Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

Really?  It is called both. 

https://www.healthline.com/health

Really. 

My grandmother may know it at German measles.. Textbooks call it Rubella.

We learn from textbooks.

Really.

Strange hill to die on.. defending the right to call a non-flu a Chinese "flu."

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

It will actually be a game changer to have a quick test like the flu.. but reports of it versus the manufacturing of it and getting it out are different matters. 

I hope our government will start to use existing quick tests while we are funding our own tests from private industry. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Really. 

We learn from textbooks.

Really.

eh....i teach and haven't used a textbook in years...most teachers at my school do not use textbooks anymore to teach.

question....are you pissed that someone called it a flu or used chinese/china in the name?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

I guess when I hear “Chinese flu” I think that it originated in the country of China and I don’t see how that can be racist.  I’m not thinking about people, but rather a place.

That being said, I did see tonight that the WHO prohibits viruses from being named after countries, etc.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

There is no testing at our hospital because it takes so long to get results. If they test negative for the flu and have covid symptomd, they are treated like they have it. By the time the queue clears the patient gets the results, they are already in care or at home isolated for 14 days. 

For me, this was always the logical approach to the "we don't have any tests" issue.  Doctors and nurses are pretty smart people and frequently diagnose cases without resorting to a test.  Would confirmation be better?  Absolutely, but if a patient presents with all the symptoms and/or were at risk for exposure yet test negative for this year's flu-A and flu-B strains, just assume they have the "other" flu and treat them as such.  Occam's razor.  Confirmation can come later.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Wonderful news.  The  FDA through an “Emergency Use Authorization” approved and authorized doctors to start prescribing Chloroquine Phosphate and Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate.to hospitalized teens and adults.

download

Rick

I wonder when Dr. Bright sent his request to the FDA and how much time the FDA spent drafting/reviewing/approving this response.  Glad they finally got on board.

8 hours ago, NT93 said:

I guess when I hear “Chinese flu” I think that it originated in the country of China and I don’t see how that can be racist.  I’m not thinking about people, but rather a place.

That being said, I did see tonight that the WHO prohibits viruses from being named after countries, etc.

awesome that you think only of a place and not a people. many don't. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/chinese-coronavirus-racist-attacks.html

COVID-19.
Corona Virus

this thing already has two short, simple and universally identifiable names. 

since the above article is the NYT, I'll even play into this group's weird media obsessions...if the above article paints even a remote picture of a potential reality for Americans of asian decent, tell me, what is the point of re-labeling an already well-known virus?

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

awesome that you think only of a place and not a people. many don't. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/chinese-coronavirus-racist-attacks.html

COVID-19.
Corona Virus

this thing already has two short, simple and universally identifiable names. 

since the above article is the NYT, I'll even play into this group's weird media obsessions...if the above article paints even a remote picture of a potential reality for Americans of asian decent, tell me, what is the point of re-labeling an already well-known virus?

COVID-19 is better as it identifies a specific strain of coronavirus.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

I wonder when Dr. Bright sent his request to the FDA and how much time the FDA spent drafting/reviewing/approving this response.  Glad they finally got on board.

we're administering to those already likely to recover and we've basically made that segment of the American public a clinical trial. 

I would hope that measure wouldn't just be an FDA rubber-stamp approval. 

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

agreed.

"Chinese flu" is inaccurate and puts people at risk. 

But you're admonishing a type of people (not saying Rick is, because I know he's social distancing in the best of ways...with a rod/reel) that are already pissed off that they have to put normal life on hold to help keep those at elevated risk safer.  They nod in agreement when morons like Dan Patrick tell all our elderly/immunocompromised to take one for the team.  They don't really care about putting others risk.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Really.

I simply linked a reputable medical cite that referred to “German Measles”.

Hill to die on?

That being said, this thread refreshed my memory of an issue that confused a foreign exchange student that lived with my family during the 2002-2003 school year. For some reason at many social occasions people would make German Chocolate Cake when Andreas was with us. He was from Germany and some folks thought it would be special and would say “I made this especially for you” and they seemed interested in his opinion of its taste. He often would ask me “Why do they call it German Chocolate Cake? What does this have to do with Germany?” It really annoyed him after a while but he was always gracious and never said anything to anyone else. I never bothered to find out the source of its name. Sometime later I was viewing a History of Food tv show and they said it was named after Samuel German who was an American. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But you're admonishing a type of people (not saying Rick is, because I know he's social distancing in the best of ways...with a rod/reel) that are already pissed off that they have to put normal life on hold to help keep those at elevated risk safer.  They nod in agreement when morons like Dan Patrick tell all our elderly/immunocompromised to take one for the team.  They don't really care about putting others risk.

sorry...I maybe should've been more clear. I meant it puts people at risk for assault (verbal/physical). 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

I simply linked a reputable medical cite that referred to “German Measles”.

Hill to die on?

