Swimming & diving

GrandGreen

Notice were the official site is lauding a swim relay teams' third place in a relay at the CUSA meet.   I guess the purpose of the team is to balance the male and female athletics.  However, I can't think of any team at NT with less success.   The team was actually making progress under the prior coach until he left.  Then NT just named his assistant as head coach and she has remained despite never coming close to winning in conference. 

Finishing near the bottom every year doesn't seem to be something that Baker would put up with, yet he does.  It maybe a facility issue, however the prior coach was at least more competitive..

I guess no one cares, but it seems changes are warranted.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Notice were the official site is lauding a swim relay teams' third place in a relay at the CUSA meet.   I guess the purpose of the team is to balance the male and female athletics.  However, I can't think of any team at NT with less success.   The team was actually making progress under the prior coach until he left.  Then NT just named his assistant as head coach and she has remained despite never coming close to winning in conference. 

Finishing near the bottom every year doesn't seem to be something that Baker would put up with, yet he does.  It maybe a facility issue, however the prior coach was at least more competitive..

I guess no one cares, but it seems changes are warranted.   

I haven't seen finish this year but last year we had our highest finish ever in CUSA (3rd place). Rice and FIU are both really good programs and head and shoulders above the rest. 

https://www.collegeswimming.com/results/118549/

But yeah, my guess is its to balance the male female ratio. Not sure on the facilities but if they still use the facilities in Physical education building, they were an issue 20 years ago when I last stepped in there. 🙂

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

I haven't seen finish this year but last year we had our highest finish ever in CUSA (3rd place). Rice and FIU are both really good programs and head and shoulders above the rest. 

But yeah, my guess is its to balance the male female ratio. Not sure on the facilities but if they still use the facilities in Physical education building, they were an issue 20 years ago when I last stepped in there. 🙂

NT Swimming CUSA

2020 5th of 6

2019 3rd of 6

2018, 2017, 2016,  4th of 6

11 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

They still use it. I don’t think this program will take the next step until North Texas actually builds a...what do people call it, natatorium? It’s in the master plan but it’s probably at least a decade away 😬

On 3/5/2020 at 7:49 AM, Salsa_Verde said:

They still use it. I don’t think this program will take the next step until North Texas actually builds a...what do people call it, natatorium? It’s in the master plan but it’s probably at least a decade away 😬

If baseball doesn’t come before this, something bad is gonna happen

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/4/2020 at 9:07 PM, GrandGreen said:

NT Swimming CUSA

2020 5th of 6

2019 3rd of 6

2018, 2017, 2016,  4th of 6

This peaked my curiosity  so I went back a little further. We finished 2nd once in the Sunbelt but I think there were only 3 teams. So I agree with your initial premise that its one of UNT's lowest performing teams. But I disagree that it was getting better under the previous coach. It seems like the current coach has done just as well if not someone better when looking at both conference finish and dual meet head to head records. Probably an uphill climb without a new facility and as we all kind of agree, that seems a ways off.

2015 - 5th

2014 - 5th

2013 - 2nd (Sunbelt)

2012 - 3rd (Sunbelt)

2011 - 3rd (Sunbelt)