Charlotte 72...Western Kentucky 70

TCC Mean Green

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

One of those weird days.  Baylor lost, San Diego St lost their first, Okie St. beat OU, Memphis beat Houston, etc...  We will regroup and be fine, but Gibson and Z Simmons have to contribute scoring along with Bell.

Gonzaga is about to lose.  So #1, #2, and #4 lose. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

All this format is doing is insuring this conference receives only one bid. Not saying because we lost but this bonus schedule is a failure 

We have a deeper problem as a league than bonus play. The quality of teams right now makes it a one bid league. Not the fact we do pod play. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We have a deeper problem as a league than bonus play. The quality of teams right now makes it a one bid league. Not the fact we do pod play. 

Get that stupid woman out of the commissioner’s chair, and then some problems go away. She is so delusional it’s not even funny 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I completely get your point but I do think the top pod this yr has some very capable teams.  Especially the top 3 I feel could beat ALMOST anybody in the country on a given day.  Not a fan of the pod system, just saying the upper crust in the league is solid this yr. If we can continue to build the program this way it will certainly add to the value WKU and ODU bring as basketball brands.  LT has been consistent and Middle has put good teams together.  Charlotte is certainly a basketball town.  Lots of elements there for success and it’s easier to get there in basketball than football.  Hoping some of those things come together. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Pod play does increase the strength of schedule. Strength of schedule is the chief determiner of bracket rankings. Thus pod play DOES give teams in the top pod the best chance of being ranked ranked higher if they get into the NCAAs. It's math, folks. 

However, it is still up to the teams to actually WIN. 

The thing is, to some teams (like us) it doesn’t treat us fair because we have so many long layoffs. FIU will have not played in 12 days when they play us, and before the actual tournament we don’t play for 8 days. To me that’s just a thing they need to work out (and other things like TV) but if they don’t this system will be gone.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:29 PM, greenminer said:

This is one cluster f and I expect this to be the last year of this dumb format.

How so? It would be better for WKU to lose to the MUTS on the road? All year people were praising our tougher schedule even when we lost but suddenly when our conference schedule is tougher people want to whine...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

How so? It would be better for WKU to lose to the MUTS on the road? All year people were praising our tougher schedule even when we lost but suddenly when our conference schedule is tougher people want to whine...

I'm of the opinion that the media mouths are looking for reasons to discount our conference.

Having the top teams beat each other to a pulp at the end of the regular season is not elevating the profile of anyone.  Maybe our SOS gets a little blip but, at this point, these losses (such as UNT to LaTech and WKU to Charlotte) do more to hurt the losers than help the winners.

I think the whole pod play/SOS format works IF AND ONLY the top teams continue to win.  What we saw this weekend was the downside: the top tier teams took losses and the entire conference looks like an idiot.

Thanks Judy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I mean I’ve never been a fan of this, and last week like stated above the top 2 teams lost at home. 

Once Judy is gone, we might be a normal conference. We might actually play in a basketball arena for championships😂

(I’m not against the championship at the Star by the way)

Some of you are convinced (or seem to be) the bump in SOS is worth the loss.  If that's you, maybe you think we are a lock for an at-large bid?  I don't believe we are a lock, so these late season losses are very bad for a team that is building its resume as a bubble team.

We have 2 - possibly 4 teams - that can win the CUSA tourney.  every team in the hunt now is desperately fighting for every single win because they know it will be a dog fight and a loss could be a deal-breaker to the committee.

• Downvote 1