That being said, this thread refreshed my memory of an issue that confused a foreign exchange student that lived with my family during the 2002-2003 school year. For some reason at many social occasions people would make German Chocolate Cake when Andreas was with us. He was from Germany and some folks thought it would be special and would say “I made this especially for you” and they seemed interested in his opinion of its taste. He often would ask me “Why do they call it German Chocolate Cake? What does this have to do with Germany?” It really annoyed him after a while but he was always gracious and never said anything to anyone else. I never bothered to find out the source of its name. Sometime later I was viewing a History of Food tv show and they said it was named after Samuel German who was an American. 

interesting story. 

however, I don't believe that Steve China of Snohomish, Washington was the first reported US case of COVID-19, so I'm not sure how the anecdote applies to this conversation

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

sorry...I maybe should've been more clear. I meant it puts people at risk for assault (verbal/physical). 

Oh no.  You were clear. 
But if some folks don't care enough to put others ahead of themselves regarding a pandemic virus that kills...  what makes you think those same folks give a flip that others are harassed?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, keith said:

COVID-19 is better as it identifies a specific strain of coronavirus.

COVID19 is literally derived from COrona VIrus Disease 2019

It is the name of the disease, not the virus.  Like AIDS is the name of the disease that HIV causes.

The virus itself is formally a severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2

There were 6 previously known strains of corona virus.  Being the 7th new strain, you will sometimes hear it referred to as a novel (new) virus.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh no.  You were clear. 
But if some folks don't care enough to put others ahead of themselves regarding a pandemic virus that kills...  what makes you think those same folks give a flip that others are harassed?

I guess maybe I'm not understanding your argument.

sure, obviously the biggest concern is getting every asshole out there to take proper precautions for themselves and everyone around them. I'm not saying be "PC" while sneezing on strangers. the issue we're discussing are those who are taking COVID-19 seriously but for what ever reason have changed language ostensibly to place/shift blame. 

Let's use Rick as an example (obviously)...he is someone who cares about the pandemic and it's health affects, yet he has chosen to change his own language to perpetuate language that can lead to unwarranted harassment. I don't get the point. What good comes out of it...for him, for anyone? Gettin' the libtards riled up?

if that's it, I guess I'll as ask him what the acceptable balance is...5 angry libs for every one chinaman spit on? 2 libs for every yellow slant-eye yelled at? what is it? 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I guess maybe I'm not understanding your argument.

sure, obviously the biggest concern is getting every asshole out there to take proper precautions for themselves and everyone around them. I'm not saying be "PC" while sneezing on strangers. the issue we're discussing are those who are taking COVID-19 seriously but for what ever reason have changed language ostensibly to place/shift blame. 

Let's use Rick as an example (obviously)...he is someone who cares about the pandemic and it's health affects, yet he has chosen to change his own language to perpetuate language that can lead to unwarranted harassment. I don't get the point. What good comes out of it...for him, for anyone? Gettin' the libtards riled up?

if that's it, I guess I'll as ask him what the acceptable balance is...5 angry libs for every one chinaman spit on? 2 libs for every yellow slant-eye yelled at? what is it? 

I wasn't necessarily making an argument...   more, stating an observation.      And the bolded is probably the reason for many.   

Some people can be so cold-hearted... it's sad.   

It's great to see normal people come together for each other though.  You see awesome stories of entire elementary school staffs parading around in their cars through their school neighborhoods, lifting their students' spirits; people leaving enormous tips for wait staffs; people leaving toilet paper & hand sanitizers on their porches for their delivery drivers, etc...   It's really cool to see.

Here's my take on this FWIW.

At the beginning and for quite a while as this thing was developing everyone, and let's be honest everyone, referred to it as the Wuhan virus, the China virus, the Chinese virus, the Wu flu, the Chinese flu, etc., etc., etc.  No one thought this was racist.  Then at some point someone somewhere decided that it was and if you used any of these terms from that point forward you were, by definition, a racist and inciting violence against anyone that looked Chinese.  On one side, you go from being just like everyone else one minute to being a racist the next.  If you are not a racist, being labeled one tends to piss you off.  On the other side, words, phrases and descriptive names matter greatly and it is unconscionable for these to be used if they might be perceived as hurtful or could potentially lead to harassment of any individual or group.  One side sees it as an unnecessary vilification of an entire race or an effort to place blame and the other side sees it as a factual description of where the pandemic originated.  In the end it just becomes a pointless pissing contest and a massive distraction.

I don't think anyone here would condone harassment of anyone or any group over this disease and would more likely be the ones to step in and stop it if they witnessed it happening.  Oh, and wash your hands. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

The majority of nurses are women.  It's not sexist to acknowledge that, it's just stating a statistical truth, but it would be kind of weird to spend your life consistently prefacing the word nurse with female or male/woman or man.

Who said anything about the word nurse - which is gender neutral by default. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1