Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

It's understanding the full article that seems to be just dangling out of your reach.

Not only did I NOT misquote anything in the original post as you accused me of doing,...I didn’t even comment on it in anywhere in the post.  

So how would you know what in fact I understand or not understand from it?  

Do you tell fortunes too?

fortune teller gypsy GIF

Rick  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

19 hours ago, CMJ said:

Maybe for us...but not for them.  Their death totals are all trending much larger than normal flu years.  WITH mitigation.  Hence why ours would also likely be much higher as well.

It's way worse than the flu in the harder hit states. The first death in the U.S. occurred on February 29th, and in 50 days there's 39,000 deaths even with a good bit of the country shutting down or practicing social distancing. New Jersey is reporting 10% of cases require hospitalization, 10 times worse than the flu. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

It's way worse than the flu in the harder hit states. The first death in the U.S. occurred on February 29th, and in 50 days there's 39,000 deaths even with a good bit of the country shutting down or practicing social distancing. New Jersey is reporting 10% of cases require hospitalization, 10 times worse than the flu. 

It's a bit of a mess, yeah. Hopefully the phased approach to opening things up helps, but there's still a need for widespread accurate testing.

I've also got concern that holding off COVID-19 may end up being rationale to take less action in preparation for the next disease wave. 

It would be like winning a football game against a tough opponent and not stopping to take a look at game tape to see what you can learn for the next time you play them.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Taiwan, which is 81 miles off the coast of China, with millions of travelers between the two, many of which are working in China,.... has(now 420) total cases and only 6 deaths.

If there was one place that should have been decimated it should have been them.

As Taiwan shows, the antidote to the virus is freedom

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/16/totalitarian-china-unleashed-virus-free-china-has-all-defeated-it/

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Ray 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Taiwan, which is 81 miles off the coast of China, with millions of travelers between the two, many of which are working in China,.... has(now 420) total cases and only 6 deaths.

If there was one place that should have been decimated it should have been them.

As Taiwan shows, the antidote to the virus is freedom

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/16/totalitarian-china-unleashed-virus-free-china-has-all-defeated-it/

Rick

Fun fact: the writer of this op-ed is now posting on Twitter for prayers because his mother has covid-19. Life comes at you fast...

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

15 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Damn, that's like 7 Benghazis. 

Damn, except this president is trying to do something to stop the deaths from the virus.

Edit:  At least this president isn’t sending out a lamb to claim the virus was the result of a YouTube video. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

Fun fact: the writer of this op-ed is now posting on Twitter for prayers because his mother has covid-19. Life comes at you fast...

Yes it does, but what does his mother have to do with Taiwan?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

That someone’s mom is suffering from an illness is funny to you?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Rick

Wow guys - props to you, Dr. Lifer and Andrew's dad for coming through with the peal clutching and victim hood in stereo, especially on the Sabbath. IS THIS MAN'S MOTHER NOT SACRED AND OFF LIMITS!?

Was there a joke made? I didn't see one, but now that I think about it, I'll have a sensible chuckle later for sure. 

I thought we had found common ground that we really don't know enough either way yet on this thing and the China data was unreliable, but magically, when the guy who wrote a bestseller during the Bush years about torture actually being extremely good pens his weekly op-ed with a stance you like in a field he doesn't know, it's clearly a checkmate in internet Covid-19 arguing chess. This isn't a real argument, this is conservatives and Trump are infallible gymnastics. Would the firefighter of 2020 even know the firefighter of 2014?

• Upvote 6
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

Wow guys - props to you, Dr. Lifer and Andrew's dad for coming through with the peal clutching and victim hood in stereo, especially on the Sabbath. IS THIS MAN'S MOTHER NOT SACRED AND OFF LIMITS!?

Was there a joke made? I didn't see one, but now that I think about it, I'll have a sensible chuckle later for sure. 

I thought we had found common ground that we really don't know enough either way yet on this thing and the China data was unreliable, but magically, when the guy who wrote a bestseller during the Bush years about torture actually being extremely good pens his weekly op-ed with a stance you like in a field he doesn't know, it's clearly a checkmate in internet Covid-19 arguing chess. This isn't a real argument, this is conservatives and Trump are infallible gymnastics. Would the firefighter of 2020 even know the firefighter of 2014?

A misread by me?  I admit your approach to humor or pointing out a fact using humor or sarcasm is tough to read some times.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Can't argue with that, allowing the U.S. to lead the world in infections and deaths is "doing something" by definition. 

