Hamlet Newcomer of the Year

TheNewEra

15 minutes ago, TheNewEra said:

With Hamlet getting Newcomer of year looks like he'll get jipped out of POY

https://twitter.com/ConferenceUSA/status/1237453562180968454?s=20

image.png.42b01b25859a5e0d7f0ca91ee5405a32.png

I think POY is decided after the conference tournament is played. If we win it all, I think it would be hard to give it to someone other than him.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

I think POY is decided after the conference tournament is played. If we win it all, I think it would be hard to give it to someone other than him.

They are putting out the award tomorrow morning for POTY and Coach of the year 

Holding Hollingsworth to those two FT misses seems myopic, IMO. There are 25+ games in a season.

I could look at POTY winners across the NCAA and NBA and probably find tons of examples of worthy players that missed some closing shots.

IMO, a bigger knock on Hollingsworth is his ridiculous flopping.  It's theatrical to me (in a bad way) and consistent across the entire season.  The award should be given to a player who represents the highest level of CUSA bball play, not a player who looks like he was transplanted from a Euro futbol league that can score a lot of points.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Holding Hollingsworth to those two FT misses seems myopic, IMO. There are 25+ games in a season.

I could look at POTY winners across the NCAA and NBA and probably find tons of examples of worthy players that missed some closing shots.

IMO, a bigger knock on Hollingsworth is his ridiculous flopping.  It's theatrical to me (in a bad way) and consistent across the entire season.  The award should be given to a player who represents the highest level of CUSA bball play, not a player who looks like he was transplanted from a Euro futbol league that can score a lot of points.

I think only conference play counts. Plus yes missing those free throws 100% counts. That was the biggest conference game of the year against the other guy in the running for poty. If he hits those free throw they win the conference and he wins poty, but he didn't.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RiseUNT said:

I think only conference play counts. Plus yes missing those free throws 100% counts. That was the biggest conference game of the year against the other guy in the running for poty. If he hits those free throw they win the conference and he wins poty, but he didn't.

Just my 0.02, but if Hamlet misses that go-ahead at the end of the Rustand La-Tech game, I think he is still a contender for POTY.  I just seem to have a different view on how much those two FTs play into the grand scheme of this.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

FWIW, his FTs were not for the conference title.  A loss at FIU would have opened the door for UNT/LT to still win it.

14 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just my 0.02, but if Hamlet misses that go-ahead at the end of the Rustand La-Tech game, I think he is still a contender for POTY.  I just seem to have a different view on how much those two FTs play into the grand scheme of this.

But he didn't miss. 

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

FWIW, his FTs were not for the conference title.  A loss at FIU would have opened the door for UNT/LT to still win it.

Well since he missed and they lost they had 0% chance to win conference so those 2 missed free throws cost them the championship.

Edited by RiseUNT