Louisiana Tech (2/22/20)

CMJ

Grant should have had them foul because we were not able to stop Bracy/Bracey late. At that point, all they could have done was tie it up and we may have to go to OT. To allow them to play that whole 24 seconds and Bracy scores with 1.4 seconds remaining and got fouled was not the right call. But, we should have played better D. Tough loss, but we will be okay.

• Thanks 2

When the chips are down and we go up against La Tech, on our home court, and from what I have to think was a good home crowd, we drop and egg.  Disappointing.  Same thing happened in football against Tech at Apogee in 2018.  Big crowd, we're winning, they come back, and we miss the game winning field goal.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

The sky is not falling. We still have a good team. Tonight we were beat by a team that was throwing up prayers for threes and they were falling. You can't defend that. LaTech can't live playing that way either. Tonight proved why the NBA plays more than one game to decide championships.

Edited by Venson
Grammar
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Looked like the girls team, just throw up threes no matter how many have been missed. 

On the other side, La Tech played a fantastic game.   I rather NT lose to anyone but La Tech, but I think this loss was more due to their good play than NT's bad. 

This was only my second or third game this season to be at, but I have a question: Does this team only do one thing?  Another words when the 3 shot is not falling, they just don't know anything to do but keep launching them?  Gibson was 1 for 8 on 3's but yet there was late in the game jacking them up.  If this is the case then all a team needs to do is guard against the 3 to beat them.

Most teams would love to have a 6'10" guy and we have TWO, yet even they were jacking 3's.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, Venson said:

The sky is not falling. We still have a good team.

We will be in the hunt for the CUSA title, but it’s this kind of loss that can take your NCAA seed down a notch.

now that I think about it, I wanna say a loss in the top pod of bonus play hurts you more than a win would help.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

B.S.  That was a hell of a game between two obviously pretty even teams. Hamlet hits a game winner at their place and Bracey hits one against us. 

And those saying we should stop shooting threes because we are missing them. Shooters shoot and can get hot at any time. Simmons and Geu shouldn’t be shooting them but the others should. 

I agree shooters shoot. But none of them were hitting for whatever reason.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

1 of 10 behind the arc in the second half.  Its unreal to see that in your own house.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20/louisiana-tech/boxscore/4482

Rick

yeah pretty frustrating.

As a teacher, I feel like you should never expect your student/athlete to stop being who they are.  If we abandon the 3, we are no longer a threat from the outside and I speculate LaTech will recognize that and be able to defend us even better on the inside.

We were in this to the very end despite a monumental performance by the LaTech players and our abysmal performance from 3.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Venson said:

The score was 72-70. Bracy hit the shot and then got the foul shot making it 73-72.

Then how did we finish with 71 points?

Just now, RBTX said:

He hit the shot making it 72-73 and then missed the free throw.

It was 71-70 us. Bracey’s basket put them up 72-71, then he missed the free throw. They got another point after the Jackson foul at the end of the game to put them up 73-71. 

C8166F45-DBBC-4707-BB02-925A65677C52.png

3 minutes ago, RBTX said:

He hit the shot making it 71-72 and then missed the free throw.

You are right. My mistake. My point is that Bracy made a 3 point play at the end by getting the basket and foul. Then we fouled again with .4 seconds which he made one and missed the second on purpose giving them the 73-71 win. If he had not been allowed to make that 3 point play, it would have gone to OT.