Ivy League Cancels Conference Tournament

Hey all, I just read that the Ivy League cancelled their conference tournament and awarded the auto bid to the regular season winner due to the coronavirus. With an announced case of corona in Frisco do you think it’s a possibility it could happen with the CUSA tournament? I hope not because I love the event and everything that surrounds a conference tournament, but can’t say I’d be disappointed in being given the auto birth into the NCAA Tournament.

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/three-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-in-collin-county-health-officials-say/287-7cc0418e-0102-4fde-a0ec-22c789e235d6

This sucks.....

It's not a problem for most people (I surely don't want elderly folks or those with underlying issues to get it) but as a parent to elementary aged kids, the biggest threat to getting it is not the illness itself (everything I've read says that this virus is actually not as threatening to kids as the flu) but it's if/when you get it...having to stay home for weeks due to the hysteria about it.

This guy in Frisco has been home for a week....did he go to the grocery store? Church? kid's ball game? The kids went to school? (edit: evidently they didn't according to that interview)  Etc. Etc.

With it confirmed in Frisco (and that's just confirmed, I'm sure it's all over by now) the Conference has a decision to make and they better make it fast....

Tough deal

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/three-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-in-collin-county-health-officials-say/287-7cc0418e-0102-4fde-a0ec-22c789e235d6

This sucks.....

It's not a problem for most people (I surely don't want elderly folks or those with underlying issues to get it) but as a parent to elementary aged kids, the biggest threat to getting it is not the illness itself (everything I've read says that this virus is actually not as threatening to kids as the flu) but it's if/when you get it...having to stay home for weeks due to the hysteria about it.

This guy in Frisco has been home for a week....did he go to the grocery store? Church? kid's ball game? The kids went to school? (edit: evidently they didn't according to that interview)  Etc. Etc.

With it confirmed in Frisco (and that's just confirmed, I'm sure it's all over by now) the Conference has a decision to make and they better make it fast....

Tough deal

I would be surprised and disappointed if they do cancel, but with all the negative publicity for this virus it wouldn’t shock me

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

At this point....I would be surprised too. People are probably already in town for it...

I would expect the teams to have already arrived in Frisco and had some opportunities to have practice.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

I would expect the teams to have already arrived in Frisco and had some opportunities to have practice.

That’s what I was thinking. Probably already too late at this point. Which I’m ok with. I’ll still be going. I’m not afraid of the flu! 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Unless you are a public health expert or epidemiologist you really should shut your ignorant mouth. 

I have a graduate certificate in Microbial Biodefense (on the policy side of things) and I am not willing to jump in on this. 

Look to the WHO for guidance not Fox News or GMG.

From the WHO March 9 briefing:

“As you know, over the weekend we crossed 100,000 reported cases of COVID-19 in 100 countries.

It’s certainly troubling that so many people and countries have been affected, so quickly.

Now that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real.

But it would be the first pandemic in history that could be controlled.

The bottom line is: we are not at the mercy of this virus.

The great advantage we have is that the decisions we all make – as governments, businesses, communities, families and individuals – can influence the trajectory of this epidemic.

We need to remember that with decisive, early action, we can slow down the virus and prevent infections. Among those who are infected, most will recover.”

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 3

29 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Unless you are a public health expert or epidemiologist you really should shut your ignorant mouth. 

I have a graduate certificate in Microbial Biodefense (on the policy side of things) and I am not willing to jump in on this. 

Look to the WHO for guidance not Fox News or GMG.

From the WHO March 9 briefing:

“As you know, over the weekend we crossed 100,000 reported cases of COVID-19 in 100 countries.

It’s certainly troubling that so many people and countries have been affected, so quickly.

Now that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic has become very real.

But it would be the first pandemic in history that could be controlled.

The bottom line is: we are not at the mercy of this virus.

The great advantage we have is that the decisions we all make – as governments, businesses, communities, families and individuals – can influence the trajectory of this epidemic.

We need to remember that with decisive, early action, we can slow down the virus and prevent infections. Among those who are infected, most will recover.”

I took the bait!

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-everything-you-need-to-know

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

The average age of the people that have died due to the coronavirus in the U.S. is at or a little above 80.  Basically, if you have a compromised immune system then you should stay in and take extra precautions.  All others should follow basic sanitation practices.  FYI, I work in medical wellness and run a facility affiliated with a large healthcare system.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5