Western Kentucky (3/1/20)

CMJ

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Last WKU victory was in 2012.  2012! Here is the game recap from that win

Yeah, as much as LA Tech is obviously a ridiculously tough out, I think I'd rather play the Bulldogs again. I never, ever, feel like we will beat WKU.  Even on the few occasions we beat them I don't feel like we've changed the direction of the rivalry...just that we won't get the best of them again for a few more years.

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, dahbeed said:

Big congrats to the Mean Green fans that have been waiting for this for awhile.  Not a win over us.  I’m talking about winning the regular season crown.  That’s one hella accomplishment this year.  The conference isn’t as good at the top as it was 3 years ago when Middle, ODU, Marshall, and Western were all top 100.  But....there are basically no gimmes this year.  You have to bring your game every single night.  So very impressive job by your squad.

I said on our board and CUSA board awhile back of all the teams I’d seen this year in conference you guys were best and La Tech was right there with you.  The rest of us can win games but I thought you two were at the top and nothing I’ve seen since has changed my mind on it.

Do we have a chance to win the tourney?  We do but then again we could easily take a loss in the first game in the tourney as well.  Even when we had Bassey I thought we could win any game on our schedule but also thought there wasn’t a single game on the schedule I would have marked down as a gimme.  Once we lost him we’re the size of a decent high school team.  I’ve been amazed at the games we’ve won.  

I’ve never thought much of Stans as a bench coach and he still drives me nuts but he’s done a decent job with this group.   Him adding a press to this group has really helped us.  It turns teams over some but what it mainly does is shortens the time a team can get in its offense.  Because if they have time they have a pretty easy job of scoring on us in straight up defense.

I met Tasty Greek and his boys several years back and know there are a lot of huge hoops fans at UNT so I just wanted to drop by and congratulate you bunch on a job very well done. 

Classy post.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

anyone know of a way to watch a replay of the game? id like to hear the commentators take during the game

Might be available on their site for a re-stream.

• Upvote 1

Just got home from the game which came after being on duty and up most of the night before and I’m exhausted.tired sleep GIF.

I thought the refs were truly going to steal it from us there for a bit.  

And no wonder Hollingsworth scored 43 Thursday night.  The Topper Flopper shoves off with his free hand on nearly every jump shot then SAG’s his way to an Oscar.  Thankfully the refs made up for it and ate their whistles on his last two drives in OT.

Great, loud atmosphere that was so much fun.  

Hopefully this is just the beginning.

See you in Frisco.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 3

48 minutes ago, dahbeed said:

Big congrats to the Mean Green fans that have been waiting for this for awhile.  Not a win over us.  I’m talking about winning the regular season crown.  That’s one hella accomplishment this year.  The conference isn’t as good at the top as it was 3 years ago when Middle, ODU, Marshall, and Western were all top 100.  But....there are basically no gimmes this year.  You have to bring your game every single night.  So very impressive job by your squad.

I said on our board and CUSA board awhile back of all the teams I’d seen this year in conference you guys were best and La Tech was right there with you.  The rest of us can win games but I thought you two were at the top and nothing I’ve seen since has changed my mind on it.

Do we have a chance to win the tourney?  We do but then again we could easily take a loss in the first game in the tourney as well.  Even when we had Bassey I thought we could win any game on our schedule but also thought there wasn’t a single game on the schedule I would have marked down as a gimme.  Once we lost him we’re the size of a decent high school team.  I’ve been amazed at the games we’ve won.  

I’ve never thought much of Stans as a bench coach and he still drives me nuts but he’s done a decent job with this group.   Him adding a press to this group has really helped us.  It turns teams over some but what it mainly does is shortens the time a team can get in its offense.  Because if they have time they have a pretty easy job of scoring on us in straight up defense.

I met Tasty Greek and his boys several years back and know there are a lot of huge hoops fans at UNT so I just wanted to drop by and congratulate you bunch on a job very well done. 

Y’all are tough as hell.  Thanks for posting.  Best of luck the rest of the way other than if we meet again.  Toppers made a fan of me today.  Unreal hustle and I’m so proud that we were able to match it.  The will to win was bleeding all over that court from every sneaker red or green. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Yeah, as much as LA Tech is obviously a ridiculously tough out, I think I'd rather play the Bulldogs again. I never, ever, feel like we will beat WKU.  Even on the few occasions we beat them I don't feel like we've changed the direction of the rivalry...just that we won't get the best of them again for a few more years.

You almost get the feeling that, after a win, we have to lose the next two years, minimum.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Just got home from the game which came after being on duty and up most of the night before and I’m exhausted.tired sleep GIF.

I thought the refs were truly going to steal it from us there for a bit.  

And no wonder Hollingsworth scored 43 Thursday night.  The Topper Flopper shoves off with his free hand on nearly every jump shot then SAG’s his way to an Oscar.  Thankfully the refs made up for it and ate their whistles on his last two drives in OT.

Great, loud atmosphere that was so much fun.  

Hopefully this is just the beginning.

See you in Frisco.

Rick

The Topper Flopper has a good ring to it

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

I still can't wrap my mind around those Hollingsworth missed FTs.  The guy hits 85% of his attempts this year.  He was also responsible for 43 points in their win over LT.

Not a complaint though lol

Probably mentally and physically tired from the La. Tech OT game.

• Upvote 1