Old Dominion (2/15/20)

CMJ

42 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Absolutely. It’s a great idea. But when 2000 of our 5200 are part of an ISD special event, the rest of us need to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if we did a good job today as a fan base.  

Nothing draws fans into a fun event like saying, “this isn’t good enough and you need to do better.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’m starting to care less and less about the crowd size.  

We’re homing in on close to 50 years of Super Pit-ness.  I’ve seen the roller coaster of attendance too many times the past 34 years. We know what has to happen to get a raging loud-ass crowd in there....WINS and notoriety(DFW news coverage)..  When we win enough to gain both we’ll have the CBI Championship vs San Fran crowd again.

Till that happens there’s no reason to worry about it.  Just worry about yourself and enjoy the ride.

Rick

These are good points. And I’ve said on here it’s possible it will take a return trip to the NCAA tournament to give fan support the boost it needs (hopefully that will happen in about 4 weeks).  However, we are closing in on what will hopefully be a 3rd straight 20 win season. An era that includes a CBI championship during which we hit a legit 6,000 or so for the final. And we are playing meaningful games in the middle of a conference title race right now.  We should be doing better.

Other than the “well, we are just North Texas” explanation, I really don’t get it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’m starting to care less and less about the crowd size.  

We’re homing in on close to 50 years of Super Pit-ness.  I’ve seen the roller coaster of attendance too many times the past 34 years. We know what has to happen to get a raging loud-ass crowd in there....WINS and notoriety(DFW news coverage)..  When we win enough to gain both we’ll have the CBI Championship vs San Fran crowd again.

Till that happens there’s no reason to worry about it.  Just worry about yourself and enjoy the ride.

Rick

And tonight’s a good start.

E1071248-73B0-4C74-9CA2-A1846A140F9F.jpeg.6c2e8cef5d6d0a8383f2bb65bb84e7ba.jpeg

Great report on Channel 5.  I’ll try and find a link to the report.

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

Not sure what you are referring to. I don’t see a DVR function within ESPN+

@UNT 90 Grad thanks for the heads up!

I was referring to the on-demand functionality. I know, not quite the same thing, but 2 things. The ability to start from beginning during life events and a better skipping ability would make it better.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

Do we want/need bigger crowds? Of course. But you’re framing this as blame/responsibility on the fans. I am not gonna make that leap.

Blame/responsibility are a little bit stronger words than I would use. But at the end of the day why would anyone outside the program take us seriously when, largely, our own fans and alumni don’t. That’s part of it IS on us, collectively.

Edit: You know who else really likes strong fan support? Recruits  

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

I'm not gonna complain how we got there...there were 5K+ for the game yesterday, so I'm not disappointed.  

I would hope that if we play WKU for the 1 seed on the last day of Pod Play, we'd get 6K+.  But there's no guarantee yet the game will be held then, or that it'll be for 1/2.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

I'm not gonna complain how we got there...there were 5K+ for the game yesterday, so I'm not disappointed.  

I would hope that if we play WKU for the 1 seed on the last day of Pod Play, we'd get 6K+.  But there's no guarantee yet the game will be held then, or that it'll be for 1/2.

I really hope we play Saturday. It would suck to not play for a week and a half

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I really hope we play Saturday. It would suck to not play for a week and a half

I wonder if the higher seeds have any say in which dates they play. I bet every team would like to avoid that long of a lay off. 

You have to assume CUSA is going to put us and WKU in Denton in 3/7 (hopefully We have clinched by then). That would be a double header with the women vs. UTEP. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

What is wrong with some of you? We just finished up winning several must win games to finish 1st in the conference before pod play, and all you can discuss is the attendance?

You're not a true Mean Green fan unless the second thing you look for in the box score is the attendance figure (and sometimes it's the first).  Everybody knows that.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1