Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

That’s not what the article is claiming.  Key word=“may”

“may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate ofapproximately 0.1%)” 

Of course it is the New England Journal of Medicine.  What do those idiots over there know, right?

Rick

The number they are working with IS with taking these drastic actions. That is my point. So with the numbers they are using and then given their assumption... it MAY end up as a severe seasonal flu.  That isn't hard to read. I am not claiming their "MAYBE" hypothetical report is wrong... but it doesn't really say anything different. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Mortality rates seem like a good talking point for the individually infected, but we are talking about a community/population that has zero herd immunity.  A small percentage of people will die directly because of the infection, but expect a significantly large number of people that die due to lack of medical care (that could have survived with medical care).

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

No.

Here is an article about the 1918 flu vs the coronavirus

https://www.popsci.com/story/health/coronavirus-1918-flu-pandemic/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email

Here is one about one of the few communities that avoided any deaths in the 1918 pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/01/gunnison-colorado-the-town-that-dodged-the-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

Italy lost over 900 people for the day from the coronavirus.  I assume that is not normal of a typical flu season.

Like "military trucks to transport the dead to the temporary morgue" seasonal flu.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

The article mentions Philadelphia going through with a War Bonds Parade a few days after the flu hit the city. 

In early February  Oxiris Barbot M.D. the NYC commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene, encouraged  the public to attend the Lunar New Year Parade. On Feb 9 she tweeted additional encouragement. Despite a case of Corona Virus in the city the parade went on.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/despite-coronavirus-fears-annual-chinatown-lunar-new-year-parade-to-go-on-as-planned/ar-BBZzFZe

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Mortality rates seem like a good talking point for the individually infected, but we are talking about a community/population that has zero herd immunity.  A small percentage of people will die directly because of the infection, but expect a significantly large number of people that die due to lack of medical care (that could have survived with medical care).

Right. There are ripple effects to overloaded hospitals and hospital staff. Every case of COVID-19 that overloads an ICU is another medical emergency that can't be attended to.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Our nation’s innovative response to a crisis always amazes me

How LSU researchers, hospital leaders created a new coronavirus test lab in a week

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/coronavirus/article_f24e3944-6fb3-11ea-84db-5fd8c3e55db7.html

Over the weekend — just five days ago — the LSU professors and a team of graduate students were working around the clock, trying to prove to federal regulators that they had the ability to run rapid testing for coronavirus samples. They received their federal license Monday, thanks to a fast-tracking process.

By Thursday, the lab was running tests for under 100 patients a day, O’Neal said. As the lab ramps up, it should be able run twice that many — two runs a day for 95 or so patients each....

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

3CFEEBBE-F3DA-4888-BDFF-3A6C41D89898.jpeg.0b12fd96a716e479d2ef00cc9a99787b.jpeg

https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/coronavirus-and-the-sun-a-lesson-from-the-1918-influenza-pandemic-509151dc8065

Rick

I found this article a couple of weeks ago.  It also aligned with something that I read in a book on California in WWI a couple of years ago.  The Mexican American community seemed to perform better through the crisis and they postulated it might have been because they had more outdoor markets and stuff and weren't as cramped inside together like European Americans.

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

I found this article a couple of weeks ago.  It also aligned with something that I read in a book on California in WWI a couple of years ago.  The Mexican American community seemed to perform better through the crisis and they postulated it might have been because they had more outdoor markets and stuff and weren't as cramped inside together like European Americans.

What was the time it took to travel back from Europe on a ship back then you think?  

Had to of been horrible.

Rick

• Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

What was the time it took to travel back from Europe on a ship back then you think?  

Had to of been horrible.

Rick

I think it averaged 9-10 days or so.  The crossing took slightly longer because of the zig zagging patterns they did to avoid the German submarines (at least until the war ended).  I think if not accounting for those you could cut a day off.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Thought I would see my first case of Chinese flu yesterday but it turned out to be a stomach issue.

Nothing much else going on.  As many people who are staying home from work I’m surprised how many people are on the road driving in to work.

Rick

And you keep asking people to keep politics out of this... For the love.. good... god.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

This was posted by someone I know in NY on a movie messageboard I read.  I cut out some of the beginning and ending which he addresses particular people, things board specific, etc. - but here was the jist.

I can't believe there are still those who would bring up yearly flu numbers or talk about H1N1 Swine flu deaths. There is simply no comparison to this in modern times that we are seeing on a global scale.

I'm a New Yorker here, out on Long Island, in Suffolk County, and I work for one of it's biggest hospitals, Stony Brook - though I do not work in the hospital location, itself, but a few miles away, where are the hospital's outpatient clinics are located - though I am in a building that doesn't see patients - my department is Medical Records for the hospital.

Anyway, the main branch of our Medical Records is, of course, at the hospital site, itself, and we have communication with all the staff over there, our colleagues, all the time, as we receive the medical records from them every day from transport couriers where we then scan the paper records (which is the heart of my division of Medical Records' responsibility) and we are deemed essential health care workers as we facilitate patient care by getting patients' records on to the system where they can be quickly viewed by doctors and nurses.

