Lance Dunbar

Marty

11 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Terrible offensive philosophy.  When I saw that Hal Mumme was the Renegade’s OC I shook my head.  I wonder if Bob Stoops chose him because he knows better than that.  

No surprise at all that the team with the better run-blocking O line won yesterday.

Rick

Hal Mumme has not been able to bring any new concepts into his classic Air Raid.

I would certainly argue that a newer version of it would do VERY well in this league where these teams would likely get thrashed by several FBS schools.   It would also help to have Landry Jones at QB instead of Nelson.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

For anyone wondering, the St Louis OC is Chuck Long who is known for

*checks notes*

running the air raid

Please correct me if I am wrong

Long was also an OC under Turner Gill, who *checks notes* was a Tom Osborne disciple.
Long was also a teammate of Bob Stoops
Long coached Josh Heupel (sp)

Long couldn't get it together as HC at SDSU, but he has a strong pedigree and track of success as an assistant/coordinator.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

Long was also an OC under Turner Gill, who *checks notes* was a Tom Osborne disciple.
Long was also a teammate of Bob Stoops
Long coached Josh Heupel (sp)

Long couldn't get it together as HC at SDSU, but he has a strong pedigree and track of success as an assistant/coordinator.

Right. (Stoops OC and Fry player, too, for the 1985 #1 ranked Iowa team).

Point is, he likes to chuck it. Pun motherloving intended.

Passing is better than running. Play action is better than running. Don't get me wrong, smashmouth football gets me up in the morning, in that special way. But passing wins games, and both Mumme and Long are aware.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Right. (Stoops OC and Fry player, too, for the 1985 #1 ranked Iowa team).

Point is, he likes to chuck it. Pun motherloving intended.

Passing is better than running. Play action is better than running. Don't get me wrong, smashmouth football gets me up in the morning, in that special way. But passing wins games, and both Mumme and Long are aware.

However, if your QB is not a threat to connect down the field, medium or long range, the D can easily adjust

6 hours ago, Aldo said:

But passing wins games, and both Mumme and Long are aware.

Passing rarely wins games without a run game to set it up.  

If you cannot run the ball you most likely will not sustain a lead, and if you cannot sustain a lead you won’t win many games, especially a championship.  And from the looks of the goofy-ass play calling I saw Sunday Hal Mumme STILL hasn’t learned that.

And I don’t see how Landry Jones is going to help this team because he is now even more immobile with the hobbled knee and won’t have much time to throw behind that line.

If Sunday is any indication of what they have...the Renegades are in trouble.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Eye Roll 5

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

If you cannot run the ball you most likely will not sustain a lead, and if you cannot sustain a lead you won’t win many games, especially a championship.  And from the looks of the goofy-ass play calling I saw Sunday Hal Mumme STILL hasn’t learned that.

And I don’t see how Landry Jones is going to help this team because he is now even more immobile with the hobbled knee and won’t have much time to throw behind that line.

If Sunday is any indication of what they have...the Renegades are in trouble.

Rick

The fact that Jones didn't play is a big reason why. That Instagram model could barely do a 5 yard checkdown.

I just want to see a Dunbar TD

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

If you cannot run the ball you most likely will not sustain a lead, and if you cannot sustain a lead you won’t win many games, especially a championship.

These are two different statements.

Passing does not need a run game. I've run the numbers on NFL play by play data.

Taking a look at sequence, there is no difference between passing success after successful/non-successful rushes. Passing brings more yards, and more successful plays, and higher probability of points on each attempt.

Successful rushing has a smaller impact on both points scored and win % than passing does. By a lot.

Teams can use the run game in more creative ways, throwing defenses off balance. Down and distance, position of the field, score differential, all that matters.

But like you imply, having a good rush or pass game won't help if your playcaller is plain bad at their job, no matter the scheme.

• Upvote 2