Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

6 hours ago, THOR said:

no doubt on what the spanish flu is called....funny thing though, i searched for books on rubella...no best sellers on amazon and a general search on google pulled up research documents...so, i searched spanish flu on amazon...HOLY SHIT the number of books/best sellers that have that name in the title, but no one ever bitched about it being called the spanish flu..but heaven forbid someone calls this the chinese flu.  i wonder why that is?

There's no school in the world that requires your kids to have the German Measles vaccine before they can attend. Because NO ONE calls it that.

At least no one who wants to sound somewhat sane.

Do you walk around with a monocle and tophat? Twirling your cane.. taking about that ole German measles being so dangerous for children?

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
Rubella - German measles
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

More great news.  Sounds like to me the French doctors and scientists are all but ready to call the combination use of Hydroxychloroquin & Azithromycin as a cure?.

There is a link to the 29 page report within the article.

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/27/coronavirus-cure-new-results-french-study-shows-combination-hydroxychloroquine-plaquenil-azithromycin-successfully-treated-80-coronavirus-patients-significant-dr/

You needed more science classes in your life when you are willing to call 80 cases as solid proof and not anecdotal.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I do think the drug combo holds some promise (I saw a NY doctor discuss using it as a treatment as well and being heartened by results), but we're probably months away from knowing for sure.  Especially since it seems like it might bother folks with heart issues.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Chinese flu isn't even a flu.. it's absurd.

A ten second search about Type A flu finds this from the WebMD website, one of thousands that refer to the Spanish Flu.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/advanced-reading-types-of-flu-viruses

A7B6A6F0-40E3-477B-A40B-367B316A64D5.png.b11472e42a3755eea74da6c2f45ecd87.png

920777A5-C948-465F-BFD6-7936BAF6FD66.png.885821a62ee408e2c137a6ee086014e0.png

Hard to believe those bastards at WebMD are so ignorant and racist.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

34 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You needed more science classes in your life when you are willing to call 80 cases as solid proof and not anecdotal.

Besides a lack of reading comprehension you still somehow know better than an entire group of lab- working scientists in France?

Its as if your rooting for the Chinese flu to wipe out the world?.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

More great news.  Sounds like to me the French doctors and scientists are all but ready to call the combination use of Hydroxychloroquin & Azithromycin as a cure?.

There is a link to the 29 page report within the article.

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/27/coronavirus-cure-new-results-french-study-shows-combination-hydroxychloroquine-plaquenil-azithromycin-successfully-treated-80-coronavirus-patients-significant-dr/

This will likely get approved because it is likely to truely be more efficient than a placebo. But likely not much more.

Also: Be careful reading about what they don't say in the news article (but becomes clear from the actual science paper). As in that there is no comparison as pharma research would usually do. They compare it to a chinese sample that got completely different care. Also if you are assuming that only 2% of people die from it, they don't really show less death on that sample size, their primary result is that they possibly get people out 2-3 days earlier from the hospital. That is worthy of approval if it holds up. But it only serves a small margin of the overall problem

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

There's no school in the world that requires your kids to have the Spanish flu vaccine before they can attend. Because NO ONE calls it that.

At least no one who wants to sound somewhat sane.

Do you walk around with a monocle and tophat? Twirling your cane.. taking about that ole Spanish flu being so dangerous for children?

what the shit does this have to do with the cost of tea in china?  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

You mean Chinese Flu Rick

Get it right or GTFO!

Rick

No, I meant...

On 3/19/2020 at 12:33 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Some good news on the research & findings towards a cure and prevention of covid19.

The FDA and CDC hope to have a vaccine within a few weeks or less.

And I didn't see that post a week ago... But, no one believes what their telling us. Personally, I don't blame them for lying because of the panic that will occur. Plus, they (CDC) know where their directives come from and who they have to protect if they want to keep their jobs.

2 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

"Chinese flu" 

You know what you are doing.. 

Completely stupid. Get over the PC. Once again no one had problems early on when CNN called it the Chinese Flu, but God forbid Trump uses it so then the never Trumpers go wild

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

26 minutes ago, outoftown said:

This will likely get approved because it is likely to truely be more efficient than a placebo. But likely not much more.

Also: Be careful reading about what they don't say in the news article (but becomes clear from the actual science paper). As in that there is no comparison as pharma research would usually do. They compare it to a chinese sample that got completely different care. Also if you are assuming that only 2% of people die from it, they don't really show less death on that sample size, their primary result is that they possibly get people out 2-3 days earlier from the hospital. That is worthy of approval if it holds up. But it only serves a small margin of the overall problem

Agree. If it simply limits the duration of the virus shedding from an average of 2/3 weeks to a few days or less would be a massive gain.

Also I noticed per the Worlometer today that France has realized a near 20 percent recovery rate.

Had that percentage held in the U.S.  we’d have over 24,000 over it by now.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Completely stupid. Get over the PC. Once again no one had problems early on when CNN called it the Chinese Flu, but God forbid Trump uses it so then the never Trumpers go wild

Technically I believe they called it the Wuhan Coronavirus.  So did the WHO initially until China complained.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

29 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Agree. If it simply limits the duration of the virus shedding from an average of 2/3 weeks to a few days or less would be a massive gain.

Also I noticed per the Worlometer today that France has realized a near 20 percent recovery rate.

Had that percentage held in the U.S.  we’d have over 24,000 over it by now.

Rick

Yeah, but looks like the difference is more like from12 to 9 days. As i said, -if it holds- that is obviously worthy of approval, but it will only solve a small part of the problem.

