Softball Team Almost Ranked---now 26th

SUMG

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

In football/basketball, if you beat the #5 team in the nation I would think you'd be higher than "others receiving votes" on the following poll.

Why is this different?

they beat #5 team but also lost to under .500 NW team and the rematch with OU, softball and baseball having multiple games in a day/weekend won't have as much fluctuation due to the number of games, unless a team gets swept in a weekend series

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

In football/basketball, if you beat the #5 team in the nation I would think you'd be higher than "others receiving votes" on the following poll.

Why is this different?

There’s 249 D1 teams all playing a 40 plus game season.  

Like the playoffs including the Regionals, Super Regionals and College World Series....You have to PLAY your way into the top 25.  There are no freebies.

Rick.  

• Upvote 3

I just looked up the rankings today, expecting to see UNT in at #23 or so.  No love from the voters.  I think it's BS!! 

Beating the #5 and #6 teams, especially when that #6 team knocked off the #4 team, which is now the #1 team (per softballamerica.com) is enough to warrant a Top 25 ranking.  Whew, that was a lot - here's the translation in plain English:

UNT beat Louisiana

UNT lost to Texas in Austin, but took it to 9 innings

UNT beat OU at FREAKING OU (yes, I know we also lost)

Louisiana beat Texas AND Florida

Texas is 20-3, OU is 15-4, Louisiana is 14-5, UNT is 16-4

UNT deserves to be ranked.  Moral of the story, don't lose to McNeese State and Northwestern.  Texas can lose to Duke, but UNT doesn't get the respect Texas does.

• Upvote 5

On 3/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, untbowler said:

they beat #5 team but also lost to under .500 NW team and the rematch with OU, softball and baseball having multiple games in a day/weekend won't have as much fluctuation due to the number of games, unless a team gets swept in a weekend series

Yes, but while Northwestern may be 8-11, 8 of those losses came against top 25 teams, 2 against teams that will probably break the top 25 soon, and one win was against the #5 team.  They've had a killer schedule thus far.

Edited by gangrene
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gangrene said:

Yes, but while Northwestern may be 8-11, 8 of those losses came against top 25 teams, 2 against teams that will probably break the top 25 soon, and one win was against the #5 team.  They've had a killer schedule thus far.

You just explained/answered your previous post as to why we’re not #23.

Northwestern played that schedule because that’s their history to do so. They play a top non-con and play a top conference schedule every year and have won the Big 10 in their coach’ tenure.  She and her twin sister have been there for like close to 20 years and are considered top coaches and are known for their great softball teams..

We’re just now starting a history of playing and beating top 25 teams.   We just won our first conference championship.  .

We’re 26th right now..  That’s Unbelievably DAMN GOOD, especially in only RD’s second year.  Gotta be patient, gotta support and gotta pray we keep up the winning.  Our time is coming.

Rick

• Upvote 3

So I was trying to buy tickets in advance for the OU game at Lovelace on the 18th, and I’m pretty sure it’s sold out! I went to meangreentickets.com and tried clicking on the OU game, but it didn’t do anything. 
I assume it’s sold out already, but it could be a glitch 

15 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

So does this mean that MGSF members with Sports Passes can’t get into this game?

14 hours ago, untcampbell said:

I would think so...and that makes me very happy. I would give a try to backing up the pick up to the fence, getting out the lawn chairs and getting that view. Probably ought to get there early. I'll see you there, fellow Olympic Sports pass holder.

GMG

FYI.  I spoke with the ticket office.  MGSF members with sports passes will still be able to get in to the game against Oklahoma even though it’s sold out. 

• Upvote 3