Feelings on Giving Money to UNT

MGNation92

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks for the compliment.

I worked my way through school and also had some help from scholarship money.  I understand not maybe not being able to give immediately after graduation, but posting Nicholson shooting the finger is uncalled for.  UNT students have never been conditioned to give back.  I have been called to give at times in my life when I just couldn't swing it, but I wasn't upset or mad they were asking.

I agree it was a ridiculous reaction to a legitimate request. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I've never donated money to UNT and I immediately throw away anything asking me to donate. I graduated in 2014 and hope to pay off my student loans by next year. If the school wanted me to donate, they could have made tuition/overall attendance less expensive. How can you expect young adults, most of who can barely get a job out of college, to take what little bit they earn and donate it away. I don't think most of you here understand the current costs of college education, cost of living, and current incomes. I started off making $15/hour out of college in a corporate job doing work unrelated to my studies. The field I studied generally demanded unpaid internships for experience. I'm fortunate now to have gone into another field unrelated to my degree where I will make close to 6 figures this year (thanks to lots of overtime) which is why I should have my loans paid off by next year. That said, I haven't taken a vacation since high school due to now having kids as well. I'm not going to crap on young adults who can't afford rent for not donating to their university. UNT won't pay their bills. Hard work will.

For those saying the UNT degree helped them find employment, college degrees are the norm now. Not having one is nearly a disqualifier barring incredible experience but having one is expected. If our recent grads found decent paying jobs more easily and didn't owe $500/month in loan payments, maybe they'd donate more.

I didn't donate in my first 5 years out of college either, probably the first ten.  I graduated and started off making $7.25 an hour plus commissions in my field.  Not what I would call raking in the dough even in the early 90's, but I worked my way up in my field and am now able to give, some years more than others.  

I get that I also didn't graduate with the ridiculous debt that students are experiencing today and giving seems ridiculous just after graduation.  My only issue with the post, as I stated prior, is the picture attached to it.  I know it is a pain in the rear to get that call from UNT.  I get it every year and tell them that my family is funding a scholarship in my father's memory and that is where my available funds will go at this time.  They still say, well instead of "X" amount, how about a little less, and I reiterate that I would give that to the scholarship we are funding.  I also give to the Mean Green Club/Scholarship Fund.  Some years more than others, a few recent year none due to some personal issues, but I try to give something.  They are just doing their job, be friendly, or check your caller ID and let it go to message.  Either way, support UNT the best way possible for you.  If right now that is attending games, buying concessions, clothing, tickets, whatever, then so be it.  Maybe down the road it will be a little more.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Two of my kids went to UCONN, third is at UNT.  I was getting calls for donations while my kids were still in school.  Kids started getting them as soon as they graduated.  I still get them from UCONN.  Hello, I just finished sending a *&^%-load of money to you.  I didn't go to UCONN, why would I donate more money?  I feel sorry for the students that are doing their best to stay on script asking for money.  The conversion rate must be incredibly low.  I started getting calls from UNT a few years ago.  When I tell them I already donate the response is, "that's fantastic, would you consider a donation of $100 a month?"  I already donate.  "Could you do $75 at month?" I already donate. "What about $50 a month?" 

Point is, UNT is doing what they all do and I'm sure just about every recent graduate from every school that gets hit up for money feels the same way.  Give people some time to get their feet under them.

Why on earth would they even ask people to donate to per month? It’s kinda like a slap in the face. Yes I just paid the university 50 grand, had to buy my own scantrons, books, housing and now you want more damn money? For what ? Is college becoming more a scam? 

• Downvote 3

12 hours ago, THOR said:

Why did you go to north texas? Plenty of other schools would have been cheaper., especially since you say that degrees are the norm. Dont blame the school for you having big monthly payments. 

Find me other 4 year universities in Texas that are cheaper. I'll wait.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I didn't donate in my first 5 years out of college either, probably the first ten.  I graduated and started off making $7.25 an hour plus commissions in my field.  Not what I would call raking in the dough even in the early 90's, but I worked my way up in my field and am now able to give, some years more than others.  

