of this year we were already over 70,000 more deaths in the same period of time the year before. 

As you can add up - we way past week 15 and our numbers are getting worse. 

Here is a great site covering the excess deaths over the globe. NYC alone has over 25,000 excess deaths. 

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

It's baffling to think the whole globe is lying about excess deaths. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

The deaths had been going down slightly for some time. Even before the last 3 weeks or so, the general trend has been down since April 21st (that was the height of the 7 day rolling average figure). That number peaked at 2214. It has been going down slightly ever since, with the occasional uptick till June 2nd...and then down every day since then (two days ago that average was 619). HOWEVER, yesterday that figure nosed up to 620 and today (6/24) it was also at 620.   I've started watching the rolling averages because there isn't as much "noise" as the day by day numbers can sometimes have (especially around the weekends the numbers always fall, then climb Tue/Wed and then settle down as it heads to the weekend when the pattern repeats).  

The number to watch is a the deaths from last Thursday, because that is the number that will next be replaced in the rolling average. Last week the number was 747.  So, if the number for tomorrow goes north of 747 the rolling average will also notch up.  It's too early to know if we're in a trend back up or just a blip.

13 hours ago, CMJ said:

The deaths had been going down slightly for some time. Even before the last 3 weeks or so, the general trend has been down since April 21st (that was the height of the 7 day rolling average figure). That number peaked at 2214. It has been going down slightly ever since, with the occasional uptick till June 2nd...and then down every day since then (two days ago that average was 619). HOWEVER, yesterday that figure nosed up to 620 and today (6/24) it was also at 620.   I've started watching the rolling averages because there isn't as much "noise" as the day by day numbers can sometimes have (especially around the weekends the numbers always fall, then climb Tue/Wed and then settle down as it heads to the weekend when the pattern repeats).  

The number to watch is a the deaths from last Thursday, because that is the number that will next be replaced in the rolling average. Last week the number was 747.  So, if the number for tomorrow goes north of 747 the rolling average will also notch up.  It's too early to know if we're in a trend back up or just a blip.

Again. It. Isn’t. All. About. Deaths.

Stop helping  the deniers by even engaging in the deaths discussion. 
The numbers to watch is hospitalizations. 

That is more relevant to the overall public health concern. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Again. It. Isn’t. All. About. Deaths.

Stop helping  the deniers by even engaging in the deaths discussion. 
The numbers to watch is hospitalizations. 

That is more relevant to the overall public health concern. 

No...the numbers I've cared about since the beginning is deaths.  When people look back on this pandemic in 50-100 years, that is what they will remember.  No one knows how many people were sick with the Spanish Flu -- but we all know the approximate death toll was 670K in the US.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

11 minutes ago, CMJ said:

No...the numbers I've cared about since the beginning is deaths.  When people look back on this pandemic in 50-100 years, that is what they will remember.  No one knows how many people were sick with the Spanish Flu -- but we all know the approximate death toll was 670K in the US.

And that is foolish. We should be worried about the people who can’t or won’t receive treatment because of hospital capacity. We should be concerned about the “recovered” patients with various lingering health issues. Our health care system is pretty horrible and bankrupts thousands every year. Many never seek treatment for that reason. 
There have been people who develop kidney issues from this. Even preliminary reports of this triggering diabetes. Heart problems in young people.

Deaths are horrible and tragic. But they are the tip of the iceberg. I am not worried about history. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

To the person who rolled the eyes at this news, please feel free to kiss my ass you f'ing coward. 

image.png.79fbf4cc3b8fea0e54f4ef520e5646fa.png

I can almost guarantee that the person who did it is in favor of taking down statues, changing team mascots, etc because they don’t want people to feel bad.

Irony 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6