Mean Green tennis adds to undefeated conference record

Skipper

Seems as if we are playing more conference matches during the spring season the last couple of years than before when we played lots of highly ranked teams.  Has there been a conference mandate for this or is it just trying to get a handle on how we match up before the conference tournament?  I always thought it odd that we played so few conference foes but wasn't sure what the scheduling requirements were for college tennis.  I guess I am used to other sports where you mostly play conference teams.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Seems as if we are playing more conference matches during the spring season the last couple of years than before when we played lots of highly ranked teams.  Has there been a conference mandate for this or is it just trying to get a handle on how we match up before the conference tournament?  I always thought it odd that we played so few conference foes but wasn't sure what the scheduling requirements were for college tennis.  I guess I am used to other sports where you mostly play conference teams.

for conferences that are far flung, can not play every team, some conferences do mandate but not sure CUSA does. Playing more conference matches though really helps ease the seeding process come tournament time.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, Zeleny' Orel said:

biggest issue I see right now is the team does not have a lock down #1/2. Yes there is some depth, but team is much weaker than last year, they were lucky to get by SHSU, who are the favorites in the Southland. Not sure where this team will be come April, but if they are Top 4, more of an indictment on the level of CUSA.

31 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't know if it is Lama or college women's tennis in general, but players don't seem to significantly get better.  If they are not a force their freshmen year, they are not likely to become one. 

Success for most teams centers around who can recruit the best foreign players. 

in some ways yes, but looking at Marshall they won with a 50/50 mix, I think that is what could happen at UNT, Texas is a great state for Junior Tennis, but hard to attract Texas, much less American players to UNT, but if Marshall can land a Top 50 recruit (#1 girl from PA) then Lama should be able to make connections. Ideally your FR should grow, but if recruiting well, they could be middle of the line-up all 4 yrs as the coach continues to load up on young superstars, locally UCA has 2 So and a Fr playing Top 3 one year removed from winning conference. Will be interesting to follow UNT, but this is a rebuilding year, but no dissimilar to Lama's tenure at Illinois. 

• Upvote 1