WHERE DID OUR HOME GAME WITH CAL GO?!!!!

Side Show Joe

5 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

So Cal is 100% cancelling this game is what I took from this.  Per Vito's article the buyout would be $1 mil, they get $1.9 mil to play Notre Dame instead, so they cancel the game against UNT and still come out $900,000 on top.  Plus they aren't required to pay until the end of Feb in 2023, looks like a no brainer to me. 

The dates no longer work out for us to try and find another date so this to me absolutely signals the game is gone and we will get $1 million for it in 3 years.  Only other possibility is that Cal decides to work with us in moving the game but I just don't see it happening when there is zero benefit for them to move things around on their end.  They took a better deal and ran with it, sad reality of being a G5 team trying to schedule P5 teams is that they will always have the power.

• Upvote 6

Because of this, I'll be looking at our 1-and-1s and seeing how many of them involve us at their house for the first game.  Never thought about it until now, but I speculate most of them are like that.  It gives them the opportunity to have UNT at their house, then bail on the contract if something better comes.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Whoa there Mr. Bloomberg?  Do you ever recall us getting anything close to that in the past...for a buyout or to move a game?

Rick

Just going by the info presented in this thread.  The $1 million buyout has to be correct, right?  I mean, it was mentioned on GMG.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Just going by the info presented in this thread.  The $1 million buyout has to be correct, right?  I mean, it was mentioned on GMG.

And then you have to buy a FCS/G5 to come here to replace said game versus Cal, so expect a return of Bethune-Cookman for $600k and we will end up making about $400k on the deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

And then you have to buy a FCS/G5 to come here to replace said game versus Cal, so expect a return of Bethune-Cookman for $600k and we will end up making about $400k on the deal.

That is probably about correct. However the loss in spectators and -more importantly- attention is important. Beyond that there is the loss in opportunity. Winning an FCS game at home will do little for future home games attention, beating a P5 early in the season could do a lot, help with media attention and -if it were to happen in a great season -be the difference in a new years bowl race.

I think the lesson to take is not necessarily that we cannot go second in one and ones, but that they have to be pretty close to each other (the next season) and that the penalty for this case needs to be higher. Since games get scheduled so far out if the home game is the season right after the away game, it becomes much less likely to be cancelled.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Why?

Why not schedule another home/home with someone and pocket the money, or use it to upgrade the lockerroom?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Why?

Why not schedule another home/home with someone and pocket the money, or use it to upgrade the lockerroom?

Don’t get me wrong, your ideas would be the best path, but I’ll believe it when I see someone other than a Spare here.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Don’t get me wrong, your ideas would be the best path, but I’ll believe it when I see someone other than a Spare here.

I can tell you've been a fan for a while... 😂
I think we can trust WB to backfill with something worthwhile. 
Maybe not another P5, but I don't think it will be a FCS school because we can't play 2 FCS schools in 1 season, and we already have TX Southern scheduled).

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 3/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I can tell you've been a fan for a while... 😂
I think we can trust WB to backfill with something worthwhile. 
Maybe not another P5, but I don't think it will be a FCS school because we can't play 2 FCS schools in 1 season, and we already have TX Southern scheduled).

That's just not acceptable to me. Regardless of what Wren has said, Cal is dropping our game, and giving us $1 million. In my opinion the value of hosting Cal is of far greater value than the million bucks. Wren has to replace that game with a P5 home game. If he can't then UNT will not host a P5 until at least 2027. And what is to say Texas Tech won't pull a Cal and buy out that return game too.

If I were Wren I'd take that million and put it towards trying to buy a home game against "the U" in 2022 with no return game in Miami. They have the opening, and would probably welcome the opportunity to make $1 million while playing in front of DFW recruits. They might say no, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Go get BYU.  Great credibility that is independent and would fill a stadium in big 12 country. 

GMG

And we have played them before in Dallas.  A long time ago(‘70)but still.......

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

Go get BYU.  Great credibility that is independent and would fill a stadium in big 12 country. 

GMG

BYU isn't P5. We need to aim higher. Somewhere there is a P5 that would like a million dollar payday to play in DFW in 2022.

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

BYU isn't P5. We need to aim higher. Somewhere there is a P5 that would like a million dollar payday to play in DFW in 2022.

No they wouldn't. What makes you say this stuff? P5s pretty much NEVER take buy games, even from P5s. When they do it's at elite programs like Notre Dame. If you can get P5s to take buy games at G5s then you should quit whatever job you have and go into scheduling. You'd be a millionaire off of UCF alone. Miami probably has a $100 million budget. You think they'd sacrifice their football program by playing on the road? I'd like to get on what you're on. 

Also I'm with MeanGreenTexas, WB and crew have proven to be more adept at scheduling than anyone we've ever had here. I'll wait for final announcement and resolution before I get my drawers in a wad.

Edited by meangreenJW
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

So we get $1M and have to pay someone $600K to backfill. We also lose additional $ from increased ticket sales, concessions, and parking. 

Wasn’t this game also used to justify cancelling the Army series? This is why you never schedule a P5 at their place first. This was so easy to see when it was scheduled and I said as much. 

So in the end, we chose to cancel the Army series, got paid less than market to go to Cal, and we replaced all of this for a home and home with Liberty. All the while we probably come out getting paid less. Ouch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

That's just not acceptable to me. Regardless of what Wren has said, Cal is dropping our game, and giving us $1 million. In my opinion the value of hosting Cal is of far greater value than the million bucks. Wren has to replace that game with a P5 home game. If he can't then UNT will not host a P5 until at least 2027. And what is to say Texas Tech won't pull a Cal and buy out that return game too.

If I were Wren I'd take that million and put it towards trying to buy a home game against "the U" in 2022 with no return game in Miami. They have the opening, and would probably welcome the opportunity to make $1 million while playing in front of DFW recruits. They might say no, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

It sucks, for sure.

Maybe the lesson here is to increase the pay amount for those teams to buy-out so at least NT comes out further ahead.   But since these P5 teams are playing with $millions while we’re playing with $hundred thousands, the pay is significant for us & chump change for them.

And a $1mil payday isn’t going to entice a P5 school when they could pay another school $1mil to come to their place & still profit off their own gate/concessions/merch sales.  That’s the kind of stacked deck we’re up against.

9 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

Wasn’t this game also used to justify cancelling the Army series? This is why you never schedule a P5 at their place first. This was so easy to see when it was scheduled and I said as much. 

So in the end, we chose to cancel the Army series, got paid less than market to go to Cal, and we replaced all of this for a home and home with Liberty. All the while we probably come out getting paid less. Ouch. 

No, the Army games were replaced by the Houston home and home series which is much better for NT than the Army series. Better quality of opponent in a conference we aspire towards, regional rival with a peer institution, and the away matchup in the series is in the metro area outside of DFW where we have the most alumni. Great engagement opportunity for the Houston area UNT alumni and super easy road trip for the rest.

All that said, if we in fact lose this Cal game, it sucks big time. Gotta get on the front end of the P5 home and homes to avoid this.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I may have missed the announcement, but it looks like Cal is back on our schedule at Apogee in 2023. Also hosting Memphis that year. Every current underclassman on our roster will still have eligibility that season.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2023/team/north-texas

And we will have a senior (or junior) QB who likely has 2-3 years starting under his belt, could/should be a big year for us.