UNT acquiring New York Sub Hub shows university’s lack of empathy

This is really funny. The Daily is such a pity party these days.  They never pass up an opportunity to show UNT in a bad light. But, hey, journalism today, right?  Ha! Ha!

What really shows a lack of empathy is Ken coming to town, not telling Hunter and selling the building out from under him without so much as a "hello kid...I am in town...and I'm selling it". Yep...that's a lack of empathy...way to go Dad!  Now, tell me again, how UNT showed a lack of empathy....

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

This is really funny. The Daily is such a pity party these days.  They never pass up an opportunity to show UNT in a bad light. But, hey, journalism today, right?  Ha! Ha!

What really shows a lack of empathy is Ken coming to town, not telling Hunter and selling the building out from under him without so much as a "hello kid...I am in town...and I'm selling it". Yep...that's a lack of empathy...way to go Dad!  Now, tell me again, how UNT showed a lack of empathy....

Well, the Daily also endorses Sanders for President, so there you go.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Help me understand... If the son is the "owner" how was it sold without his approval? Sounds like the son might have been running it, but he is not the owner.

If I'm reading it correctly,  the son owns the business,  but the father still owns the property.

• Upvote 3

So this whole time Hunter was making all the noise when his dad was actually going to be making the decision? What a weird dynamic. I am all for small business but if this is such a big staple of Denton (I’ve never eaten there) wouldn’t people follow them to a better and nicer location? 

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

So this whole time Hunter was making all the noise when his dad was actually going to be making the decision? What a weird dynamic. I am all for small business but if this is such a big staple of Denton (I’ve never eaten there) wouldn’t people follow them to a better and nicer location? 

I think it's more of a staple of UNT students and faculty. If you wanted a good and quick meal between classes it was one of the best options. If a new location requires students/faculty to drive from campus I highly doubt it'll be as successful. 

Even Weinbergers didn't last that long and it had way better sandwiches and a great location right off the Square.

• Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Not to get into the "right" or "wrong" but UNT is not the on School to do this. Also, the expansion is not new and out of the blue. I know in the El Paso area both UTEP and EPCC have done similar things. A legitimate question might be if "public" colleges are expanding and spending at an unchecked rate. The increases in cost when schools are building and building is a legitimate question. 

I hope the son has been preparing for this and will be able to make a successful transition. Sound like a bigger problem is that he has been getting a good deal on the land/building and might have issue if has to pay market prices for a new location.  

• Upvote 2

On 3/2/2020 at 3:03 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Help me understand... If the son is the "owner" how was it sold without his approval? Sounds like the son might have been running it, but he is not the owner.

Son owned the business not the real estate. UNT bought the real estate...not the business.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

This was all BS.  Guy just wanted UNT to pay him more than the market rate and used unsuspecting patrons as the leverage.  NY subs came out very good on this.  Next.

you mean someone wanted over-market for a business they weren't actively selling? crazy. what's Zillow list your house at? can I offer you that exact figure, regardless of the fact that you're not planning on moving? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

you mean someone wanted over-market for a business they weren't actively selling? crazy. what's Zillow list your house at? can I offer you that exact figure, regardless of the fact that you're not planning on moving? 

If you had legal authority to come take my house and raze it without giving me a dime, I would be inclined to take what you offered. 
Or, if I felt confident enough, I'd try to negotiate a better rate with you (like daddy did) instead of hardlining and fighting the inevitable...despite how I feel about it.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

The problem here is the owner of the land was actively looking to sell just did't keep the owner of the business informed.

Lesson to all - Contract are always important, especially when dealing with family and friends!!

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

The problem here is the owner of the land was actively looking to sell just did't keep the owner of the business informed.

Lesson to all - Contract are always important, especially when dealing with family and friends!!

Really?   
Or, was he just smart enough to know you can't fight Imminent Domain, and come to the best possible deal he could get?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you had legal authority to come take my house and raze it without giving me a dime, I would be inclined to take what you offered. 
Or, if I felt confident enough, I'd try to negotiate a better rate with you (like daddy did) instead of hardlining and fighting the inevitable...despite how I feel about it.

Even in eminent domain they cannot take the land without compensation 

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/files/divisions/general-oag/LandownersBillofRights.pdf

Your property cannot be taken without adequate compensation. Adequate compensation includes the market value of the property being taken. It may also include certain damages if your remaining property’s market value is diminished by the acquisition itself or by the way the condemning entity will use the property.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Really?   
Or, was he just smart enough to know you can't fight Imminent Domain, and come to the best possible deal he could get?

If I read correctly, and that's a big "if", the father sold the land without the agreement of the family

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If I read correctly, and that's a big "if", the father sold the land without the agreement of the family

Right.   But I don't know that the father was actively shopping the property... more like, he saw his son was driving negotiations the wrong direction and took matters into his own hands, since he could.

And thanks for the clarification on land compensation.   So, yeah, I'd take the offer if I knew I didn't have a choice... but would try and negotiate it a little sweeter if possible.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

UNT paid $1.4 million, does anyone know what the land was "valued" at?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the original offer was for $700K.  So due to actually negotiating with the University, the owner came out with twice what was offered.   Plus, they got a full year to rent the space for $1/mo.

• Thanks 2

On 3/12/2020 at 4:08 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Good fight, sad ending. Hoping all ends well and they end up in the same location or still operating by campus. It's a shame because the land isn't being used to "grow UNT" with classroom buildings or dorms.

I have not heard any official announcement from UNT as to what their future plans are for this land and the adjoining land they are acquiring. How do you know it won't be utilized for classroom space or dorms? If you have seen an announcement from UNT, and not just speculation, please share the link. I'd be interested to read the official announcement. Seems to me that if the land was acquired by eminent domain, than the use must be for a "public good"...sounds like classroom space, dorm space, administrative space or something as such to me.  But, I am no expert on eminent domain and what is considered "public good". 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I have not heard any official announcement from UNT as to what their future plans are for this land and the adjoining land they are acquiring. How do you know it won't be utilized for classroom space or dorms? If you have seen an announcement from UNT, and not just speculation, please share the link. I'd be interested to read the official announcement. Seems to me that if the land was acquired by eminent domain, than the use must be for a "public good"...sounds like classroom space, dorm space, administrative space or something as such to me.  But, I am no expert on eminent domain and what is considered "public good". 

From NYSH's POV it sounds like there wasn't a firm plan in place for the land despite UNT going after it:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Last I heard they wanted to use the land for administrative space in order to free up space at the core of the campus for more classrooms and parking. There simply is no more room unless you want them to start buying up people’s houses like TWU is forced to do. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1