Has the Corona Virus infected anyone you know?

I flew out to visit my oldest daughter who works in park city. We skied today but they are closing all the resorts tomorrow. Not the end of the world but impacted a lot of people. My niece was on the Semester at Sea program. She is getting off at Cape Town this weekend. 

• Thanks 2

I've got a cousin that works in respiratory medicine in Singapore. While they seem to have things contained there thanks to  a fast, centralized response, they're still looking at a PPE sshortage. She's ok but is worried that the CDC cut in 2018 and slow response this year is really gonna cost us.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Nope

Edit: 😂😂. Looks like someone...or two..hoping I catch the Coronavirus! 😂😂😂. Sorry to disappoint both of them! 😂😂😂

Edited by KRAM1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

A guy I know in France posted this an hour ago.

Waited 2 hours for an ambulance to take me to the hospital VERY early this morning, was taken care of by ultra competent doctors but the situation in Paris is an absolute DISASTER already.They just don't test you anymore... Too many cases and not a single hospital bed left. I saw it with my own eyes for 8 hours in a row at the ER...

A LOT of Parisians just don't want to take that seriously. In a few days it will be too late. This is going to be worse than Italy.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

We are not prepared for this.  I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, unfortunately.

On a good day, our hospitals are close to max and likely understaffed. Between that and major screwups in test availability and procedure, plus folks going out in large groups due to bad top level leadership, we might be in for a mess. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

I just got back from Germany yesterday. We were freaked out on Thursday morning after the travel restrictions were announced. It took 12 hours for Delta to call me back to change my flight. However, that didn't happen because of the fees to change airports was ridiculous.

Our flight from Dusseldorf, Germany to Atlanta was maybe 40-50% full. When we arrived in Atlanta, the CDC boarded our plane and gave us a survey. After we filled it out, they gave me a PowerPoint that recommended I stay home for 2 weeks if I feel sick. After that we went through customs, and were on our way to DFW. People are freaked out more in the DFW area than Germany. 

• Upvote 5

Our lives have been affected in two ways.   (1) Five of us were scheduled to leave on a trip to The Dominican Republic last Saturday.   Three of us are older than 70 and two of us are younger than 55.   We all checked with our health care professionals about the trip.   The ones over 70 were advised to not go while the younger ones were told to go and have a good time.      I would love to be on a beach drinking a pina colada BUT.....     (2) Our church service today was live streamed with no audience allowed in the sanctuary.    I watched the service from my recliner while drinking  cup of coffee and eating a donut.   It may be tough to get me back to a regular service if we continue to do that.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Huff said:

Our lives have been affected in two ways.   (1) Five of us were scheduled to leave on a trip to The Dominican Republic last Saturday.   Three of us are older than 70 and two of us are younger than 55.   We all checked with our health care professionals about the trip.   The ones over 70 were advised to not go while the younger ones were told to go and have a good time.      I would love to be on a beach drinking a pina colada BUT.....     (2) Our church service today was live streamed with no audience allowed in the sanctuary.    I watched the service from my recliner while drinking  cup of coffee and eating a donut.   It may be tough to get me back to a regular service if we continue to do that.  

It just means it's easier for you to hear god's word when your feet are up. 

• Upvote 3

No, nor have I made contact with a patient that is known to be infected.  

I work within a 7.5 million person metro area, the 4th largest in the nation so I’m sure that will change at some point?

Last night for there to be so many warnings to stay home there were a crap ton of people out and about,...especially it being a Sunday night full of thunder storms.  We spent most of the night running EMS calls and for fires due to lightening strikes and car wrecks on the highway.  At 11 pm last night there were thousands of people on the highways.  I’m guessing between 8 pm and 6am we spent 3 hours on the freeways alone.

How about some good news?  I’ve been searching for news anywhere that gives us a count of people who have survived Covid19.  Lots of info on infections but very little on survivors.  

Heres a source that’s pretty interesting and their numbers seem accurate.  Theres interesting updates with sources listed at the bottom.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#italian-media

The numbers are updated at midnight.  You can see the count by each country that is affected.  .

Some things that most caught my interest:

77,868 people have survived.  

Saturday the U.S. had 351 new cases.  Sunday that number reduced to 122.

