Grant McCasland to NT Hall of Fame ?

greenjoe

Does today's win and CUSA Conference Championship along with last season's CBI tournament championship put Grant in the Hall of Fame ?  I can't think of another coach in any sport that has done so much so quickly as McCasland has in his 3 years here.  Wren Baker certainly knew what he was doing buying out McCasland's contract from Arkansas State.  

Losing only 2 players to graduation suggests that this team is loaded for next season as well.  

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Does today's win and CUSA Conference Championship along with last season's CBI tournament championship put Grant in the Hall of Fame ?  I can't think of another coach in any sport that has done so much so quickly as McCasland has in his 3 years here.  Wren Baker certainly knew what he was doing buying out McCasland's contract from Arkansas State.  

Losing only 2 players to graduation suggests that this team is loaded for next season as well.  

Go Mean Green

I mean....let's wait and see.  If he gets hired away somewhere else after this season I'm gonna say not with only three years here (even as good as they've been by our standards).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Wow... just wow. Benford was beyond awful. So grateful to have coach Mac.

What always killed me about the Benford hire in the first place was that even if he had been any good at all, it was an almost done deal that he would've gone back to his alma mater in Lubbock after that first season, since they were with an interim coach for that season. And nobody knew if he could coach because all he had been was a master recruiter. Absolutely no x's and o's or roster management experience, either.

McCasland was the complete opposite--won the NJCAA Championship in Midland, then showed great potential in his first year at Arky State. IOW, Wren had a fairly good idea that GM would be the right fit here since we had seen him actually win as a head coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you define a college D-1 Hall of Fame criteria ?

It really can’t be like the pros HOF criteria since a college coach or student athlete is only at a particular school for a fairly short run.  As opposed to pro “career” HOF criteria.

So maybe it’s justified to include a person in the UNT HOF given one really good year since  they probably won’t be around more than about 4 years.  Having said that I think Fry, Blakeley and Johnny Jones go in.  But at this point does Grant McCasland measure up to those standards ! My opinion meter says he should have at least one more hot year like this year before he gets the nod. (Unless, that is, UNT goes far into the NCAA big dance)

Edited by cogido
Omitted important point in original text