Forgotten tidbit (Chad Morris and Andrew Smith)

I had forgotten that Andrew Smith's high school coach was the now-embattled Chad Morris.

The Victoria Advocate

Thursday, February 8, 2001

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

National Signing Day 

Blackcats finish off dream season 

By Mike Forman

Advocate Sports Writer

BAY CITY – Bay City coach Chad Morris had barely finished posing for the last of a countless number of photographs when he surveyed the scene in what had been a busy Blackcat Room in the Bay City field house.

“This is proof,” Morris said, “that good things happen to good people.”

Less than two months after leading his team to the Class 4A, Division I state championship, Morris watched three of his players sign letters of intent on Wednesday with Division I schools.

Wide receiver John Roberson and cornerback Byron Jones will attend Texas A&M and quarterback Andrew Smith is headed to the University of North Texas.

Also signing on Wednesday was linebacker Trey Mielsch of Tidehaven. Mielsch will attend Kentucky.

Roberson and Jones had announced their intention to sign with the Aggies during the season, while Smith gave an oral commitment to North Texas after a visit to Denton just over a week ago.

“It worked out great for John,” Morris said of the early commitment. “He was able to relax and roll right on through the season. Byron was a little shaky after he visited LSU. We like to think that our kids will stick with their commitments. It gave Byron some time and he was able to settle his decision.”

Roberson, the MVP of The Advocate’s All-Area Team, had an outstanding season for the Blackcats. He was a first-team all-state wide receiver after catching 64 passes for 1,523 yards and 15 touchdowns. Roberson also played defensive back and had 10 interceptions.

“They talked to me about what they’re looking for,” Roberson said of the Aggies. “They want me to learn all four wide receivers positions. I’m going to do all the little things to help contribute to the team in any way that I can.”

Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum expects Roberson to help replace wide receiver Robert Ferguson, who is entering the NFL draft.

“John is the type of player who makes things happen when he touches the football,” Slocum said. “He can take a short pass and turn it into something big. He averaged over 23 yards per catch and is a difference maker.”

Jones did not have Roberson’s gaudy statistics. But there’s no doubt he was a vital part of Bay City’s success.

Jones had only nine passes thrown into his coverage area and intercepted one. He also overcame an ankle injury to rush for 547 yards and five touchdowns.

“I saw that as a good thing,” Jones said of his lack of action in the secondary. “I took it as a sign of respect in my skills.”

Jones said he was impressed by LSU, but felt more comfortable at Texas A&M.

“I wanted to stay in Texas,” Jones said. “I noticed most of the recruits at LSU were from Louisiana and I felt better about being closer to home.”

Slocum believes Jones can make a contribution in the secondary.

“Byron is one of the top corners because of his ability in man coverage,” Slocum said. “He only had nine passes thrown his way in 16 games. He’s another athletic player who also competes in basketball and runs sprints in track.”

Morris sees no reason why Jones and Roberson can’t make an immediate impact at Texas A&M.

“I think John and Byron will have an opportunity to start,” Morris said. “It’s just a matter of adjusting and picking up a new system.”

Smith had few problems directing the Bay City offense. He completed 125 of his 250 passes for 2,256 yards and 22 touchdowns with 12 interceptions.

Smith’s ability to pick up the system at North Texas will determine his playing status at North Texas.

“We only wanted to recruit one quarterback and we signed the only one that we wanted to recruit,” said North Texas coach Darrell Dickey.

“He’s a very gifted athlete. He can run, he can throw. He will be brought in just like (starting quarterback) Scott Hall, and if he’s the best guy at moving the sticks, he’ll play. If there are three of four guys ahead of him, then we’ll determine what’s the best situation for him.”

Smith, who was also recruited by Texas-El Paso, has no doubt choosing to attend North Texas was the right decision.

“It’s a great feeling,” Smith said. “It’s a chance to get an education and play football at a big university. I’ll have a chance to compete for the job and that’s all I wanted.”

Mielsch had 51 tackles and two fumble recoveries this season at Tidehaven, after making over 100 tackles as a sophomore and junior. Mielsch also played running back and rushed for 625 yards and three touchdowns.

Mielsch holds the Tidehaven school record in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.7 seconds.

Mielsch committed to Kentucky during the season and stuck by his decision when Hal Mumme resigned on Tuesday and was replaced by assistant Guy Morriss.

