Feelings on Giving Money to UNT

MGNation92

14 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Just as an FYI for those who are unaware of Reddit. I think it's pretty telling when someone posts something like this and nobody disagrees.

Until the general sentiment of this changes, it's going to be hard to reach the top of the foodchain of G5, let alone anything higher.

Can't disagree at all. This is the 98% flexing their apathetic muscle here. 

Our future fandom is going to be built on folks who graduated from 2000 and on. We absolutely nuked the alums/potential fans who cared or could've cared about athletics when we gave up and stayed at 1-aa for 12 years. We literally gifted the big state power schools around here even more t-shirt fans than they already had for anyone who cared about sports and spent any time at UNT from about 1970-1999.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

I think it speaks more to the individual and I stress individual that posted than anything else. How many did donate and happy to do it? It is always a minority that contributes! In the past colleges with law and Med schools got most of  the big bucks donation. Today it is tech entrepreneurs! Our future is bright and the explosive growth of Denton county only makes it stronger! GMG 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Can't disagree at all. This is the 98% flexing their apathetic muscle here. 

Our future fandom is going to be built on folks who graduated from 2000 and on. We absolutely nuked the alums/potential fans who cared or could've cared about athletics when we gave up and stayed at 1-aa for 12 years. We literally gifted the big state power schools around here even more t-shirt fans than they already had for anyone who cared about sports and spent any time at UNT from about 1970-1999.

A very important point when people can’t seem to figure out why more people don’t go to games across all sports. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

Back in the 90s and early 2000s when I went to a lot of away games I would meet those home fans and pick their brains about giving back to their university. The overwhelming sentiment of those under 30 (and maybe even 35) was hell no. Especially Sun Belt schools but even at places like LSU and OU most younger alumni laughed at giving money to the school they just shelled out a lot of money to. I would think with how much tuition is today, that sentiment is even stronger. Not everybody is rah rah about their school, they just want the piece of paper and to be done with it. 

I work with a mid-forties guy who went to Idaho and follows Idaho sports. When he found out I donated money to UNT he kept asking me why and what for. To him, only rich people with extra money give to universities. He doesn't even make that connection to donate to Idaho. 

Good news is the school is reaching out to people.  They can't say no if you don't ask. 

Young Alumns are tight with their money nowadays. If college wouldn’t charge an arm and leg, we wouldn’t have to ask these young alumni to shell out money while they have 30 to 50 thousand in student loan debt. I remember one year after I graduated back in 2009, UNT was calling asking me for donations to get better math teachers? I was like wtf? 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

53 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Young Alumns are tight with their money nowadays. If college wouldn’t charge an arm and leg, we wouldn’t have to ask these young alumni to shell out money while they have 30 to 50 thousand in student loan debt. I remember one year after I graduated back in 2009, UNT was calling asking me for donations to get better math teachers? I was like wtf? 

THIS

The crippling nature of student loan debt can easily prompt a recent grad to have this reaction when on the receiving end of a solicitation call. Each person's situation is different.  Of course, I'd rather they not make their frustration public as it can tarnish the perception of our university BUT... I'd say the same about some of the negative posting that goes on around here.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

Most of worked our way through school I worked 51 hours a week and graduated in four years + 2 summer sessions so 97 don’t be condescending to boomers we can’t help you graduated with debt.

The current average tuition for 1 full year at UNT (two 15 credit semesters) is $25,680. This total does not include the summer when you're out of school and need housing/food as well as winter break which is about 1 month. Most people go home for breaks which means less costs but also needing to find temporary employment back home or just going unpaid. I made $11/hour in college working at a distribution center. At 40 hours per week, I would have made $22,880 in 1 year before taxes were taken out. My employer did not allow us to go over 30 hours per week. Paying for tuition would have been nearly impossible. Thanks for playing.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I've never donated money to UNT and I immediately throw away anything asking me to donate. I graduated in 2014 and hope to pay off my student loans by next year. If the school wanted me to donate, they could have made tuition/overall attendance less expensive. How can you expect young adults, most of who can barely get a job out of college, to take what little bit they earn and donate it away. I don't think most of you here understand the current costs of college education, cost of living, and current incomes. I started off making $15/hour out of college in a corporate job doing work unrelated to my studies. The field I studied generally demanded unpaid internships for experience. I'm fortunate now to have gone into another field unrelated to my degree where I will make close to 6 figures this year (thanks to lots of overtime) which is why I should have my loans paid off by next year. That said, I haven't taken a vacation since high school due to now having kids as well. I'm not going to crap on young adults who can't afford rent for not donating to their university. UNT won't pay their bills. Hard work will.

