Student attendance

Shark84

22 hours ago, Shark84 said:

If you sent out an email on the university student email system you would reach all enrolled students. Don't give cash. Free semester of school would be very attractive to most students and not really cost the schook anything.

Sorry but kids don’t use email generally. Even 10 years ago they usually didn’t use their email. 

The AD does seem to be promoting games.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Sorry but kids don’t use email generally. Even 10 years ago they usually didn’t use their email. 

The AD does seem to be promoting games.

Nit saying the students use email a lot but that is how the university sends information like closings, registration reminders, ECT. I have 2 daughters at UNT and they get the school messages. Just a thought. Students probably know when we have games, just not motivated enough to attend. 

• Upvote 2

I think I remember someone saying the kids get texts the day before and day of every game. I think this is why the AD went away from paper tickets for students. They get with an app on their phone. When they register for the app, the AD has email and phone info.

Only reason I remember is there was a lot of griping a couple years ago because some students had a hard time registering when it was first unveiled.

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2020 at 7:27 PM, Salsa_Verde said:

Not to derail this thread but if anyone had to come up with a signature win what it would be for McCasland? SL is obviously Arkansas but SMU is right up there. Yes I am that bored 😂

Winning at La Tech would probably be it other than CBI championship. La Tech had a 50s Net score and kenpom when we won there. That was a road win at a team in the upper 15% of D1 teams. In football, that would be a top 25 team (out of 135). I can't recall Seth ever being a team that high but obviously Arkansas was huge because its SEC.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

--- Yawl may not believe but in the mid 60's  we used the old Men's gym and if you wanted to see the game you had to show up very early to get a seat ... well maybe not Saturdays so much ...  We were in the Missouri Valley with Cincinnati, Louisville, Drake, Tulsa, Bradley, Wichita, etc.  At Christmas my senior year 5 of the top 10 teams were Missouri Valley ones..  We saw a lot of future NBA players including Wes Unsuld of Louisville. (NBA Hall of fame)...

• Thanks 2

At what point do we have to come to grips with the very real probability that there just isn't enough interest in our teams from the student body and local citizens and just accept that 3-4k in attendance is about as good as we can do unless the opponent brings in extra butts in seats or some other exception to the rule (CIT Championship, for example). I know we all get beaten down by the lack of support, but maybe its time to embrace the fact that we all love the teams of our alma mater and that is our way of being the cool minority of folks who care.

We can still win with very low attendance, as McCasland and Johnny Jones have shown, when the coaching is good. At some point, I know we lose those coaches to go up the food chain, but we are going to lose them anyway if we are good for a decent stretch. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

At what point do we have to come to grips with the very real probability that there just isn't enough interest in our teams from the student body and local citizens and just accept that 3-4k in attendance is about as good as we can do unless the opponent brings in extra butts in seats or some other exception to the rule (CIT Championship, for example). I know we all get beaten down by the lack of support, but maybe its time to embrace the fact that we all love the teams of our alma mater and that is our way of being the cool minority of folks who care.

We can still win with very low attendance, as McCasland and Johnny Jones have shown, when the coaching is good. At some point, I know we lose those coaches to go up the food chain, but we are going to lose them anyway if we are good for a decent stretch. 

We have to continue to build the fanbase.  If we can draw 10k students to a football game, we can get 3,000 or 4,000 to a basketball game.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

When we have a winning season we gain hardcore fans...in losing season you might...might get a positive net gain for fans but it’s probably very minimal. Basketball at North Texas has been a crater and McCasland has done his part to make this program at least respectable. But you still don’t have those signature wins against opponents casual fans know, no tourney births, no conference championships. You’re not going to fill the Super Pit without checking those blocks...consistently. 

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

No, we don’t just “come to grips” with mediocrity. 

11 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

No, we don’t just “come to grips” with mediocrity. 

Around 4,500 is the average Division 1 attendance. If we can do 5k a night I would say that’s great. 7k a night would be absolutely amazing. I think we should have more fans, but we aren’t doing horrible with attendance right now. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Around 4,500 is the average Division 1 attendance. If we can do 5k a night I would say that’s great. 7k a night would be absolutely amazing. I think we should have more fans, but we aren’t doing horrible with attendance right now. 

We have 40,000 students and 200,000 alumni living within about an hour of campus. We are a little bigger than “average”.  And our sights need to be set appropriately. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I thought the students that were there were organized, loud, and into the game.  As long as more continue to show up each game, we will continue to improve attendance.  We all know Benford killed attendance and that is not going to reverse itself quickly, but we are on the right track.  I attended 0 games during the Benford debacle, but have been to about 10 games over the last two years.  I will be there today and the last two games.

• Upvote 1

I watched the student section at the last game for a while and they seem to be having a good time over.  I know some students are to kewl to get that involved. I know some schools are taking out the upper deck and putting in luxury boxes.  Makes the arena look smaller and the fans are pushed into the lower areas.  I know that would not help us right now but is the pit too big?   I think we should have a lot bigger crowds with this team this year. I was disappointed in the crowd last game.  This is a good team and fun to watch, the games only last about two hours.

Do students still go home to DFW on the weekends to wash their clothes at home.  That was a problem back in the 70's anyway.  Never understood it, Denton was a blast but on Fridays the dorm parking lots would empty out. 

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I watched the student section at the last game for a while and they seem to be having a good time over.  I know some students are to kewl to get that involved. I know some schools are taking out the upper deck and putting in luxury boxes.  Makes the arena look smaller and the fans are pushed into the lower areas.  I know that would not help us right now but is the pit too big?   I think we should have a lot bigger crowds with this team this year. I was disappointed in the crowd last game.  This is a good team and fun to watch, the games only last about two hours.

Do students still go home to DFW on the weekends to wash their clothes at home.  That was a problem back in the 70's anyway.  Never understood it, Denton was a blast but on Fridays the dorm parking lots would empty out. 

The super pit wouldn’t be too big if we supported our teams like a respectable fan base. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1