2020-2021 Season Expectations

BillySee58

Welcome to the offseason. Want to hear some opinions on next season, for those who want a break from COVID-19 talk. What are you hoping to see when the schedule is released?

As far as the roster, we have two scholarships left for next season as of now. How would you like them spent?

Projected 2020-2021 Roster

C - SR Zach Simmons

F - SR Thomas Bell

G - SR James Reese

G - JR Umoja Gibson

G - SR Javion Hamlet

Bench:

G - SO Jalen Jackson 

G - SO Larry Wise

G - FR Rubin Jones

F - SR Abdul Mohamed

F - SR Jahmiah Simmons

C - SO Shakeem Alcindor

Looking at the bench we have a glaring lack of proven scorers, or just rotation options in general. Definitely need some quality size, but probably need another quality scoring guard as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My two requests would be:

1.  An athletic big to replace Deng.

2.  A scorer off the bench that has the range and accuracy to replace DJ, but with the ability to score taking it to the hole if needed.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

Don’t discount what Jackson and Wise will bring to the table.  Jackson may be the best on ball defender and I think Wise can provide 10 points a night. Rubin Jones looks like a shooter as well.  

My hope would be for a stretch 4 who can rebound and knock down 15-18 footers, and then a guard who is 6’5” or better with an ability to get to the rim (or the line if that doesn’t work).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Don’t discount what Jackson and Wise will bring to the table.  Jackson may be the best on ball defender and I think Wise can provide 10 points a night. Rubin Jones looks like a shooter as well.  

My hope would be for a stretch 4 who can rebound and knock down 15-18 footers, and then a guard who is 6’5” or better with an ability to get to the rim (or the line if that doesn’t work).

With Wise it all comes down to shooting. If he can hit from the outside with some measure of consistency, he definitely has the skill set to see plenty of time on the court.

• Downvote 1

@BillySee58 after watching Macs video, it dawned on me that this NCAA cancellation really dampens the positive momentum a postseason appearance would have established in recruiting.

i don’t think it complete negates the successes we enjoyed but, man! a TV appearance - especially with an upset or strong showing - creates an extra buzz about the program that we are now not gonna get.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I hope they make a 1 year exception to eligibility and the scholarship limit. It’s really the right thing to do.

I don't disagree but I anticipate a huge can of worms being opened.

This sentiment is only coming up because of the postseason.  So are we suggesting it only for teams that were potentially in the postseason?  Do teams that were not in contention get this exception too? Why not?  If we make some kind of waiver or exception to scholly limits for ONLY the postseason teams, how does that affect competition next near when we face a team that does not get the exception?

• Upvote 1

At least one site has pretty lofty expectations for the 20-21 Mean Green...

TEAM PROJECTIONS

• #47 overall
  • #1 CUSA
  • #5 Mid Majors

Additionally, the site is very high on Hamlet next season...

PLAYER PROJECTIONS

• #2 overall

Obviously, these metrics can't factor in transfer/coaching changes/recruits, etc.  Regardless, the returning production and experience coupled with the motivation to land the NCAA tournament experience they felt they earned this season makes it exciting to anticipate what could be next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

At least one site has pretty lofty expectations for the 20-21 Mean Green...

TEAM PROJECTIONS

• #47 overall
  • #1 CUSA
  • #5 Mid Majors

Additionally, the site is very high on Hamlet next season...

PLAYER PROJECTIONS

• #2 overall

Obviously, these metrics can't factor in transfer/coaching changes/recruits, etc.  Regardless, the returning production and experience coupled with the motivation to land the NCAA tournament experience they felt they earned this season makes it exciting to anticipate what could be next year.

Wow. I hope we really improve our bench yet I also hope Hamlet’s minutes go up. He can handle more than 30 minutes a game. Senior season, let him eat.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Wow. I hope we really improve our bench yet I also hope Hamlet’s minutes go up. He can handle more than 30 minutes a game. Senior season, let him eat.

I know he’s gonna be determined to win the whole thing, so I hope the rest of the C-USA is ready 😂

Also, do you think they land a Grad Transfer or Juco guy? Maybe 2?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I know he’s gonna be determined to win the whole thing, 

This is what excites me about next year. Hamlet is a leader and refused to let us lose at La Tech and at home against WKU. He will push this team to new levels. A leader with his personality and ability is something we haven’t seen in a long time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1