More media attention

Hunter Green

As I was searching for the game tonight on radio, I remember the comments made here on the board and elsewhere, about the lack of coverage we get on local media. I know we're in a pro sports market, but so what? With so many alums in the area, why can't we get one of the larger and more well known radio stations to carry our games, especially on Saturday?  820 AM carries TCU, 1080 AM carries Texas, 660 AM carries Baylor, and The Ticket carries smut. Not sure if 570 AM carries anyone.  A&M maybe? I know that just about covers it, but surely some station with a little more umph could be found...couldn't it? I'll be interested to hear from y'all who are more savy when it comes to media. 

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

As I was searching for the game tonight on radio, I remember the comments made here on the board and elsewhere, about the lack of coverage we get on local media. I know we're in a pro sports market, but so what? With so many alums in the area, why can't we get one of the larger and more well known radio stations to carry our games, especially on Saturday?  820 AM carries TCU, 1080 AM carries Texas, 660 AM carries Baylor, and The Ticket carries smut. Not sure if 570 AM carries anyone.  A&M maybe? I know that just about covers it, but surely some station with a little more umph could be found...couldn't it? I'll be interested to hear from y'all who are more savy when it comes to media. 

I mean 95.3 isn’t that bad😂😂

9 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I mean 95.3 isn’t that bad😂😂

I guess what I'm getting at is no media coverage in general. No televised games to speak of, limited radio range. Meaning 820 AM can be heard all over the state. I was in Rowlett last night and couldn't pick up 88.1. Fortunately, the men were on 95.3 and I could get that. But get out of D/FW proper and you can't get KNTU. I sometimes wonder if our small footprint when it comes to broadcast media is why we can't get mention on local sports stations whether it's TV or radio. Is it our opponents? Conference affiliation? Both? Dave and Hank are top shelf broadcasters. No one is better than those two. It's a shame we don't get more attention. What, if anything, can be done?

BTW, do we have stations around the state that carry our games?

Edited by Hunter Green

The Television has to do with the conference.  Last night we were on ESPN3, so you needed no subscription to watch it.    I would not be suprised if we end up as #1 and WKU is #2 if that is not a televised game when pods are released.  Remember it the conference and networks that pick those, and going into this year we were not the #1 pick in conference.  I been happy that we had multiple games that could be streamed without a subscription this season.  Would I love to be on ESPN/ESPN2, FS1 ect sure but for the most part CUSA is not part of those schedules.

Also I listened to every game on the TUNEIN app, no subscription so really no need to be able to pick up an AM or even FM signal.

Edited by dml7007
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

The Television has to do with the conference.  Last night we were on ESPN3, so you needed no subscription to watch it.    I would not be suprised if we end up as #1 and WKU is #2 if that is not a televised game when pods are released.  Remember it the conference and networks that pick those, and going into this year we were not the #1 pick in conference.  I been happy that we had multiple games that could be streamed without a subscription this season.  Would I love to be on ESPN/ESPN2, FS1 ect sure but for the most part CUSA is not part of those schedules.

Also I listened to every game on the TUNEIN app, no subscription so really no need to be able to pick up an AM or even FM signal.

FS1 isn’t part of our TV contract. Last year the 1 overall seed had 2 CBSSN games as well as some Stadium. I would think maybe a game on ESPNU

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

FS1 isn’t part of our TV contract. Last year the 1 overall seed had 2 CBSSN games as well as some Stadium. I would think maybe a game on ESPNU

I was not saying they were part of the contract, just naming bigger channels that most people have.  Main point is that TV options are decided by the conference.. or if ESPN wants a game they could pay for it as a one off.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

I was not saying they were part of the contract, just naming bigger channels that most people have.  Main point is that TV options are decided by the conference.. or if ESPN wants a game they could pay for it as a one off.

Oh yeah I know that. It’s just very unlikely that it happens because this TB contact is constructed so poorly.

I would bet 2 games on CBSSN, 1 on Stadium Facebook 🙄, and 1 on ESPNU

31 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

This.  Download the TuneIn app on your phone/tablet and search North Texas Basketball and North Texas Football.  Make them favorites and you won't have to channel hunt on a radio dial ever again and you can get them anywhere you have cell/wifi coverage.

Our channels don't require a premium subscription to TuneIn while many other sports teams do.

I understand that some folks don't like streaming audio/video, but your kids and grandkids almost ONLY use this stuff.  It makes sense for us to be positioned here to take advantage.  Obviously it would be great to be able to take more advantage of traditional cable TV, but ESPN+ for basketball is dead simple.  Once you pick your favorite teams it alerts you to upcoming broadcasts and sorts them to the top in app...so you never have to hunt or search for live games.  It certainly doesn't bring in the big money, but the execution and ease of use is really second to none.

28 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Marshall/NutsaCK were on CBSSN last night.  Why?  I mean, it was a great game, but wouldn't CUSA want to promote one of their top teams?

• Upvote 2

Don't forget that the game won't make today's Denton paper because it ended too late...around 9pm...and we are the first to hit print on their printing schedule.  I mean, it's not like USA Today and the DRC could switch spots in the printing lineup.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Your answer lies within the simplest of strategies--$$$. Those schools buy their time on those stations and have advertisers geekd up to be on their broadcasts. 

Those schools also have good to great to incredible media deals--in CUSA, we don't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cooke County Kid said:

I am not sure about basketball but KGAF AM and FM carry the Mean Green football games.  Not a real strong signal but if you are in Cooke County and maybe some of Grayson you can listen to the games.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

I get 95.3 all the way in Durant Oklahoma so

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

With so many alums in the area, 

....that don't care.  The media will feed the masses what they want.

We need to keep winning.  Keep engaging recent alumni and build a new generation of involved Mean Green fans.

For the most part, you're not going to make hard core fans out of the Dodge era grads, or the pre-Dickey era.  They'll come to us when we start winning regularly and have a strong regional brand.  Regional, as in bigger than DFW but doesn't have to be national.

• Upvote 1