Biggest Transfer Need? Biggest Impact?

Aldo

The conversations happening in the thread below had me thinking about a hypothetical:

What if you could pick one game-changing, day 1-starting, rolex-wearing, transfer stud?

Given our current roster going into 2020

1. Which position would that be
  2. Are you picking for need, or are you picking for overall impact?
  3. Fight!

I'm going with WR for impact. The drop-off after Rico went down was huge.

Yes we had production in that group - so there's not exactly a need like OLine - but when it counted, there were dropped passes and missed opportunities that contributed to L's (Cal?). In many games, there was enough defense to give the offense a chance, but it never happened. Granted, there was a lot of inexperience there, but there wasn't one guy that elevated the entire offense quite like Bussey/Guyton did when they were healthy.

"But who's going to pass it to them?" you may ask.

I point you to the McNulty and Harris connection. You can call it chicken or the egg situation, but Harris was fed. 

Watching him play, Bean is a better, more accurate, and more mobile QB than McNulty already. Imagine a star WR with an accurate QB?

• Upvote 1

If we only get 1, it's gotta be an every-down, double-team-commanding, block-eating, QB-pressuring, Run-game-disrupting, Defensive Tackle.

If we get more than 1, then that same guy, plus any number of stud O-Linemen.

We're fine at WR with Darden and the emergency of Shorter.  Simpson will only get better as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If we only get 1, it's gotta be an every-down, double-team-commanding, block-eating, QB-pressuring, Run-game-disrupting, Defensive Tackle.

We're fine at WR with Darden and the emergency of Shorter.  Simpson will only get better as well.

DL or LB. If I really think about it, I want another OL just because 😂

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If your talking "Game Changer" I would have to go with a QB. A QB that is truly a  "game-changing, day 1-starting, rolex-wearing, transfer stud"

Although, if your talking a Chase Young talent I can see where he would be hard to pass.

I’m with you, a Pat Mahomes type quarterback can do wonders for a program. He propped Kingsbury up for several years out in Lubbock and I don’t care if you sign the unblockable ghost to play defensive tackle, if the offense can’t score points, it won’t  make a damn bit of difference. I’ll direct you to the 2014 North Texas football team for any evidence you need of a good defense being overwhelmed by the piss poor performance of their counterparts on offense. We had some good players left on offense but weren’t left with a FBS-level quarterback after DT graduated.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I hear you.

But I need me some points. I can definitely see a case for QB, since it really changes a team, but even with a guy like Mason, receivers not being able to get open within 3-5 seconds got him killed too often with that OL.

Next year, I'm not sure the o-line is going to make that huge of a leap, and Bean has some legs. The outside receivers are still young. Put a stud outside and it relieves some pressure off the inside guys. Add a big body like Christian Lee for the ensuing mismatches. Profit.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

I hear you.

But I need me some points. I can definitely see a case for QB, since it really changes a team, but even with a guy like Mason, receivers not being able to get open within 3-5 seconds got him killed too often with that OL.

Next year, I'm not sure the o-line is going to make that huge of a leap, and Bean has some legs. The outside receivers are still young. Put a stud outside and it relieves some pressure off the inside guys. Add a big body like Christian Lee for the ensuing mismatches. Profit.

Shorter is going to be all-conference next season.   

Mark it.

• Upvote 4

I guess the question is, who would make a greater impact for our team in the 2020 season? A Marcus Davenport (1st round d-lineman)? Or a Lamar Jackson?

We gave up 30 sacks this season, Lamar Jackson was sacked 47 times during his Heisman season. The right quarterback can overcome obstacles that a great defensive player just can’t unless, of course, he looks like this guy.....SpiritedAcrobaticGoldfinch-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Cr1028
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I guess the question is, who would make a greater impact for our team in the 2020 season? A Marcus Davenport (1st round d-lineman)? Or a Lamar Jackson?

We gave up 30 sacks this season, Lamar Jackson was sacked 47 times during his Heisman season. The right quarterback can overcome obstacles that a great defensive player just can’t unless, of course, he looks like this guy.....SpiritedAcrobaticGoldfinch-max-1mb.gif

Are we comparing a Heisman winner with a C-USA player?

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Are we comparing a Heisman winner with a C-USA player?

Ok Shane Buchele then.

And also, Jackson fit the below statement that was mentioned earlier. What CUSA quarterback have you met that fit that criteria?

A QB that is truly a  "game-changing, day 1-starting, rolex-wearing, transfer stud"

Edited by Cr1028

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Ok Shane Buchele then.

And also, Jackson fit the below statement that was mentioned earlier. What CUSA quarterback have you met that fit that criteria?

A QB that is truly a  "game-changing, day 1-starting, rolex-wearing, transfer stud"

Hmm.   Buechele or Davenport...   That's much closer.   I might go with Buechele there.