I get that I also didn't graduate with the ridiculous debt that students are experiencing today and giving seems ridiculous just after graduation.  My only issue with the post, as I stated prior, is the picture attached to it.  I know it is a pain in the rear to get that call from UNT.  I get it every year and tell them that my family is funding a scholarship in my father's memory and that is where my available funds will go at this time.  They still say, well instead of "X" amount, how about a little less, and I reiterate that I would give that to the scholarship we are funding.  I also give to the Mean Green Club/Scholarship Fund.  Some years more than others, a few recent year none due to some personal issues, but I try to give something.  They are just doing their job, be friendly, or check your caller ID and let it go to message.  Either way, support UNT the best way possible for you.  If right now that is attending games, buying concessions, clothing, tickets, whatever, then so be it.  Maybe down the road it will be a little more.

I agree with your sentiment about the picture. I feel like it's a middle finger to the university and I love UNT. I plan on donating one day when I can. I've never been stingy but calling somebody within a few years of graduating while they're watching hundreds escape their checking accounts monthly to pay for said university seems like a poor tactic .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the ONLY ones you'll find that would be even remotely willing to give back to UNT immediately after graduation were wealthy enough to not have debt after graduation (ie: had their way paid), or those that had scholarships ("pay it forward") and even then, many of those with scholarships still have to take out loans, so even then, they may not, or may not give much.

All that to say, you can't gain any donations if you don't ask for them.   And even if they decline at first, maybe they'll give back at a later time.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 97and03 said:

This is why I like the AD’s program for free tickets and $25 donation levels. Establishing the connection and even a small level of giving early is a great approach. 

I highly support asking recent grads to give $10 a year for the first five years. 
@GMG_Dallas would you give 10?

I would forego 2 Starbucks drinks and shift that money to UNT.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks for the compliment.

I worked my way through school and also had some help from scholarship money.  I understand not maybe not being able to give immediately after graduation, but posting Nicholson shooting the finger is uncalled for.  UNT students have never been conditioned to give back.  I have been called to give at times in my life when I just couldn't swing it, but I wasn't upset or mad they were asking.

(time to roll your eyes, because here comes the history lesson....for the umpteenth time) 

(from Endowments .com)

The University of North Texas Foundation supports and enhances the educational mission of the University of North Texas by accepting, investing and/or managing private gifts, endowed funds and other assets for the benefit of the university and its students; and by supporting and encouraging philanthropic gifts to the University. Under the governance of its Board of Directors, the UNT Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to the receipt, investment and administration of private gifts that fund scholarships, research and teaching. Chartered by the State of Texas in 1972, the Foundation manages endowment funds, operating accounts, life-income funds and special gift arrangements. 

According to wiki the UNT current endowment is 192 million. The endowment fund was started under this Presidents tenure.....

Calvin Cleve ‘Jitter’ Nolen

1971-1979

During Nolen’s time as president, major construction projects included Wooten Hall, the Art Building, the General Academic Building and the expanded Union. The Coliseum opened in time for the 1973-74 basketball season. The Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine in Fort Worth was placed under Nolen’s direction in 1975. He previously served as vice chancellor for development at Texas Christian University.

I worked for the University from 1972 to 1973 and what one knowledgeable person told me at that time was that "Jitter" Nolan was only hired to jump start the fund raising program. Because he was known as a very good fund raiser.

Before Nolan (and John Kamerick) arrived, giving back to the University was strongly discouraged, if not forbidden by this guy......

James Carl Matthews

1951-1968

As president, Matthews guided the college through its desegregation, beginning with the admission of the first African American graduate student in 1954 and undergraduate students in 1956. The college awarded its first doctorate in 1953 and became North Texas State University in 1961. Almost 15,000 students were enrolled when Matthews retired. An alumnus, he was the college’s first education dean and had served as director of the teacher demonstration school.

The Mean Green club was started by Hayden Fry, and he arrived in 1973.

A brief comparison.....

Texas State was founded in 1899 and their endowment is 204 Million

University of Houston was founded in 1927 and their endowment is 959 Million

So for the first 78 years of this institutions existence GIVING WAS NOT A TRADITION AND/OR EXPECTATION.

When Hayden Fry left and then shortly after that "Jitter Nolan" was run out of town on a rail, guess who took over......

the minions of Dr. Matthews. 

They couldn't resend the creation of the endowment fund or the Mean Green club. But it's my belief that they are responsible for continuing the culture of non-giving to this University.

So, as someone has already implied, when a certain generation is gone, giving back to the University will be a much more acceptable notion.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think the ONLY ones you'll find that would be even remotely willing to give back to UNT immediately after graduation were wealthy enough to not have debt after graduation (ie: had their way paid), or those that had scholarships ("pay it forward") and even then, many of those with scholarships still have to take out loans, so even then, they may not, or may not give much.