Anyway, two of my colleagues in my department who work at the hospital have now come down with Corona and one of them has asthma and is struggling right now. Anyway, my hospital is like a war-zone right now. It is unimaginable how overwhelmed we are. How many cases. We have just had to have our Cancer Center which is adjacent to the main hospital converted to another hospital building to treat patients of corona and all patients who need cancer treatment will now have to travel all the way out east to the Hamptons to get their treatment at one of the hospitals there we are affiliated with.

What we are dealing with is unprecedented. Our hospitals here are getting overwhelmed. We will also be using our empty dormitories soon at the local campus (as we are a college/university medical center). With so many new patients everyday, we are beyond the saturation level. My father is a custodian/janitor for one of our other local hospitals right now, and even though he is nearly 70 years old, he has hardly had a day off in nearly 2 weeks, even though he really should be staying home, right now, custodians who clean hospital areas are needed more than ever right now, as all our healthcare workers, of course, so each day he dons masks and other protective gear and risks his life and I fear greatly for him.

No seasonal flu could cause this. 'This was no boating accident! And it wasn't a barracuda or maura eel, either!' We really are in the virus version of the movie, 'Jaws' right now, on an epic level

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

More great news.  Sounds like to me the French doctors and scientists are all but ready to call the combination use of Hydroxychloroquin & Azithromycin as a cure?.

There is a link to the 29 page report within the article.

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/27/coronavirus-cure-new-results-french-study-shows-combination-hydroxychloroquine-plaquenil-azithromycin-successfully-treated-80-coronavirus-patients-significant-dr/

In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, the team found a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74-year old patient still in intensive care unit. The team also found that, by administering hydroxychloroquine combined with azithromycin, they were able to observe an improvement in all cases, except in one patient who arrived with an advanced form, who was over the age of 86, and in whom the evolution was irreversible, according to a new paper published today in IHU Méditerranée Infection.

“For all other patients in the cohort of 80 people, the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin resulted in a clinical improvement that appeared significant when compared to the natural evolution in patients with a definite outcome, as described in the literature. In a cohort of 191 Chinese inpatients, of whom 95% received antibiotics and 21% received an association of lopinavir and ritonavir, the median duration of fever was 12 days and that of cough 19 days in survivors, with a 28% case-fatality rate (18),” the research team said.

The team went on to say: “Thus, in addition to its direct therapeutic role, this association can play a role in controlling the disease epidemic by limiting the duration of virus shedding, which can last for several weeks in the absence of specific treatment. In our Institute, which contains 75 individual rooms for treating highly contagious patients, we currently have a turnover rate of 1/3 which allows us to receive a large number of these contagious patients with early discharge. Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are extremely well-known drugs which have already been prescribed to billions of people.”

In conclusion, we confirm the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine associated with azithromycin in the treatment of COVID-19 and its potential effectiveness in the early impairment of contagiousness. Given the urgent therapeutic need to manage this disease with effective and safe drugs and given the negligible cost of both hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, we believe that other teams should urgently evaluate this therapeutic strategy both to avoid the spread of the disease and to treat patients before severe irreversible respiratory complications take hold,” the team concluded.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

WTF are you talking about?

Rick

probably because you called it the chinese flu....people think that's racist...people are dumb and looking to get offended...spanish flu, acceptable.  lou gehrigs disease, acceptable, but that would suck to have a disease named after you.  in todays society, it is frowned upon to use any type of specific regional/country/racial/sexual tag on something that's bad.  again, some people love to get offended and to let others know aobut it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, THOR said:

probably because you called it the chinese flu....people think that's racist...people are dumb and looking to get offended...spanish flu, acceptable.  lou gehrigs disease, acceptable, but that would suck to have a disease named after you.  in todays society, it is frowned upon to use any type of specific regional/country/racial/sexual tag on something that's bad.  again, some people love to get offended and to let others know aobut it.

Oh ok.  Thank you.

Good Grief, how sad to walk through life so sensitive.

Rick

8 minutes ago, THOR said:

Spanish flu is called rubella. 

Corona virus is a known virus and this is a different strain. No one outside of one political side is calling it a Chinese flu ... That is political in nature.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Corona virus is a known virus and this is a different strain. No one outside of one political side is calling it a Chinese flu ... That is political in nature.

Your the same person that shits her pants over the sight or thought of a gun.

Do yourself a favor.  When you can and when you come out of that fetal position your in you might want to place me on ignore so you don’t have to see my posts.

Rick

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

no doubt on what the spanish flu is called....funny thing though, i searched for books on rubella...no best sellers on amazon and a general search on google pulled up research documents...so, i searched spanish flu on amazon...HOLY SHIT the number of books/best sellers that have that name in the title, but no one ever bitched about it being called the spanish flu..but heaven forbid someone calls this the chinese flu.  i wonder why that is?

• Upvote 2

It's like you are walking about proving how stupid you can be, just because you can.

For what it's worth, your Oriental not-the-flu Virus has GI signs at first. You may have seen your first case after all.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3