Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

2 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

this kind of catastrophe.

Heres the TRUE catastrophe Just now getting exposed.

New York Mandates Nursing Homes Take Covid-19 Patients Discharged From Hospitals

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-mandates-nursing-homes-take-covid-19-patients-discharged-from-hospitals-11585228215

Directive from the New York Department Of Health.

Howard A. Zucker M.D., J.D.

Commissioner

...”all Nursing Homes must comply”...

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

31 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Heres the TRUE catastrophe Just now getting exposed.

Yes, probably also bad but i don't subscribe to the wall street journal.

So it's not a catastrophe in your eyes that 20+ million are out of work and many of them can't get unemployment benefits? I thought that was your whole reasoning for wanting to open the economy back up?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Yes, probably also bad but i don't subscribe to the wall street journal.

So it's not a catastrophe in your eyes that 20+ million are out of work and many of them can't get unemployment benefits? I thought that was your whole reasoning for wanting to open the economy back up?

Both are but the second one (unemployment) was a result of how we dealt with the first(spread of the disease & deaths of the compromised).

Both could have been handled much better.

Rick

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Interesting isn’t it?.  

Here’s the story by the original reporter that broke the story, Alana Goodman.  

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/police-investigating-death-of-arizona-man-from-chloroquine-phosphate/

Rick

This is a great long read on all aspects of this issue: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-confusing-uncertainty/610819/

I don't think many here will read it fully, but topics of note include:

• What we really know and don't know so far
  • How scientific methods around pandemics/epidemiology work - including research vetting and how so many papers/studies come to be part of the public domain, especially now (you'll see what became of many studies linked right here in this very thread!)
  • The lack of information that still persists overall - and how we are not considering how to define and adapt our understandings correctly
  • The dangers of making this strictly political and sharing the one-offs that support your "team" (with many examples that are also linked right here in this very thread!)
  • The fundamental problems with how the media has covered this so far and how they are not building the base understanding to cover this in depth, but reacting in the traditional short burst method we're all accustomed to.
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 2

It's been a while since we checked in on Sweden the new Model country for fighting the coronavirus according to the WHO. Interesting.

The first two charts are deaths.  The second two are cases.  All charts are on a linear scale.

On a per capita (per 1 mil), Sweden is now tracking above the US on per capita deaths.  (first chart)

It appears the US peaked around 12 days ago on new deaths per day.  (second chart)

On a per capita (per 1 mil), Sweden is quite a bit below the US, but seems to be on a parallel track.  (third chart). This is interesting given that Sweden is experiencing a higher per capita death rate.  Is the US medical system better at treatment?  Does Sweden have an older population (on average) than the US?

New cases per day in the US peaked about 22 days ago. (fourth chart).  This is consistent with the first chart as Deaths are a lagging indicator (peak 12 days ago for deaths vs peak 22 days ago for new cases).  The US messes up the resolution for the countries at the bottom of the graph, but it appears that all are trending downward.  Likewise on the deaths chart.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.30.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.32.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.34.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.34.03 AM.png

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Quoner said:

This is a great long read on all aspects of this issue: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-confusing-uncertainty/610819/

I don't think many here will read it fully, but topics of note include:

• What we really know and don't know so far
  • How scientific methods around pandemics/epidemiology work - including research vetting and how so many papers/studies come to be part of the public domain, especially now (you'll see what became of many studies linked right here in this very thread!)
  • The lack of information that still persists overall - and how we are not considering how to define and adapt our understandings correctly
  • The dangers of making this strictly political and sharing the one-offs that support your "team" (with many examples that are also linked right here in this very thread!)
  • The fundamental problems with how the media has covered this so far and how they are not building the base understanding to cover this in depth, but reacting in the traditional short burst method we're all accustomed to.

Good points. Too bad the author had to link to the Anti-Trump stories.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Preparing for the worst or rebuilding the stockpile?  It wasn't that long ago that the media was all hyped up about the federal government not being prepared.  Now they are hyped up about the federal government preparing (for something!).  Or maybe they are not telling us the truth and the evil Trump administration is engaged in some sort of nefarious activity.  

Replace Trump with Obama in the paragraph above and it applies to the same type of crap written for 8 years.  I'm old enough to remember when the Department of Homeland Security ordered 1.6 Billion rounds of ammunition. Journalism in America is dead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/2013/03/11/1-6-billion-rounds-of-ammo-for-homeland-security-its-time-for-a-national-conversation/#ce8d4f624bba

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I find it interesting that on my social media feeds, the vast majority of those calling "foul" about re-opening the economy and saying things like "we have to choose between profit and people" and "go ahead...pick which relative you want to die so we can go to a restaurant", etc. are those who are still drawing their paychecks and are working full-time and never missed a payday.

Funny how it seems to work that way, isn't it? 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

You tell me, boss. 🤷‍♂️

Capture.JPG

Who knows, but both would be the right thing to do, correct?  Prepare for the worst, plan for the best.  

The authors had an opportunity to answer that question in the article but chose not to.  They put out a catchy headline knowing most never get past that.  The article is filled with a bunch of innuendo and spin.  They could have provided the specific text that led them to the conclusions (presented as fact) such as:

"Body bag contracts bid by Homeland Security and the Veterans Affairs Department are just one illustration of how Trump's sunny confidence about the nation's readiness to reopen is in conflict with the views of officials in his own administration who are quietly preparing for a far worse outcome."

or

"The documents show that task force members remain worried about several major risks ahead, including insufficient availability of coronavirus tests, the absence of a vaccine or proven treatments for the coronavirus, and the possibility of a "catastrophic resurgence" of COVID-19."

or

The contract states that the purchase is "in response to COVID-19."  Based on the tone of the article, the reader is led to believe that something horrible is on the horizon.  Or could it be that COVID-19 has used up 60,000+ body bags and we need to replenish those.  Was "in response to COVID-19" the complete text of the contract?

My initial response/comments were not directed at you, but the article.  It's shoddy and endemic of the state of journalism.  One man's opinion.  Others may feel otherwise.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I find it interesting that on my social media feeds, the vast majority of those calling "foul" about re-opening the economy and saying things like "we have to choose between profit and people" and "go ahead...pick which relative you want to die so we can go to a restaurant", etc. are those who are still drawing their paychecks and are working full-time and never missed a payday.

Funny how it seems to work that way, isn't it? 

i'm all for opening up everything...i went to fuzzys in denton today just to have a few beers at the bar, it was glorious!  i also am still getting paid and am in no fear of not getting paid.  maybe i'm an outlier, but i'm employed, young(ish), no underlying conditions, so i have no worry about being out and about...i will and have been out everyday since this started.  i really don't see the issue for younger/no underlying condition people.  they can work and need to work.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

Crossed 65K deaths today, with nearly 2 thousand for May 1st according to worldometers.  I think the IHME model will definitely be revised above 80K in their next update (they projected over several hundred deaths lower than the actual totals practically every day this week).  Perhaps even north of 85K.  

I still think 100K in this wave is not out of the question.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1