I guess Buechele would also fit that same description judging on the exponential jump in quality SMU got with him.

But what if we were to be able to get a "rolex-wearing, transfer stud" at DT like Ed Oliver though?  Would you still rather have Buechele?

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hmm.   Buechele or Davenport...   That's much closer.   I might go with Buechele there.

I guess Buechele would also fit that same description judging on the exponential jump in quality SMU got with him.

But what if we were to be able to get a "rolex-wearing, transfer stud" at DT like Ed Oliver though?  Would you still rather have Buechele?

While it would be a true blessing to have an Ed Oliver which I assume would make him a Booger Kennedy level player for us, I still feel like a competent Scott Hall made that team go. The team continued to be pretty good but not as good when he left. The team fell flat on its face when Scott Hall left. The 2014 team taught me that defense only wins championships when they aren’t on the field the entire game because of atrocious quarterback play.

Now please don’t get me wrong, if it comes between an Alec Morris level player and the DT from the Longhorns, give me the DT all day but if there is a qb out there that is mobile and can make plays both inside and outside of the pocket, I think you have to take him. Like a Jett Duffey without the title 9 mess. I don’t trust Bean and his “higher ceiling” and it doesn’t seem that they want to give Aune the reins.

Edited by Cr1028

Here is a question for debate ....

Does a Great receiver make a "good" QB look better, or does a "Great" QB make "good" receives look better? 

one of the reasons I ask is that I was listening to one of the "draft" shows talking about QB's and one of the announcers was saying that one reason you see a lot of guys that you did not always hear about make it on to teams and some "big name" school's QB's not make it is due to the talent that was around them. I believe they were referencing the QB Jones for the Giants where in college he did not have great receivers who helped his stats, whereas a QB for schools such as Alabama and OU, for example, have multiple receivers who are usually so much better then those they are playing against. For a closer example think of Sutton and Quinn when they were at SMU and how they were able to perform.

Probably somewhere in between, but always interesting.

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Does a Great receiver make a "good" QB look better, or does a "Great" QB make "good" receives look better? 

one of the reasons I ask is that I was listening to one of the "draft" shows talking about QB's and one of the announcers was saying that one reason you see a lot of guys that you did not always hear about make it on to teams and some "big name" school's QB's not make it is due to the talent that was around them. I believe they were referencing the QB Jones for the Giants where in college he did not have great receivers who helped his stats, whereas a QB for schools such as Alabama and OU, for example, have multiple receivers who are usually so much better then those they are playing against. For a closer example think of Sutton and Quinn when they were at SMU and how they were able to perform.

Probably somewhere in between, but always interesting.

This is an interesting question, I will say without any doubt that Mike Evans made Johnny Manziel look better than her was, however, I also feel like Mahomes made players like Keke Coutee look better than they were. I’d even argue that Harrell made Crabtree look better than he was.

In UNT history I feel that Casey Fitzgerald made Meager and Vizza look better than they were and I feel that McNulty made Harris look better than he was (only because McNulty would lazer focus on Harris and not distribute the ball elsewhere).

Edited by Cr1028

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This is an interesting question, I will say without any doubt that Mike Evans made Johnny Manziel look better than her was, however, I also feel like Mahomes made players like Keke Coutee look better than they were. I’d even argue that Harrell made Crabtree look better than he was.

I would think, especially in G5 and true "star" receiver could possibly take over a game more so than a QB, in most cases 

14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would think, especially in G5 and true "star" receiver could possibly take over a game more so than a QB, in most cases 

Courtland Sutton sure made a believer out of me since Ben Hicks was obviously no Heisman winner. I don’t want to stir up too much controversy but Rico Bussey had that ability as well. Mason was very good but Bussey made him look great.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Courtland Sutton sure made a believer out of me since Ben Hicks was obviously no Heisman winner. I don’t want to stir up too much controversy but Rico Bussey had that ability as well. Mason was very good but Bussey made him look great.

This is exactly my motivation for a stud WR.

A stud D-Line can get you the stop you need when you're down 3, but the best they can do is get you better field position. While that is a very necessary part of the game (increases points probability), you still need someone to get it to the end zone to win it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We have a stable of highly-regarded QBs, already signed six OL this class, and used four scholarships on LB last class. 
If you are taking a one-and-done grad transfer I think it must be on the D-line. 

Not necessarily one and done. 3-4 years a possibility, given that NCAA could potentially allow one-time transfer for immediate eligibility (per that thread in my OP).

Does that change your opinion going into 2020?

If not, edge rusher or run stopper a priority for you?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Aldo said:

Not necessarily one and done. 3-4 years a possibility, given that NCAA could potentially allow one-time transfer for immediate eligibility (per that thread in my OP).

Does that change your opinion going into 2020?

If not, edge rusher or run stopper a priority for you?

Big Ole DT.