For those saying the UNT degree helped them find employment, college degrees are the norm now. Not having one is nearly a disqualifier barring incredible experience but having one is expected. If our recent grads found decent paying jobs more easily and didn't owe $500/month in loan payments, maybe they'd donate more.

I don’t know many young alumni or people that graduated in the past 5 years, that donate to the school

• Upvote 4

Here’s the thing, y’all. It’s not just UNT alums; it’s universal.

The current Millennial generation (ages 24-40) has access to something like only 2.9% of the nation’s wealth, and Gen Z behind them is projected to continue that trend. Until that dynamic changes, you’ll likely not see a warm enthusiasm towards any entity that helps accrue personal debt.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Here’s the thing, y’all. It’s not just UNT alums; it’s universal.

The current Millennial generation (ages 24-40) has access to something like only 2.9% of the nation’s wealth, and Gen Z behind them is projected to continue that trend. Until that dynamic changes, you’ll likely not see a warm enthusiasm towards any entity that helps accrue personal debt.

I read that when the inheritance from parents is passed down, Millennials will become the richest generation in history.  If I can dig it up, I'll post a link.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, greenminer said:

I read that when the inheritance from parents is passed down, Millennials will become the richest generation in history.  If I can dig it up, I'll post a link.

So again, like I said, until the current dynamic changes...

Hit me back when that happens.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I am not of the current generation. I just went to grad school for way too many years, so that is on me. 

The current generation isn’t paying what we paid in tuition, however. If you graduated in 1970 (wild guess based on your screen name) you likely paid for your entire four years of tuition what a current student pays in a semester. It’s just a fact of life now that people have to take out loans. It isn’t laziness. There are no extra bootstraps to pull up. Most people graduate in debt. 

Just to try to be helpful:

https://sfs.unt.edu/traditional-tuition-plan-calculator

It ain’t cheap. Without any additional class or lab fees, a student can plan on paying about 6k a semester in tuition and fees. (18 hours is what the university pushes as the proper load to graduate on time). That is without eating or having a place to sleep. 

When I was an undergrad (1995-97) I seem to remember paying about $1200 or so a semester.  Wages haven’t gone up 5-6 fold in the same way that tuition has. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I've never donated money to UNT and I immediately throw away anything asking me to donate. I graduated in 2014 and hope to pay off my student loans by next year. If the school wanted me to donate, they could have made tuition/overall attendance less expensive. How can you expect young adults, most of who can barely get a job out of college, to take what little bit they earn and donate it away. I don't think most of you here understand the current costs of college education, cost of living, and current incomes. I started off making $15/hour out of college in a corporate job doing work unrelated to my studies. The field I studied generally demanded unpaid internships for experience. I'm fortunate now to have gone into another field unrelated to my degree where I will make close to 6 figures this year (thanks to lots of overtime) which is why I should have my loans paid off by next year. That said, I haven't taken a vacation since high school due to now having kids as well. I'm not going to crap on young adults who can't afford rent for not donating to their university. UNT won't pay their bills. Hard work will.

For those saying the UNT degree helped them find employment, college degrees are the norm now. Not having one is nearly a disqualifier barring incredible experience but having one is expected. If our recent grads found decent paying jobs more easily and didn't owe $500/month in loan payments, maybe they'd donate more.

Why did you go to north texas? Plenty of other schools would have been cheaper., especially since you say that degrees are the norm. Dont blame the school for you having big monthly payments. 

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 11
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Ok, boomer.

How much debt did you graduate with? 

Thanks for the compliment.

I worked my way through school and also had some help from scholarship money.  I understand not maybe not being able to give immediately after graduation, but posting Nicholson shooting the finger is uncalled for.  UNT students have never been conditioned to give back.  I have been called to give at times in my life when I just couldn't swing it, but I wasn't upset or mad they were asking.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2