WHERE DID OUR HOME GAME WITH CAL GO?!!!!

Side Show Joe

North Texas was scheduled to host Cal on Sept. 10, 2022. That game is no longer on our future schedule according to fbschedules.com. If that game is gone, someone has some explaining to do.

Article about the home and home with Cal

https://fbschedules.com/north-texas-schedules-football-series-cal-wyoming/

Schedule

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/north-texas/

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If you really wanted to know, you could always just @ Wren on Twitter or email the department.

I don't have social media. I'm old. Also, if Cal dropped our return game, that isn't the kind of information fans should have to dig up or request from the athletic department. You would think someone in the athletics would think to report it. But, if no one on this board has any information, then I guess I'll have to make a call.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I don't have social media. I'm old. Also, if Cal dropped our return game, that isn't the kind of information fans should have to dig up or request from the athletic department. You would think someone in the athletics would think to report it. But, if no one on this board has any information, then I guess I'll have to make a call.

Like I said, email the department.

I don't think this is information (losing a future home game) most ADs make official announcements about.

not trying to give you a hard time.  I relate to your curiosity, but this came across more like a vent than an inquiry.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Like I said, email the department.

I don't think this is information (losing a future home game) most ADs make official announcements about.

not trying to give you a hard time.  I relate to your curiosity, but this came across more like a vent than an inquiry.

It's not a vent right now. I'd call it a concerned inquiry at this point. But, if the Cal game is gone and Wren doesn't have a replacement of equal value (P5 @ home), then yeah, I'm going to be hot. I'd hope I would not be the only one.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

https://calbears.com/news/2017/12/7/cal-north-texas-announce-football-series.aspx

Cal did announce it so it must’ve changed for some reason.

Edit: So after a little digging, we were scheduled to play Cal at home on Sept 10 and they were supposed to host UNLV the following week. Then they inked a deal to play Notre Dame on Sept 17 and subsequently (since they were double booked) flipped UNLV to the10th and pushed us right off the schedule. I hope we were compensated handsomely for this.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

https://calbears.com/news/2017/12/7/cal-north-texas-announce-football-series.aspx

Cal did announce it so it must’ve changed for some reason.

Edit: So after a little digging, we were scheduled to play Cal at home in Sept 10 and they were supposed to host UNLV the following week. Then they inked a deal to play Notre Dame on Sept 17 and subsequently (since they were double booked) flipped INLV to the10th and pushed us right off the schedule. I hope we were compensated handsomely for this.

Wow now maybe we can schedule a 2-for-1 like most G5 schools...

These things happen, especially when schools have an opportunity to host colleges like Notre Dame. Wren is very competent with negotiating these types of schedule revisions.

You people are silly if you think the Cal AD is going to announce "We could have had a home game with Notre Dame, but we passed on the opportunity so we could play a road game at North Texas."

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, ADLER said:

These things happen, especially when schools have an opportunity to host colleges like Notre Dame. Wren is very competent with negotiating these types of schedule revisions.

You people are silly if you think the Cal AD is going to announce "We could have had a home game with Notre Dame, but we passed on the opportunity so we could play a road game at North Texas."

Except that got a home game with UNLV.  I blame Shelby McIntyre.

This is the reason I would prefer our 1 and 1's with the P5 schools begin with the game in our house.  Keeps them from hosting us and then buying their way out.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

After the last game, Cal must have realized this is not a sure win. We had the ball with 3 minutes left and a chance to take a win at their stadium. They were a top 25 team at that time. I think they are afraid of old UNT

If they indeed replaced NT with a home game or home/home with NOTRE DAME, then no, they're not afraid of NT... they just scheduled NOTRE DAME.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If they indeed replaced NT with a home game or home/home with NOTRE DAME, then no, they're not afraid of NT... they just scheduled NOTRE DAME.

Except they chose to move UNLV to our slot and dump us instead of keeping us and dumping UNLV.  If ND that big of a deal to Cal when they host USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, etc... every other year?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry, not a fan of ND and I don't place them above other P5 programs.

You're in a very very very small minority then.   
There's probably not a more historically-significant college football program. 

And, as an AD, if there's a way to get them at home, and all you need to do is buy out North Texas, you make it happen or lose your job.

Take the green-tinted glasses off my man.

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You're in a very very very small minority then.   
There's probably not a more historically-significant college football program. 

And, as an AD, if there's a way to get them at home, and all you need to do is buy out North Texas, you make it happen or lose your job.

Take the green-tinted glasses off my man.

Why not buy out UNLV?  I'm not faulting their AD for scheduling ND.  I get it, but they put them on the schedule where they had planned to play UNLV.  Dump UNLV instead of sliding them to our spot and dumping us.  Nothing green tinted about that.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why not buy out UNLV?  I'm not faulting their AD for scheduling ND.  I get it, but they put them on the schedule where they had planned to play UNLV.  Dump UNLV instead of sliding them to our spot and dumping us.  Nothing green tinted about that.

UNLV's a home game for Cal.

And as far as I can see, Cal is playing at Notre Dame with no return game.  

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Who do you think more Cal fans want to see their team play, UNLV or North Texas? This is a no-brainer for Cal, all the way around. Its why the P5 schedule thing has to be more localized. The Tech and Baylor games are much less likely to bought out in the future because they provide DFW alumni a chance to go to a game and see their teams. For the life of me, I cannot understand why we and OSU don't setup a series for them to play here in the years opposite of when TCU plays them in Ft. Worth. If I were SMU's AD, that's something I would sell to the OSU AD. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1