Old Dominion (2/15/20)

CMJ

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Should we win...we clinch the top seed in Pod play (and avoid having to travel back to WKU).

I said it last time, but we should have 5K for this game.

Heard Dave say that there are gonna be a lot of kids and organizations there as well. Probably gonna be like the WKU game, but probably with more true fans 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Who doesn’t have cable? 

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

In 2020 the better question is who under 40 still has cable?

I'm actually over 40 (barely).

If you have cable, I suspect you either 1) grew up with it and don't give it a second thought, and/or 2) never thought about how much a money suck it is.  I myself did not have cable growing up, and am hyper-aware of my spending habits/budget.

Sometimes I really freakin hate not having the big sports networks around, but I can't justify the cost when I only pay attention to one or two networks.    Especially when - outside of one or two sports events - I watch less than 1 hour/week.

RE: cost, I've never really looked into the "why", but I suspect ESPN is the sole reason cable is so freaking pricey.  Sports and all the contracts associated with it (player salaries, media exclusivity) are astronomically pricey and that cost is passed into the CSP consumers.  Take out ESPN and Fox Sports and I imagine cable service would be on par with most other streamers.... appx 10-15 bucks a month.

All that being said, it's nice to see consumers and competitors are figuring this out.  Slowly but surely, sports is leaking into other viewing/streaming options.

About 6 months ago I read somewhere that Disney wants ESPN+ to be the Netflix of sports.  We'll see.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'm actually over 40 (barely).

If you have cable, I suspect you either 1) grew up with it and don't give it a second thought, and/or 2) never thought about how much a money suck it is.  I myself did not have cable growing up, and am hyper-aware of my spending habits/budget.

Sometimes I really freakin hate not having the big sports networks around, but I can't justify the cost when I only pay attention to one or two networks.    Especially when - outside of one or two sports events - I watch less than 1 hour/week.

RE: cost, I've never really looked into the "why", but I suspect ESPN is the sole reason cable is so freaking pricey.  Sports and all the contracts associated with it (player salaries, media exclusivity) are astronomically pricey and that cost is passed into the CSP consumers.  Take out ESPN and Fox Sports and I imagine cable service would be on par with most other streamers.... appx 10-15 bucks a month.

All that being said, it's nice to see consumers and competitors are figuring this out.  Slowly but surely, sports is leaking into other viewing/streaming options.

About 6 months ago I read somewhere that Disney wants ESPN+ to be the Netflix of sports.  We'll see.

If this is the case, they need to improve the DVR capabilities. Their player is pretty bad compared to other streaming services out there.

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

In 2020 the better question is who under 40 still has cable?

Almost everyone I know had cable/ some form of television provider. Technically we have streaming tv via direct tv now, but that’s considered cable by some and streaming television by others. We still get 100 plus channels and don’t pay too much. 🤷🏼‍♂️