All that to say, you can't gain any donations if you don't ask for them.   And even if they decline at first, maybe they'll give back at a later time.

I'm hoping this is my last response on this topic. I've been way more invested in this thread than I should be. I guess it's just that I can clearly see the different mindsets by generation.

My issue with asking within a few years after graduation is these young adults are tired of college and being broke. Give them some time to accumulate some wealth and assets (house, own car, etc...) and then start the conversation. Starting immediately after college left a bad taste in my mouth which that alone takes time to get past. Like somebody else mentioned, after paying for every little thing including scantrons to take tests, now you want MORE money? Give it time before asking for the first time. 5 years down the line, you introduce the thought to somebody and they might be in a good spot financially to where they can happily accept and donate. Graduating college with these loan debt amounts felt like a bad breakup to me and the last thing I wanted to do was give UNT MORE money.

That said, with the amount of data out there, I feel universities would be better off creating time frames to start contacting graduates based on their level of debts. I'm sure universities know how much students owe Sallie Mae. How quickly they start asking for donations should depend on how much money the owe. The more they owe, the longer you wait before contacting them. If somebody really wants to donate anyways, I'm sure they will.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm hoping this is my last response on this topic. I've been way more invested in this thread than I should be. I guess it's just that I can clearly see the different mindsets by generation.

My issue with asking within a few years after graduation is these young adults are tired of college and being broke. Give them some time to accumulate some wealth and assets (house, own car, etc...) and then start the conversation. Starting immediately after college left a bad taste in my mouth which that alone takes time to get past. Like somebody else mentioned, after paying for every little thing including scantrons to take tests, now you want MORE money? Give it time before asking for the first time. 5 years down the line, you introduce the thought to somebody and they might be in a good spot financially to where they can happily accept and donate. Graduating college with these loan debt amounts felt like a bad breakup to me and the last thing I wanted to do was give UNT MORE money.

That said, with the amount of data out there, I feel universities would be better off creating time frames to start contacting graduates based on their level of debts. I'm sure universities know how much students owe Sallie Mae. How quickly they start asking for donations should depend on how much money the owe. The more they owe, the longer you wait before contacting them. If somebody really wants to donate anyways, I'm sure they will.

Which is why if I was the University I would focus on getting those new graduates attending games and coming back to campus for fun events rather than having a hand out immediately. The AD has put some effort into doing that but not sure the school itself does. I would give every graduate a free subscription to the North Texan for five years. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Find me other 4 year universities in Texas that are cheaper. I'll wait.

https://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/texas/four-year/?view=all

2018/2019 costs:

north texas - 24,712

angelo state - 21, 046

lamar - 22,641

midwestern state - 21,069

sam houston state - 22, 478

sfa - 22, 156

just a few

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I would forego 2 Starbucks drinks and shift that money to UNT.

No need to respond. 

I recommend you give where you want to make your own impact. 

For your convenience and for anyone else thinking of giving that has not done so before you can give any amount. It all helps and it all counts towards alumni giving numbers, which helps out national rankings in places like US News. $10 matters.

Athletics: https://one.unt.edu/mgsf

General fund: https://one.unt.edu/giving/unt-general-donation-form

Chose a place: https://one.unt.edu/giving/gift-selection-specific-college

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, THOR said:

https://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/texas/four-year/?view=all

2018/2019 costs:

north texas - 24,712

angelo state - 21, 046

lamar - 22,641

midwestern state - 21,069

sam houston state - 22, 478

sfa - 22, 156

just a few

Texas A&M and UT satellite schools are cheaper, too...

• Thanks 1

So, here's my idea...and yes, I stole it from my son's military academy...I have spoken to any numerous folks at UNT and can get absolutely ZERO traction and interest in this idea, but I think it has merit and my son's academy has gotten decent traction from its young grads through this program.  Here's the idea....now bear in mind...many of the graduates from this academy start with a first salary (if they were to work a full year) in the low six figure range...not bad, and everyone gets a job!   So, yes, a tad different than UNT...plus NO ONE graduates with any debt.  But, here you go.

The campaign is centered around: "is Your Education and Degree Worth a Nickle a Day?"

