Bonus game schedule.

dml7007

6 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

The reason they did this was to increase strength of schedule for the top teams which this does. It could lead to more teams getting in, or a better seed for the team that does get in (depending on the season). Not sure why anyone would be against the idea.

I mean but it really hasn’t worked has it?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

I hate pod play, but happy with who we got at home and who we got on the road. I think LA Tech and WKU will be the toughest opponents, so good to have them at home, behind hopefully great crowds.

FIU has only lost one home game all year.

Outside of Pod 1, I'm keeping an eye on Rice.  They have won 4 of their last 5.  Will be interesting to see if they keep this going through bonus play.

• Upvote 1

It won't work this season. It would have worked two seasons ago, when MTSU got completely hosed by the committee, but likely wouldn't have had bonus play existed then.

To me it is a good idea at its core, it just needs to be slightly better executed. it also is ok that it will not work every year a bit of patience and willingness to try it for longer would be good.  If it works every fifth year, then it is still a worth it to me. But if it increases the seed number for the eventual winner, that is already something. At worst it makes for more competitive games towards the end of the season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I don;t understand your argument. Are you saying that all the top teams playing more games against each other doesn't increase their respective SOS?

I think it probably mostly just increases their losses.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

FIU has only lost one home game all year.

Outside of Pod 1, I'm keeping an eye on Rice.  They have won 4 of their last 5.  Will be interesting to see if they keep this going through bonus play.

Rice has won 6 straight 😂 idk what’s going on, but that’s a team I don’t really want to play but I do for revenge 

• Confused 1

--- The mostly likely way to get two bids ( to me) is the regular season champion fails to win the conference tournament... so both are likely to get in... if the regular season team has a good record. . I think the bonus games are worthless. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

--- I think the bonus games are worthless. 

Bonus games are a part of the regular season.  It's a bit of a misnomer, leading one to think they are extra games.

I'm not completely on board yet with the premise of it (trying to bolster the RPIs/profile of the top tier teams), but I do think this makes this final stretch of the regular season feel a little bit more intense.

• Upvote 2

On 2/21/2020 at 2:04 PM, greenminer said:

Bonus games are a part of the regular season.  It's a bit of a misnomer, leading one to think they are extra games.

I'm not completely on board yet with the premise of it (trying to bolster the RPIs/profile of the top tier teams), but I do think this makes this final stretch of the regular season feel a little bit more intense.

Not really ... they do not count in conference standings... .. Just the same weight as pre-conference  games ..

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Not really ... they do not count in conference standings... .. Just the same weight as pre-conference  games ..

Incorrect.  Where are you getting this info?

My best guess is you read - correctly so - that once the tiers are set, teams cannot jump down/up into other tiers.  But as the final 4 games play out, teams can move up or down the standings...within their tier.

So a top team, like UNT at first place, can potentially fall as far as 4th or 5th in the standings.   If you're in Tier 1 (the top pod) you are guaranteed a seeding no worse than 5.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1