Following the lead of his experts and how about looking at the numbers per capita. Your example is like saying there are more traffic accidents in Texas than Rhode Island.  And those China numbers are right on target. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

I don't mean this to be provocative, but understand that it might be.  This is a well-informed group that is pulling data from a plethora of sources, so your thoughts and insights and ability to link to references is appreciated.  This one has been nagging me a bit lately, because the consequences are potentially leading us (as a society) into some uncomfortable territory.  

We've heard, and rightfully so, to rely on science.  I absolutely agree with that.  We've also heard, and this is one of the most insidious aspects of this virus, that even asymptomatic individuals are responsible for spreading the disease.  It's been said and written so much that we have just accepted this as fact.  Here's the provocative part...what science led us to this conclusion?  Were experiments conducted (multiple test and control groups, with asymptomatic people that tested positive cooped up together with people who tested negative to determine the level of spread and was this independently repeated/verified or maybe lab animals) or is the science more based on anecdotal evidence of 1. asymptomatic people can test positive and have demonstrated that they shed the virus, 2. the virus is highly infectious, so 3. therefore asymptomatic people are just as responsible for spreading the virus as symptomatic people.  Maybe it's that the numbers they are looking at that the only thing that makes sense is asymptomatic people spread the disease.  Does anyone know the scientific basis for asymptomatic people spreading the disease?

We've received such bad data/recommendations from our experts (no evidence of person-to-person transmission, stay six feet (or more) away from other humans, masks don't help, you must wear a mask if you leave your house, etc.) that it makes it difficult to know what to believe.  I wish our journalist would ask meaningful questions.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Following the lead of his experts and how about looking at the numbers per capita. Your example is like saying there are more traffic accidents in Texas than Rhode Island.  And those China numbers are right on target. 

Per capita? Try Germany, Japan or South Korea on for size. All examples of denser countries that show what actual leadership and prevention does before allowing thousands to be infected. Speaking of comparisons between Rhode Island and Texas, we're 49th per capita in testing per our awesome governor that wants to open hair salons back up.

Even with China lying about their numbers, we're still going to probably end up with more deaths, and the virus had a 6 week head start on China before anyone was even entirely aware of it. It's weird that the same camp of people screaming to open up the economy also cry that China's numbers are fake. So which is it, a harmless bug that only affects the most vulnerable and we can all go about our daily lives with little restriction, or is it a deadly contagion that wiped out a million people over a few months time? 

Capture.JPG

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

So which is it, a harmless bug that only affects the most vulnerable and we can all go about our daily lives with little restriction, or is it a deadly contagion that wiped out a million people over a few months time? 

Something to think about re: China: the same misinformation we got from China made it to other countries, too.  S. Korea, Japan, US, etc, all got the same numbers at the same time as we did, with the same information from the WHO.

So why was our outcome such a far cry from how S. Korea handled it? and Japan? Why were they able to expeditiously get so many tested and control this, but we have not?

Poor US science/data?  Poor leadership? Maybe the difference is geographic?

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Per capita? Try Germany, Japan or South Korea on for size. All examples of denser countries that show what actual leadership and prevention does before allowing thousands to be infected. Speaking of comparisons between Rhode Island and Texas, we're 49th per capita in testing per our awesome governor that wants to open hair salons back up.

Even with China lying about their numbers, we're still going to probably end up with more deaths, and the virus had a 6 week head start on China before anyone was even entirely aware of it. It's weird that the same camp of people screaming to open up the economy also cry that China's numbers are fake. So which is it, a harmless bug that only affects the most vulnerable and we can all go about our daily lives with little restriction, or is it a deadly contagion that wiped out a million people over a few months time? 

Capture.JPG

https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/20/watch-dan-crenshaw-and-bill-maher-spar-over-trumps-response-to-the-coronavirus/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

36 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Something to think about re: China: the same misinformation we got from China made it to other countries, too.  S. Korea, Japan, US, etc, all got the same numbers at the same time as we did, with the same information from the WHO.

So why was our outcome such a far cry from how S. Korea handled it? and Japan? Why were they able to expeditiously get so many tested and control this, but we have not?

Poor US science/data?  Poor leadership? Maybe the difference is geographic?

Part of it was South Korea's ability to invade their citizens privacy even more than google or apple does ours. If you tested positive they immediately went through bank and phone data to determine where you had been, and then immediately quarantined anyone you had close contact with. They had all 31 cases completely contained when patient #31 took his dumb ass to a mega church and infected hundreds more. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1