The idea is to get recent grads "giving back", but in an amount not overly prohibitive.  So, first year out a grad would give: $ 18.25 for the year. Next year $ 36.50. Next year: $ 54.75. Next year: $ 73.00. OK you get the drill. It is not until the sixth year after graduation that the amount goes over $100.00. 

It is a fine way, in my opinion, to get grads...recent ones...involved in "giving back" and "paying it forward".

And, you might be surprised to learn that even though these grads make very good money and are employed immediately after graduation, the percentage that donate is very small. UNT is not alone. The reasons run the gauntlet for why they do not give back...just like they do at UNT, and yes, many are simply excuses, but they result is the same...very low interest in "giving back". Thus, even such a university as this academy has to come up with clever ways to entice folks to donate.

I do think such a program might have some merit should UNT give it a try, but as I mentioned, no one at UNT seems interested. What ya think? Worth a try or not? Certainly a nice "gimmick" for the student callers and it might at least get some folks "talking and listening" other than an immediate hang up or "no". Plus, a unique idea to explain on the call...could be fun.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

The universities did this to themselves. I don't feel a bit sorry for them.

The gov't gives out loans like candy and Universities pounced. The cost of tuition goes up and up and up. The gov't loans more. The universities keep on raising the price. Why not? Helluva business model. Get your money from gov't loans and leave the students to pay it back for the next 30 years. Oh, and then ask for them to give back? LMAO

There's no gov't loans for donations going back to the university that just fleeced the very person they want to now "give back." As far as I'm concerned, you got your money from the graduate before they graduated. I would say you'll get a donation from me when I'm done paying off the outrageous tuition and fees you charged me.

I graduated in 2000 with no debt by working during school and working extra in the summer. I literally wrote a check for my tuition and books with the money I earned over the summer. If memory serves it was....$2500 a semester or something? I paid rent, etc by working in school. Crazy to think about it being that low now. And then I got my MBA in 2005 (company paid for it). I can be critical of some things millennial and roll my eyes at times,  but they're getting screwed by universities.  I wouldn't have been able to graduate without loads of debt if tuition was as high as it is now. I love UNT but as a whole, college is such a scam today. The ROI is not as good for college degrees today...

If I were a recent graduate I would give a big middle finger to them as well. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

Was lucky that my parents paid for four years of school.  Graduated in ‘09 and started giving in ‘14 (modestly, as in buying season tickets).  I would’ve a year or two sooner but I needed the ‘13 season to convince me we had any ounce of desire to win in football again.  Been a season ticket holder since that yr because I love football and I’m proud of our school and I want to see the heart of who we are claim it’s place in the college sports landscape and keep improving.  We are a bunch of middle class kids who represent a lot of walks of life and that’s pretty easy for people to connect to.  Maybe those people will add to our base of sports fans.  When you’re as large as we are the money could really add up and the seats could fill fast.  I also love our arts and science and Denton culture and all of it.  NT is an awesome place to be for DI sports and quality music.  P1 paradise.  I think we are all kind of waiting around for that “sleeping giant” dream we all have to come to fruition.  I’m happy to pay what I can to be a part of that Until it happens.  That said, can’t expect someone to pay a creditor more than they already owe before they pay themselves some. 

Very proud to be an NT grad 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 1

When you give to the university, it actually benefits you. When you decide to go to a university, you accept the landscape that there are a lot of other people with degrees from other universities. Those universities all aggressively raise funds. If your university does not aggressively raise funds, the value of the other universities' degrees will be relatively higher than yours. But most young people do not understand these sorts of things. We have strength in numbers. So if everyone gives a little, it adds up to a lot. So give a little, every year consistently. It's for your own good! 🙂

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

What you donate to, is everyone's choice.

No one expects anyone to give that doesn't have the funds to do so.

Schools certainly are not going to check everyone's finances before calling for donations.   The caller is either a volunteer or a very lowly paid student just doing a job .

Being upset because you were called is beyond stupid.  Do you think if you had went anywhere else, that they wouldn't solicit you for donations?

Just say thank you for the call, but I am not contributing at this time.   They are used to hearing it. 

This and what @meanrob & @THOR posted.

Rick

• Upvote 1

I’ve suggested this before. Here’s a painless way to donate.  If you buy anything from https://amazon.com (and who doesn’t), buy it from https://smile.amazon.com instead  and select the UNT Foundation as your charity.  All the same products, no change in the price you pay, but a small portion of your order goes to your charity.  Easy peezy. 

• Upvote 4