Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

CUSA TOURNEY JUST CANCELLED


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Most of the people upset about this who are calling it an overreaction probably won’t change their minds until it hits close enough to home for them. Or until it has reached high enough confirmed infection/death numbers to where they can’t keep posting the same meme comparing COVID-19 numbers to flu numbers.

Hopefully by taking precautions like this these people can still look back in a few months and think they were right about calling these actions overreactionary. But in reality these measures may be the reason we can prevent it from getting to the point it is in over in Italy.

Meh, it’s a bit of both. Both extremes are silly. COVID-19 is much more lethal than the usual seasonal flu, but the ‘cancel everything so it looks like are are doing something’ is also silly.

It looks like you mostly catch this disease from breathing, unless you’re planning on stopping that you are kind of hosed. We really can’t shut down everything everywhere for months or years until a vaccine is tested and ready. 

COVID-19 will likely get worse in terms of death totals. It’s scary because it’s so new, but it’s possible that this could end up killing less people than other causes of death this year. Much as in a wilderness survival situation panic kills more than the elements, even if the elements claim their share. Obviously if you are personally affected it feels worse, much like a highway fatality is worse if you know the dead than it is for those just stuck in traffic. 

Don't freak out and fight over TP, stay away from others as much as practical if you’re ill and stay away from both extremes (sky is falling and nothing is happening).

  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Meh, it’s a bit of both. Both extremes are silly. COVID-19 is much more lethal than the usual seasonal flu, but the ‘cancel everything so it looks like are are doing something’ is also silly.

It looks like you mostly catch this disease from breathing, unless you’re planning on stopping that you are kind of hosed. We really can’t shut down everything everywhere for months or years until a vaccine is tested and ready. 

COVID-19 will likely get worse in terms of death totals. It’s scary because it’s so new, but it’s possible that this could end up killing less people than other causes of death this year. Much as in a wilderness survival situation panic kills more than the elements, even if the elements claim their share. Obviously if you are personally affected it feels worse, much like a highway fatality is worse if you know the dead than it is for those just stuck in traffic. 

Don't freak out and fight over TP, stay away from others as much as practical if you’re ill and stay away from both extremes (sky is falling and nothing is happening).

Do we really know? Do you trust the number from China? Seems like this might have been around for a lot longer than they are saying. This whole thing sucks. A lot of this impact would have been lessened f China did not hide the information.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Do we really know? Do you trust the number from China? Seems like this might have been around for a lot longer than they are saying. This whole thing sucks. A lot of this impact would have been lessened f China did not hide the information.

Mortality outside of China has shown to be fairly consistent so far. I wouldn’t bet against China obfuscating the truth, but genetic studies of the virus suggest this version is a natural mutation that occurred in October or November last year.

China being a lying authoritarian regime probably didn’t help, but this disease appears to be pretty infectious so it’s also likely that wouldn’t have mattered much anyway.

I highly recommend listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Michael Osterholm. 

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Meh, it’s a bit of both. Both extremes are silly. COVID-19 is much more lethal than the usual seasonal flu, but the ‘cancel everything so it looks like are are doing something’ is also silly.

It looks like you mostly catch this disease from breathing, unless you’re planning on stopping that you are kind of hosed.

This makes it sound like just breathing any air can make you catch it. Still have to be within infection range of 10-15 feet or so of someone who has it. Which is why mass public gatherings are being cancelled.

9 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

We really can’t shut down everything everywhere for months or years until a vaccine is tested and ready. 

COVID-19 will likely get worse in terms of death totals. It’s scary because it’s so new, but it’s possible that this could end up killing less people than other causes of death this year. Much as in a wilderness survival situation panic kills more than the elements, even if the elements claim their share. Obviously if you are personally affected it feels worse, much like a highway fatality is worse if you know the dead than it is for those just stuck in traffic. 

Don't freak out and fight over TP, stay away from others as much as practical if you’re ill and stay away from both extremes (sky is falling and nothing is happening).

I agree on most of this. I think the WHO has subscribed to this belief as well as reading between the lines from over a month ago they have been suggesting this would happen for a while now but have been careful about their wording to avoid mass panic.

Be smart, do your part, take it seriously without massively panicking, and hopefully we can nip it in the bud societally.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

how dangerous or not dangerous it is aside....the rapid spreading is causing the issues, fear, economic reaction, etc (again, we can argue if "what" is spreading is dangerous to the majority of people) but this really is the only way to slow/stop it....

 

Agreed

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This makes it sound like just breathing any air can make you catch it. Still have to be within infection range of 10-15 feet or so of someone who has it. Which is why mass public gatherings are being cancelled.

I agree on most of this. I think the WHO has subscribed to this belief as well as reading between the lines from over a month ago they have been suggesting this would happen for a while now but have been careful about their wording to avoid mass panic.

Be smart, do your part, take it seriously without massively panicking, and hopefully we can nip it in the bud societally.

Yes proximity to an infectious person and breathing in the virus can make you catch it. Having sporting events with no or very limited spectators is a reasonable precaution. This is mostly transmitted through breathing it in, not as much from touching your face.

Agreed on authorities (here and abroad) trying to strike the right balance in messaging to prepare people without causing a panic. Not an easy balance to achieve of course and once panic starts it’s probably more infectious than COVID-19.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it just typical UNT luck, that the season when NT really might go to the tournament, the season where softball is gonna be ranked is the moment everything gets cancelled. Why couldn't this happen when NT was in the middle of the last football season ? Arrrrrggggggg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The Topper Flopper speaks 😂

6253AFDE-8A11-4AF3-9ADE-0B50EE91CBC2.jpeg

Did you guys see any pictures of our guys hoisting the C-USA tournament trophy?    What is he talking about?  

I just saw us hoisting the one this dude lost on his own.

I hope Javion claps back!   Something tells me he isn't 'scared to play' anyone.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Did you guys see any pictures of our guys hoisting the C-USA tournament trophy?    What is he talking about?  

I just saw us hoisting the one this dude lost on his own.

I hope Javion claps back!   Something tells me he isn't 'scared to play' anyone.

Rose did and James 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.