Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Side Show Joe

WHERE DID OUR HOME GAME WITH CAL GO?!!!!

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Looking forward to your conversation with NBC.

ND is like UT in the way the networks want them to be relevant.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

UNLV's a home game for Cal.

And as far as I can see, Cal is playing at Notre Dame with no return game.  

It was noted above that they got ND to come to Berkley, that is what I was going off of, which caused them to shift UNLV to our spot on their home schedule.  Either way, this is what I hate about scheduling a one-for-one and playing on the road first.  The buyout should be double what we expected to have earned from hosting the game, minimum.

  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It was noted above that they got ND to come to Berkley, that is what I was going off of, which caused them to shift UNLV to our spot on their home schedule.  Either way, this is what I hate about scheduling a one-for-one and playing on the road first.  The buyout should be double what we expected to have earned from hosting the game, minimum.

Well Cal does have $1.9 million from ND to help pay us our due.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't they just move it a year or two?  2022 was set up for 7 home games, moving Cal to another mutually beneficial year wouldn't cause the sky to fall.  Although a 7 home game season would have been nice.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Except they chose to move UNLV to our slot and dump us instead of keeping us and dumping UNLV.  If ND that big of a deal to Cal when they host USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, etc... every other year?

They didn't want to play us in the Texas heat! 🔥

  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets see if I understand this right.   Cal swapped an away game at North Texas for an away game at Notre Dame plus Notre Dame gave them almost two million dollars to sweeten the pot.    Guys, that sucks for us but if I am the athletic director at Cal I would make that deal in a heart beat.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Huff said:

Lets see if I understand this right.   Cal swapped an away game at North Texas for an away game at Notre Dame plus Notre Dame gave them almost two million dollars to sweeten the pot.    Guys, that sucks for us but if I am the athletic director at Cal I would make that deal in a heart beat.

Yes but the problem is they still are still under contract with us. We need Vito to find the contract language and see what the penalty is for breaking the contract as Cal intends to do.

  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this fall under the CA law that taxpayers dollars can't be spent in various states because they don't have alphabet laws?  I know there are  seven or eight states that ca government employees can't travel to on the state's dime not sure if the team would fall under that or not.

  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Does this fall under the CA law that taxpayers dollars can't be spent in various states because they don't have alphabet laws?  I know there are  seven or eight states that ca government employees can't travel to on the state's dime not sure if the team would fall under that or not.

In their press release for the initial scheduling of the series, they said they’d be using non-state money to travel to our game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 3:49 AM, outoftown said:

I like Brett. But that article was really a big nothing burger.

Image result for nothing burger gif

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 10:24 AM, Huff said:

Lets see if I understand this right.   Cal swapped an away game at North Texas for an away game at Notre Dame plus Notre Dame gave them almost two million dollars to sweeten the pot.    Guys, that sucks for us but if I am the athletic director at Cal I would make that deal in a heart beat.

Yes, if your word means nothing.   

I would think there is more to the story, like NT agreed to the change based on being compensated  and/or rescheduling of the game. 

If not, than Cal should look forward to problems scheduling future oc games and a possible lawsuit. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, if your word means nothing.   

I would think there is more to the story, like NT agreed to the change based on being compensated  and/or rescheduling of the game. 

If not, than Cal should look forward to problems scheduling future oc games and a possible lawsuit. 

 

Contracts get bought out all the time. Cal fans would probably be mad if you passed on the opportunity to play ND.

I think if anything here is to be mad at, it’s how much sway ND has.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Contracts get bought out all the time. Cal fans would probably be mad if you passed on the opportunity to play ND.

I think if anything here is to be mad at, it’s how much sway ND has.

At this point, most of us have no idea of what happened to the scheduled game with Cal. 

Was an escape clause in the contract exercised. was the contract renegotiated, did Cal just unilaterally  decide not to honor their commitment?

Per Vito, it appears that NT knows nothing about it.   If that is true, than NT will have to scramble for a game and have a great case for damages from Cal.  

  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm...per Wren Baker, the game is still on the schedule and nothing has changed for us.....as yet. He mentioned that he would let everyone know what happens...when it happens. But, looks like the home game with Cal...as scheduled...will not happen. Dang...wanted to see Cal at Apogee and read all the nice things the Cal folks had to say about Apogee and our fans as it just might have encouraged a few other schools to schedule "home and away games with us. We'll see...who knows...might just get pushed out a couple of years or me might get a chunk of change.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you fail to honor a contract, you pay damages, that is how contracts work. Y’all don’t need to be so upset that Cal is choosing not to honor the contract since, in choosing to do so, they are also choosing to pay us damages. Those damages are either in the contract itself, will be decided in court, or will be negotiated prior to the date of the scheduled game 2 years from now. We will come out ok with a little extra cash. Just ended up turning our home and home into an old school money game.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tired of "P5's" signing contracts for home and home, making sure the opponent visits them first and then doing crap like this.  Honor your contract, I don't care if it is Notre Dame or not.

  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 2:56 PM, UNTLifer said:

Tired of "P5's" signing contracts for home and home, making sure the opponent visits them first and then doing crap like this.  Honor your contract, I don't care if it is Notre Dame or not.

Power and money win again...

Those with the dollars dictate the game in college football. Always has, always will.

Ill say it again, but the body bag games need to be against the PAC, B1G, and ACC teams not in the South. If you want a P5 here, make it a series with a regional P5 that want to play a game in DFW. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Power and money win again...

Those with the dollars dictate the game in college football. Always has, always will.

Ill say it again, but the body bag games need to be against the PAC, B1G, and ACC teams not in the South. If you want a P5 here, make it a series with a regional P5 that want to play a game in DFW. 

Welcome to America? 🤷‍♂️

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Maybe next time we book a home and home, we should get the first game.

There's a reason those P5's stack the deck on these schedules...they can easily find another G5/FCS team to follow their demands if we don't

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Welcome to America? 🤷‍♂️

Or pretty much any place in the world.

  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.