Louisiana Tech (2/22/20)

CMJ

Barring a complete meltdown these last 4 games, I think NT really just needs to win the WKU game to put 2 games in between them.   Everything else will take care of itself.   Beat WKU, then lose the rest, and WKU has to win all 3 of their remaining games to pass us (probably not going to happen).   

Same with LATech.  Lose to LATech, and there's still a game between us plus tiebreakers.

Lose to WKU, and the other games become way more important.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I disagree. Win the regular season and get the guaranteed NIT, NCAAs would be gravy. Plus if we are the number one seed and win the conference tournament there is a better chance of a more favorable seed. 

NIT would be good too. Of course not as great as the NCAA but still a post season tournament. The CBI was fun. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

NIT would be good too. Of course not as great as the NCAA but still a post season tournament. The CBI was fun. 

For me the important accomplishment is playing in a tournament where we don’t have to pay to enter. NIT does that and still has some prestige. 

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

For me the important accomplishment is playing in a tournament where we don’t have to pay to enter. NIT does that and still has some prestige. 

This is a NCAA tournament team! Now would you rather be a first round exit, or make it to the simifinals of the NIT?

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

This is a NCAA tournament team! Now would you rather be a first round exit, or make it to the simifinals of the NIT?

IMO, the oddest question in postseason sports.

How about this: I would like to win every game directly in front of us.  I'll take whatever comes our way.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Are the semifinals of the NIT on national television and played in Madison Square Garden?  If so, give me that...and yeah, I’d fly to NY for it.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

While this isn't necessarily true for all cases (say the press a 14, 15 or 16 seed gets beating a 1 , 2, or 3 seed in the first round), this is how I generally view it.

NIT Final Four > NCAA One and Done

NIT Title > NCAA Round 1 win

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

While this isn't necessarily true for all cases (say the press a 14, 15 or 16 seed gets beating a 1 , 2, or 3 seed in the first round), this is how I generally view it.

NIT Final Four > NCAA One and Done

NIT Title > NCAA Round 1 win

This. Although I would also want to know which pays out more. 

15 hours ago, 97and03 said:

This. Although I would also want to know which pays out more. 

The NCAA pays out more.

I'm just talking about accomplishment wise.  I roughly equate the NIT champ as one of the top 40-50 teams in a given year as there's very little difference (in my mind) after you get passed the top 20 or so schools.  But an NIT title you get a nice trophy.  NCAA upsets get you nice press for a day or two, unless you win on a buzzer beater OR if it's a BIG upset.  But 12 or 13 seeds win near every year, so unless it's a really memorable win, it's not gonna be remembered at large (by us it will be remembered forever).

That said I really wanna make and win an NCAA tournament game once in my lifetime.  But I think a NIT title (not a F4 appearance..a title) would be a greater accomplishment.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

NT has the best team in the league.  

The problem is nearly any team can get hot from the three and take down a superior team. 

McCasland plays defense first ball, but he concentrates on not giving up the easy basket and is somewhat vulnerable to the outside shot. 

NT earned the first seed in the bonus play and tournament.   

A guarantee for at least a place in the NIT makes the bonus play very important. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT earned the first seed in the bonus play and tournament.   

A guarantee for at least a place in the NIT makes the bonus play very important. 

Pretty sure the tournament seeding is also determined by the result of pod play. We have earned nothing yet. 

(I refuse to call it "bonus" play.)

• Upvote 1