If there is really hope in current medical news, to me it primarily comes from the immune tests that are about to come online. That won't solve the problem quickly, but it will at least be very helpful at understanding the problem and where things are at, but more importantly it will really help fighting development of any second waves.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

You mean Chinese Flu Rick

Get it right or GTFO!

Rick

58l9Xv5.jpg

The coroner? Ah, I'm so sick of that guy!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

From one of the nation's hot-spots where we have been dealing with this directly for a couple more weeks than other parts of the country there is a bit of encouraging news.  Patient 0, the lawyer from New Rochelle (the Lawyer-flu?  Hahaha), who was very ill, has recovered and is back home.  Cuomo seemed a bit less pessimistic today.  He started talking about the numbers of people being released from the hospital after recovering.  Also mentioned that the doubling rate of new hospitalizations is slowing.  It was doubling every 3-4 days, now doubling every 6 days.  He is also now hedging his bets on the need for the emergency hospital setup in the Javits Center.  Language has changed to *if* we need those beds, it's good to be prepared.  Certainly not out of the woods yet and people are still getting infected and dying which is horrible, but the tone of the news conference today was just a bit more encouraging than it has been the last couple of weeks,

Personal opinion, I do think the chloroquine/Z-pack combo is very promising.  Just too many reports coming out about people who were very ill recovering after starting it as a therapy.  France has reported good results too.  I was following this early on and wondered why China was treating cases with a malaria drug.  They were also reportedly using some HIV drugs as treatment.

Be safe everyone.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  We'll get through this with clean planes, public spaces and a lot better personal hygiene all around (good things).  

• Thanks 2

Also, and I'm preaching to the choir here as I've found the Mean Green Nation one of the most informed (and passionate) communities on the Internet, but take news reports and certainly tweets from politicians with a healthy dose of skepticism.  First-hand experience or trusted source (if possible) is better in these types of situations, sadly.  

As an example, we keep hearing about the lack of testing.  Hopefully everyone is aware of the colossal screw up by the CDC early-on, but this has been largely rectified as restrictions on private lab testing have been removed.  However, there is a certain Senator up here that keeps tweeting that we don't have any tests.  One of my good friends kept repeating this mantra.  That was until....

He learned that someone in his 50-story NYC office building had tested positive.  He exhibited no symptoms, but with a new baby at home, his wife insisted he get tested.  Basically he fell into the category of the "worried well" and really should not be getting a test because supplies were so low.  He called his doctor and 30 minutes later was getting his test in Danbury.  He pledged to no longer complain about the lack of testing capacity.

I'm sure there are pockets where things may be different, but this is a simple example of someone who was absolutely convinced it was impossible to get a test until he was able to get one just by asking.  Results were negative BTW.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Rubella is the German Measles.  I have never heard any complaints about that name. 

That's funny, I was just coming back her to correct my bad. 

Point is the same, no one calls them the German Measles. It is Rubella. No pediatrician is getting the toddlers on a vaccine schedule for the German Measles. 

In fact, the Spanish Flu is most likely the American Flu.. history.com tells me the first case was in Kansas at a military base, then it spread to Europe. 

But calling a non-flu a flu and then labeling it with a race is pretty doltish. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Also, and I'm preaching to the choir here as I've found the Mean Green Nation one of the most informed (and passionate) communities on the Internet, but take news reports and certainly tweets from politicians with a healthy dose of skepticism.  First-hand experience or trusted source (if possible) is better in these types of situations, sadly.  

As an example, we keep hearing about the lack of testing.  Hopefully everyone is aware of the colossal screw up by the CDC early-on, but this has been largely rectified as restrictions on private lab testing have been removed.  However, there is a certain Senator up here that keeps tweeting that we don't have any tests.  One of my good friends kept repeating this mantra.  That was until....

He learned that someone in his 50-story NYC office building had tested positive.  He exhibited no symptoms, but with a new baby at home, his wife insisted he get tested.  Basically he fell into the category of the "worried well" and really should not be getting a test because supplies were so low.  He called his doctor and 30 minutes later was getting his test in Danbury.  He pledged to no longer complain about the lack of testing capacity.

I'm sure there are pockets where things may be different, but this is a simple example of someone who was absolutely convinced it was impossible to get a test until he was able to get one just by asking.  Results were negative BTW.

There is no testing at our hospital because it takes so long to get results. If they test negative for the flu and have covid symptomd, they are treated like they have it. By the time the queue clears the patient gets the results, they are already in care or at home isolated for 14 days. 

On top of this, a postive result is 99% accurate. A negative has roughly 40% miss.. meaning if the doctor really suspects it still and symptoms have not subsided,  they need to do another test. That sucks.. so hospitals are only sending of tests to labs for very certain criteria.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

More positive news,

Abbott Launches 5-Minute Virus Test for Use Almost Anywhere

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-27/abbott-launches-5-minute-covid-19-test-for-use-almost-anywhere?__twitter_impression=true

The medical-device maker plans to supply 50,000 tests a day starting April 1,....

Rick

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

That's funny, I was just coming back her to correct my bad. 

Point is the same, no one calls them the German Measles. It is Rubella. No pediatrician is getting the toddlers on a vaccine schedule for the German Measles. 

In fact, the Spanish Flu is most likely the American Flu.. history.com tells me the first case was in Kansas at a military base, then it spread to Europe. 

But calling a non-flu a flu and then labeling it with a race is pretty doltish. 

Well, there is some question on where exactly the Spanish Flu originated.  A lot of evidence points to Kansas, but some scientists believe it may have started in China as well.

Edited by CMJ