Charlotte (3/4/20)

CMJ

Last game of the regular season.

Clinched the regular season title, so from one aspect the game doesn't mean much.  Should we rest our guys as much as possible, or try and keep the momentum going into post season play?

The real conference championship awaits in Frisco.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4

Everybody should play but give the younger guys more time.  Remember we have out off day saturday, so we have longer than any other team in our POD till conference tournament.  So we need to play everyone but we should use a longer bench then normal.  

• Upvote 7

50 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Clinched the regular season title, so from one aspect the game doesn't mean much.  Should we rest out guys as much as possible, or try and keep the momentum going into post season play?

I feel like we see a lot of bench production, but them still playing like this is a very important game. 3-1 in pod looks better than 2-2

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Clinched the regular season title, so from one aspect the game doesn't mean much.  Should we rest out guys as much as possible, or try and keep the momentum going into post season play?

Rest Hamlet, Gibson & Reese a little more than usual.  Give guys like Jackson & J.Simmons (didn't see either of them touch the floor yesterday) a few more minutes than usual.   Reward Bell with a ton of minutes for his play on Sunday.  I think we can still win.

• Upvote 4

With a full week before our 1st conference games, I wouldn't rest them at all. My biggest concern is rust heading into CUSA tournament. We've lost our last two games after 7 days off. Play to win. They have a full week to rest after that which is a lifetime for a college athlete in the condition these guys are in.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

We have not secured an NCAA bid.  Our resume still stands as a bubble/at-large.

Ideally, IMO, we get up by 20 then find a way to rest our guys as much as possible without losing control of the game.

Charlotte is playing to get a bye, so I seriously doubt we rest the starters that much. Not to mention, why would you want a starter rusty going into a 7 day lay off before a quarterfinal 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Charlotte is playing to get a bye, so I seriously doubt we rest the starters that much. Not to mention, why would you want a starter rusty going into a 7 day lay off before a quarterfinal 

Who wants rust? In my mind, I'm thinking we play this game to win, and you don't start thinking about rest until about 10 minutes left depending on how the game is unfolding.

• Upvote 3

I'd like to see 15-20 minutes each for Smart, J. Simmons and Draper...we're likely going to be mostly a 6 man rotation in the conference tournament/beyond, but it'd be nice for those three to have some good game minutes and maybe confidence if needed. 

also maybe design a few added minutes of Gibson on the ball...the offense tends to sleep without Hamlet and Mo just hangs out on the perimeter when he's in as the 2. Gibson isn't the play-maker and facilitator Hamlet is at the 1, but he's so quick and can get to and finish at the cup. could probably get away with a small line for a few minutes with Mo as a selfish 1, Bell and Jamiah attacking the rim and Smart and DJ spotting up for kick outs. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

Why would it be a six man rotation?

Eight played against WKy in the biggest game of the year. Admittedly I don’t know how many minutes DJ or Smart played, but especially DJ usually gets meaningful minutes. 

• Upvote 1

Against WKU - 45 possible minutes.

Geu - 27 MIN

Z.Simmons - 26 min

J.Hamlet - 39 Min

U Gibson - 41 Min

J Reese - 43 Min

T Bell - 33 Min

R. Smart - 9 min

D. Draper - 7 min

On the season we averaging the following:  Only including those that played in 20+ games.

U Gibson - 30.5

J. Hamlet - 30.3

Z Simmons - 23.8

J. Reese - 27.5

T. Bell - 24.7

D. Geu - 21

D. Draper - 18.1

R. Smart - 12

J. Simmons - 6.3

J. Jackson - 5.8

Edited by dml7007

23 hours ago, greenminer said:

We have not secured an NCAA bid.  Our resume still stands as a bubble/at-large.

Ideally, IMO, we get up by 20 then find a way to rest our guys as much as possible without losing control of the game.

No reason to even consider us as a Bubble/At-Large. Agreed winning these 5 straight could improve our NCAA seeding to 10/11/12. Even if we beat Charlotte then lose in the CUSA Championship we might be semi mentioned in last 4 four in but I doubt it. CUSA down year aside from WKU/LA & we have no quality wins. If we could've pulled off VCU, Utah State, RI, & or OU we might've been a legit bubble team.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Why would it be a six man rotation?

Eight played against WKy in the biggest game of the year. Admittedly I don’t know how many minutes DJ or Smart played, but especially DJ usually gets meaningful minutes. 

Because in tournament play your rotation condenses. Your top guys play as many minutes as they can, and the rotational guys get whatever is left. Regular season is a marathon, single-elimination tournament games are sprints, or something like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

also maybe design a few added minutes of Gibson on the ball...the offense tends to sleep without Hamlet and Mo just hangs out on the perimeter when he's in as the 2. Gibson isn't the play-maker and facilitator Hamlet is at the 1, but he's so quick and can get to and finish at the cup. could probably get away with a small line for a few minutes with Mo as a selfish 1, Bell and Jamiah attacking the rim and Smart and DJ spotting up for kick outs. 

I think you have a point, but I was pretty uneasy watching Mo being primary ball handler the few times it happened on Sunday.  He seems little bit "sloppy" (for lack of a better term) with the ball and even lost it once or twice to WKU, thanks to some of their quick hands.

• Upvote 1