NCAA To Limit Tournament Attendance

BillySee58

56 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Chinese, Italians, the elderly... No big deal. But now, the coronavirus has finally killed something that matters: The NCAA Tournament. 

Not cool, coronavirus. Not cool at all. 

😁 I mean I am not trying to minimize the virus as it is very deadly to the elderly, but I'd say if we more or less isolate older people for the next two months that it'll more than likely burn itself out among the young healthy population (where few, if any will die).

So, just don't go visit Grandma until the summer and I think we'd be fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

I also think the media is blowing this out of proportion as usual. The sky isn't falling. The only thing that will deter the media is a baby panda bear being born. 

Anyway, USWNT is playing at Toyota Stadium tonight in Frisco. Hopefully CUSA follows their lead at the Star.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

56 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I also think the media is blowing this out of proportion as usual. The sky isn't falling. The only thing that will deter the media is a baby panda bear being born. 

Anyway, USWNT is playing at Toyota Stadium tonight in Frisco. Hopefully CUSA follows their lead at the Star.

It is actually extremely deadly to the elderly.  Maybe ten to fifteen times more so than regular influenza.

I just think it'd be easier to quarantine folks over 80 than it would be to shut down the entire country.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

Who in the heck do you think's influencing the advisory board. The media!!! Once again I'm going to have to hold my tongue, so I don't say anything to offend somebody.

The media is taking a megaphone into a crowded theater and yelling fire. In one sense, to a great degree. And somehow that seems to be okay.

however, if I was in a high risk factor group don't you think I might be smart enough to take certain precautions. As if I don't have a brain.

But to a certain extent big brother, figuratively speaking is thinking for me. Like I'm some sort of stupid clown.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6

12 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Of course.. the first season in 10 years the Mean Green have a shot for the Big Dance and we couldn't travel to support even if we had the option.

On a better note, my friends and I have a theory. When we are live at games, we always lose. Example: Last month I drove to Houston to watch us play a not good Rice. We of course lost.

We didn't go, nor watch, we win conference.

Same goes for Football and Soccer. Only exception in years, HOD Bowl win.

• Upvote 2

Mark Emmert—”This decision is in the best interest of public health....fans...”

So since this decision is in the best interest of public health and fans......that certainly means a couple of things we won’t see.

We won’t see, for instance during a televised Florida State Midwest Regional game in Indianapolis CBS Sports Television suddenly cut away to a live crowd of thousands of Seminole fans packed into the D.L. Tucker Civic Arena at FSU’s campus, right?  You don’t want to risk all of those lives jammed together in one place like your trying to prevent with this announcement today,  right?

And the second thing we won’t see are games being televised in every bar and restaurant, especially in Tallahassee and its surrounding regions.  You talk about danger?  We’ve seen how packed a bar can get during the big game.  You can’t have small venues like bars jammed full of people, especially intoxicated people yelling, high fiving and belching on one another with the flu going around.

I mean, it is after all in the best interest of public health and fans.  Amirite?.

Rick

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

GODDAMMIT CORONAVIRUS, LEAVE RITA WILSON AND HER HUSBAND ALONE. 

Also, the NBA has suspended all games after tonight indefinitely because Rudy Gobert is apparently sick with it too. 

But, RITA WILSON. We wouldn't have "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" without her. Also, her husband is somewhat popular, too. 

28 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

This narrative about only being a threat to the elderly is wildly inaccurate. Also really insensitive. Please stop this. 

26 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

This narrative about only being a threat to the elderly is wildly inaccurate. Also really insensitive. Please stop this. 

The last two days I've been reading and hearing news that the average age of those that actually die is 79.

What's your source?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The last two days I've been reading and hearing news that the average age of those that actually die is 79.

What's your source?

This is a callous response and please read my edited posting above. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm not sure, but I think we are talking about different things.  I am only talking about the lethality of it, while you seem to be addressing the transmission/infection.

Focusing on the lethality of the virus - saying it only kills old people - is callous and inaccurate.  It can kill or severely affect people with many other conditions, some of which I listed above. 

And how does the virus reach those that are more susceptible? Transmission. 

And for those that think this is all media hype, the president who said it wasn't a big deal just banned all foreigners traveling from Europe and is about to define how Americans can reenter the country. 

Homeland Security Acting Secretary Chad F. Wolf’s Statement on Presidential Proclamation To Protect the Homeland from Travel-Related Coronavirus Spread

Release Date: 
March 11, 2020

(WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.  

Statement from DHS Acting Secretary Chad F. Wolf:

“Protecting the American people from threats to their safety is the most important job of the President of the United States. The actions President Trump is taking to deny entry to foreign nationals who have been in affected areas will keep Americans safe and save American lives. I applaud the president for making this tough but necessary decision. While these new travel restrictions will be disruptive to some travelers, this decisive action is needed to protect the American public from further exposure to the potentially deadly coronavirus.