Yesterday Italy reported zero new cases.  That would be huge for them if that can continue.

Theres been few if any deaths in children that I can tell, 15 years of age and below. 

If you find something interesting on the site please share.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

No, nor have I made contact with a patient that is known to be infected.  

I work within a 7.5 million person metro area, the 4th largest in the nation so I’m sure that will change at some point?

Last night for there to be so many warnings to stay home there were a crap ton of people out and about,...especially it being a Sunday night full of thunder storms.  We spent most of the night running EMS calls and for fires due to lightening strikes and car wrecks on the highway.  At 11 pm last night there were thousands of people on the highways.  I’m guessing between 8 pm and 6am we spent 3 hours on the freeways alone.

How about some good news?  I’ve been searching for news anywhere that gives us a count of people who have survived Covid19.  Lots of info on infections but very little on survivors.  

Heres a source that’s pretty interesting and their numbers seem accurate.  Theres interesting updates with sources listed at the bottom.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#italian-media

The numbers are updated at midnight.  You can see the count by each country that is affected.  .

Some things that most caught my interest:

77,868 people have survived.  

Saturday the U.S. had 351 new cases.  Sunday that number reduced to 122.

Yesterday Italy reported zero new cases.  That would be huge for them if that can continue.

Theres been few if any deaths in children that I can tell, 15 years of age and below. 

If you find something interesting on the site please share.

Rick

Italy and France updated around this time yesterday, so I suspect their numbers just haven't come in yet.

It is a great source though - I've been using it almost exclusively for the last two weeks.

EDIT: And Italy just updated with another spike.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

Italy and France updated around this time yesterday, so I suspect their numbers just haven't come in yet.

It is a great source though - I've been using it almost exclusively for the last two weeks.

I just saw that,..3233 new cases.  

Rick

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CMJ said:

I worry about US reporting not being accurate for a bit longer until tests make it out. I wish the WH accepted the WHO tests.

Edit: some containment in China and SK is a good sign. Hopefully this isn't a bug someone can catch again, though.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, meangreendork said:

I wish the WH accepted the WHO tests.

I wish you’d quit bitching about Trump. You did your best in the basketball threads too to bitch.

The man has tried to close our borders for over three years and got nothing but negative criticisms.  Then he was ahead of everyone state side in shutting down travel to China,..again, nothing but negative criticism.

The guy has plenty of room for criticism but protecting American interests from the flu ain’t one of them.  

If you want to bitch about Trump please start a separate thread on it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

52 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I wish you’d quit bitching about Trump. You did your best in the basketball threads too to bitch.

The man has tried to close our borders for over three years and got nothing but negative criticisms.  Then he was ahead of everyone state side in shutting down travel to China,..again, nothing but negative criticism.

The guy has plenty of room for criticism but protecting American interests from the flu ain’t one of them.  

If you want to bitch about Trump please start a separate thread on it.

Rick

Yeah, that's fair enough. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I live in Switzerland. I have several cases that are 2 degrees separated from me, and several people who are those one degrees in between who have flu symptoms (all young folks). Also know different people who got quarantined, including international friends who live in NYC.

Additionally I got a friend who has an MD and is a psychiatrist in Rome. I talked to her on the phone this weekend. Was an enlightening conversation.Essentially a look several days to a few weeks into the future, depending on where you live.

In my life I have been employed by 3 different hospitals both in the US and in Europe, all of which have now had double digit cases, one of them probably triple digits.

The speed at which everything is going to warlike conditions here is incredible. Swiss military just decided to activate all the reserves who have a medical role in the army but not in civil live.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

One important thing that came out of italy and has also been seen here recently and communicated by the local hospital website:

Even young folks can have complications and it seems when that happens there is often a major role for that with people having taken usually common anti-inflamatories such as Ibuprofen (Advil etc) and Aspirin to treat flu symptoms etc. This seems to cause some unfortunate interaction with the COVID-19 virus and the way it attacks the autoimmune system. The advice is, that unless you got something chronic, you should stay away from these products and -if possible- instead use things such as paracetamol.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

...common anti-inflamatories such as Ibuprofen (Advil etc) and Aspirin...

...instead use things such as paracetamol.

Does that include acetaminophen?

What is paracetamol?