Mike Forman is a sports writer for The Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-574-1206, Ext. 1388, or by email at mforman@vicad.com

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenHistorian said:

I had forgotten that Andrew Smith's high school coach was the now-embattled Chad Morris.

The Victoria Advocate

Thursday, February 8, 2001

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

National Signing Day 

Blackcats finish off dream season 

By Mike Forman

Advocate Sports Writer

BAY CITY – Bay City coach Chad Morris had barely finished posing for the last of a countless number of photographs when he surveyed the scene in what had been a busy Blackcat Room in the Bay City field house.

“This is proof,” Morris said, “that good things happen to good people.”

Less than two months after leading his team to the Class 4A, Division I state championship, Morris watched three of his players sign letters of intent on Wednesday with Division I schools.

Wide receiver John Roberson and cornerback Byron Jones will attend Texas A&M and quarterback Andrew Smith is headed to the University of North Texas.

Also signing on Wednesday was linebacker Trey Mielsch of Tidehaven. Mielsch will attend Kentucky.

Roberson and Jones had announced their intention to sign with the Aggies during the season, while Smith gave an oral commitment to North Texas after a visit to Denton just over a week ago.

“It worked out great for John,” Morris said of the early commitment. “He was able to relax and roll right on through the season. Byron was a little shaky after he visited LSU. We like to think that our kids will stick with their commitments. It gave Byron some time and he was able to settle his decision.”

Roberson, the MVP of The Advocate’s All-Area Team, had an outstanding season for the Blackcats. He was a first-team all-state wide receiver after catching 64 passes for 1,523 yards and 15 touchdowns. Roberson also played defensive back and had 10 interceptions.

“They talked to me about what they’re looking for,” Roberson said of the Aggies. “They want me to learn all four wide receivers positions. I’m going to do all the little things to help contribute to the team in any way that I can.”

Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum expects Roberson to help replace wide receiver Robert Ferguson, who is entering the NFL draft.

“John is the type of player who makes things happen when he touches the football,” Slocum said. “He can take a short pass and turn it into something big. He averaged over 23 yards per catch and is a difference maker.”

Jones did not have Roberson’s gaudy statistics. But there’s no doubt he was a vital part of Bay City’s success.

Jones had only nine passes thrown into his coverage area and intercepted one. He also overcame an ankle injury to rush for 547 yards and five touchdowns.

“I saw that as a good thing,” Jones said of his lack of action in the secondary. “I took it as a sign of respect in my skills.”

Jones said he was impressed by LSU, but felt more comfortable at Texas A&M.

“I wanted to stay in Texas,” Jones said. “I noticed most of the recruits at LSU were from Louisiana and I felt better about being closer to home.”

Slocum believes Jones can make a contribution in the secondary.

“Byron is one of the top corners because of his ability in man coverage,” Slocum said. “He only had nine passes thrown his way in 16 games. He’s another athletic player who also competes in basketball and runs sprints in track.”

Morris sees no reason why Jones and Roberson can’t make an immediate impact at Texas A&M.

“I think John and Byron will have an opportunity to start,” Morris said. “It’s just a matter of adjusting and picking up a new system.”

Smith had few problems directing the Bay City offense. He completed 125 of his 250 passes for 2,256 yards and 22 touchdowns with 12 interceptions.

Smith’s ability to pick up the system at North Texas will determine his playing status at North Texas.

“We only wanted to recruit one quarterback and we signed the only one that we wanted to recruit,” said North Texas coach Darrell Dickey.

“He’s a very gifted athlete. He can run, he can throw. He will be brought in just like (starting quarterback) Scott Hall, and if he’s the best guy at moving the sticks, he’ll play. If there are three of four guys ahead of him, then we’ll determine what’s the best situation for him.”

Smith, who was also recruited by Texas-El Paso, has no doubt choosing to attend North Texas was the right decision.

“It’s a great feeling,” Smith said. “It’s a chance to get an education and play football at a big university. I’ll have a chance to compete for the job and that’s all I wanted.”

Mielsch had 51 tackles and two fumble recoveries this season at Tidehaven, after making over 100 tackles as a sophomore and junior. Mielsch also played running back and rushed for 625 yards and three touchdowns.

Mielsch holds the Tidehaven school record in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.7 seconds.

Mielsch committed to Kentucky during the season and stuck by his decision when Hal Mumme resigned on Tuesday and was replaced by assistant Guy Morriss.

Mike Forman is a sports writer for The Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-574-1206, Ext. 1388, or by email at mforman@vicad.com

That's good history!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2