“In January and February, the Administration issued similar travel restrictions on individuals who had been in China and Iran. That action proved to be effective in slowing the spread of the virus to the U.S., while public health officials prepared. In the next 48 hours, in the interest of public health, I intend to issue a supplemental Notice of Arrivals Restriction requiring U.S. passengers that have been in the Schengen Area to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.”

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.” 

First of all, know anyone with the above conditions? I sure do. My brother has diabetes and is a chef, which means exposed to everyone that visits his restaurant. I guess we should lock him up. Know anyone with a severely weakened immune system? Maybe super fan Steven Pettit? That’s right he gets locked up to so that everyone isn’t inconvenienced. 

In addition to the risk of death, a pandemic can overload the health care system. We simply don’t have the ICU capacity for a massive outbreak. But you are young and healthy, so why worry? Two reasons.

First everyone is a possible vector for the virus. Many healthy people barely show symptoms but can still transmit the disease to vulnerable populations. You know who is least likely to stay home sick? Hourly workers without sick leave or a proper health insurance plan. People that work in places where lots of other people gather: stadiums, malls, restaurants, etc.

Second, what if you don’t get the virus but you are in a life threatening accident or come down with some other disease that requires critical care? Well ask how that is playing out in northern Italy. 

We aren’t testing for this currently, at least not at the rates we need to be. So we just don’t know the extend this has hit us and makes it impossible to predict where it is headed. 

Look I get the unhappiness of losing access to tournament games or immediate financial losses over canceled trips. And I have no idea how universities will deal with displaced students if they close. This whole ordeal is going to be a huge burden on the economy and many individuals. But for Christ’s sake, pandemic is not a word that is used casually. 

The Swine Flu was also called a Pandemic.

And yes, I think all of those people you mentioned should be on lockdown.  The vast majority of people who are seriously effected are elderly or have serious medical issues.  And those people should be quarantined if possible.

I'm not saying this isn't potentially a crisis (I've been concerned for about 6 weeks when I did some math and came up with 1.8 million dead Americans based on the lethality reports at the time).  But by far the people most effected are the old and/or compromised.  And yes, they should be careful (my brother has diabetes...and I stand by my statement...he needs to be careful....but I know he is a clean freak so I'm not too concerned).  

But this isn't something like the Spanish Flu that killed the young and healthy and seemed like the hand of God wiping out a generation.

BTW - this site is the best for tracking information on the Virus.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

The reason you shut down public events is to change the behavior of the general population because public health authorities understand that people will not change their own behavior.  

People looking to find a sports bar to watch the games is direct evidence of that.  Because again, hourly employees without sick leave or health care (ie. waiters, bartenders, and busboys that do not pay rent if they don't work) are not staying home if they get sick. 

According to the U.S. census site, 16% percent of the U.S. population is over 65.  If we add the other vulnerable groups, I would hazard a guess to say we are looking at over 20% easily of our population that are at risk of serious illness or death.  Our health care system cannot handle that.  

People are going to have to change their behaviors and endure some hardships in order to prevent a disaster in their country (not just in the United States - the entire country of Italy is on lockdown and China quarantined a city of 11 million people to try to stem the tide of this virus). 

I am going to stop now because it is obvious that some of you are not and will not listen. But I hope all of you are washing your hands well and that all of you and yours remain healthy.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

Did I hear right that this virus (obviously much more virulent than the flu) is susceptible at 80 degrees Farenheit?

If so, it is much closer to the flu due to it's life cycle (hence we talk about "flu season", then in late spring it's over) than something like Ebola.

If that's true, I hope to see life return to normal very very soon.  Especially here in Texas and other Southern states where we're about to start warming up (we were over 80 degrees yesterday!).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Did I hear right that this virus (obviously much more virulent than the flu) is susceptible at 80 degrees Farenheit?

If so, it is much closer to the flu due to it's life cycle (hence we talk about "flu season", then in late spring it's over) than something like Ebola.

If that's true, I hope to see life return to normal very very soon.  Especially here in Texas and other Southern states where we're about to start warming up (we were over 80 degrees yesterday!).

There has been talk of that because some countries that are currently in their summer season haven't had as many cases yet.  However, there is no solid evidence that I've seen.

Not to mention Tom Hanks is in Australia and he just got it.

36 minutes ago, CMJ said:

There has been talk of that because some countries that are currently in their summer season haven't had as many cases yet.  However, there is no solid evidence that I've seen.

Not to mention Tom Hanks is in Australia and he just got it.

Right.   I would think an epidemiological study of Equatorial countries & Southern Hemisphere countries would shed some light there.   So far, it seems like we're mostly hearing about Northern Hemispheric countries... granted, that's where a vast majority of the world's population lives.